Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"More Better" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

More better
  Webster and I are crying together
  sounds right to me...
  Ahhh! *runs*
View Results

Virety

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:13 pm
Does anyone else dislike the phrase "more better"? I shudder as if nails are being driven into my brain when I hear people say that.
I feel like slapping people who say it Purposly never mind on accident. Some epople actually think it is a correct phrase, I cry when those people start to argue with me. It's just, wrong.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:53 am
Yup, and all the others of the same type (like "more smarter" or "more prettier"). It bugs me. I have to gently remind them that the "-er" suffix already means "more" and that they are just making their sentences longer.  

Kukushka

Mira_Russ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:55 pm
I've seen it frequently too. Don't people read anymore? It seems like such a simple thing to understand, yet so many people feel it necessary to add that more when they're already using a superlative... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:56 am
I work in a professional office setting and some of my coworkers say this all the time! It always makes me flinch. I just don't get how someone so illiterate can make it in the real world.  

ShyBFly

Setsu-P has stepped out

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:47 am
elite --> eliter --> elitest?!

No. Same goes for "more better". People used to outgrow that kind of thing around first grade.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:15 am
Every now and then I'll say something like that then have to rewind it in my head because I know it didn't sound right. Then I correct myself. I talk faster than I think, so it's a general mistake. But I definitely don't say it often and I know it's wrong. But it is sad that there are people who think it is right, like my brother would see no problem with that statement.  

Once Was

Songo-Hanli Aanali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
It is redundant. It is like saying it is better-er.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:43 pm
ARGH! *rips out hair* I hear this all the time. It drives me crazy. burning_eyes Learn how to talk, people!  

Miko_Sohma

applecyder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:41 am
That is the one mistake that can make my mom, my sister and I go like this: gonk simultaneously  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:45 pm
Better : even more gooder than Bette  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 am
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

A redundancy fit for a redundant world.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:21 pm
I hate it. I'd rather someone use 'much better'.  

Wumps

Tipsy Tipper

YourLovelyBear

Beloved Bear

17,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:48 pm
I have this weird tendency to say "more better" after I say that something is better, but what I call "more better" isn't supposed to be best, so I just end up using "more better". Should I be beaten down with metal bats for doing that? ._."  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:12 pm
Even though it annoys me to hear people say that, it's also sort of funny.  

The Shoe Pile

Lekonua

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:22 pm
Virety
Does anyone else dislike the phrase "more better"? I shudder as if nails are being driven into my brain when I hear people say that.
I feel like slapping people who say it Purposly never mind on accident. Some epople actually think it is a correct phrase, I cry when those people start to argue with me. It's just, wrong.

I say it on purpose sometimes as a reference to Jack Sparrow.

"No! Much more better! It is a drawring of a key."

smile  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas