Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
From where do you learn grammar? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 am
Okay, I think we've established that grammar isn't being taught in school well enough, if at all. So, that begs the question, where do you grammarians who are still in school learn the rules of grammar?

I can see how you can acquire some of the skills through osmosis by reading a lot, but that doesn't account for knowing the rules and the vocabulary used to describe the rules... at least not unless you're reading grammar references.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:39 am
I learned mine from reading. I started reading adult level and length novels in fourth grade. Is till remember that first one: Jedi Search, by Kevin J. Anderson, 365 pages. 'Twas a good book, too.  

Shade Skypage

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:45 am
Shinta Hitokiri
I learned mine from reading. I started reading adult level and length novels in fourth grade. Is till remember that first one: Jedi Search, by Kevin J. Anderson, 365 pages. 'Twas a good book, too.

Yes, but do you know the vernacular of linguistics as it pertains to grammar? i.e. "noun", "adjective", "adverb", "preposition", etc. Can you identify the different parts of speech in the text that you read? If so, are those books where you got them from?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 am
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri

Yes, but do you know the vernacular of linguistics as it pertains to grammar? i.e. "noun", "adjective", "adverb", "preposition", etc. Can you identify the different parts of speech in the text that you read? If so, are those books where you got them from?

Oh, I learned most of that in grade school and Jr. High. I know how to properly use the English language quite well, even though some of the names of certain parts of speech I don't neccessarily remember the names of. If yo can properly use it, the parts of speech don't matter so much as it does to one who is trying to learn to use them properly.  

Shade Skypage

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:06 pm
Shinta Hitokiri
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri

Oh, I learned most of that in grade school and Jr. High. I know how to properly use the English language quite well, even though some of the names of certain parts of speech I don't neccessarily remember the names of. If yo can properly use it, the parts of speech don't matter so much as it does to one who is trying to learn to use them properly.

So they DO teach it in schools... So then, is it that they don't reinforce it later on?

I don't actually think it's important to do identify those in day-to-day practice. But I do think it's important to have learned it at some point so that you know when you're breaking the rules, so you can make a conscious decision of whether you mean to do so or not.... as opposed to just being ignorant and writing meaningless gibberish and think it's okay.

I also think this base of knowledge is important for learning new languages, which, in turn, makes you more adept as understanding new ideas.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm
As a tutor, I have to constantly update myself to be able to help a wide range of students. From freshmen to graduate students to doctors, they all have a need for grammar and spelling correction. So in order to learn the proper ways, I read worksheets and books, attend weekly workshops, and ask the elder tutors. ^.^ This has also helped me to establish my vocabulary, although I admit it could use some work.

Also, I think just reviewing over and over again what the different parts of speech and things like that gets it stuck in your head. I just review worksheets that we use to help those whose first language is not English.  

Patron with a Mission

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:31 pm
I learned my Grammar froma dear friend who also taught me the lanuge it in its self.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:48 pm
:: raises hand:: Grade school! I knew it all perfectly by the fifth grade and they still drill it into my head to this day! I swear, my school must have been the only grade school to teach it. I have to say, I am quite sick of every year going to English class and expecting a schooling on proper grammar for the first month and a half.  

red_moon_wolfess

Kukushka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:27 pm
Relentless correction from my father.

That, and I went to French schools. Grammar is really important there.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:14 pm
I learn though books and this guild, simple as that. biggrin  

Zealot of Insanity

CristoVII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:13 pm
I suppose I got my grammar from participating in the Model U.N.; diplomacy calls for big words!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 pm
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri

So they DO teach it in schools... So then, is it that they don't reinforce it later on?

I don't actually think it's important to do identify those in day-to-day practice. But I do think it's important to have learned it at some point so that you know when you're breaking the rules, so you can make a conscious decision of whether you mean to do so or not.... as opposed to just being ignorant and writing meaningless gibberish and think it's okay.

I also think this base of knowledge is important for learning new languages, which, in turn, makes you more adept as understanding new ideas.

Makes sense to me. I'm rather happy with knowing english, because it's one of the more useful languages, at least from what I've read when it comes to having descriptive words, amongst other things.  

Shade Skypage

The_0ther_Account

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:30 pm
I learn my grammer all from school. Other than that, I'm not sure where I learn it. Probably from reading a lot, too, but I couldn't tell you exactly how to put a complicated sentence together, from a critical point of view.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:34 pm
abarrach
Okay, I think we've established that grammar isn't being taught in school well enough, if at all. So, that begs the question, where do you grammarians who are still in school learn the rules of grammar?

I can see how you can acquire some of the skills through osmosis by reading a lot, but that doesn't account for knowing the rules and the vocabulary used to describe the rules... at least not unless you're reading grammar references.

I read immensely. I read a lot of Anne Mccaffrey, Issac Asimov, and when I was only nine years old, I read the Hobbit, that's the book I chose to do my Grade four book report on, I got a 100% Most students chose books like "Arthur" , and yet I read, and did a report on what was supposedly a Grade 11 book.  

Mrkurosakie

Woodnut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Kukushka
Relentless correction from my father.

Same here! My grade school gave me a good understanding of grammar, but it was my dad who was always making sure I was speaking properly.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff