Submit

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:21 pm
I've had many discussions about magic, since it seem to be so varied in every book I've read. For example in the Circle books by Tamora Pierce, the magic is somewhat elemental, yet in others there are forms of sorcery (usually an inherent power using ones own strength) or wizardry (usually book learned spells or incantations).

I've often thought about what I would want to do if I could have magic, I think I would probably be somewhat earthy, maybe growing plants or healing magic or some such. I'm curious to see what you all would do if you could.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:24 am
I'm obsessed with air magic. Well, elemental magic in general, mostly the main four elements, but air the most. It's just so much fun. There's so many things that can be done with air, and then there are things you can half-make up. The "rules" for elemental magic aren't set in stone, at all. More like drawn in sand. And you can erase and add as you see fit. So, yeah. I'd have some kind of elemental control, preferably air, but any of the elements would be fun.  

NightIntent
Captain

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:14 pm
Chances are, I'd be best at teleportation and/or transformation spells. o.o;  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:25 pm
Gotta love wizards especialy the solid regemented ones bending the forces that be to there will. Verbal, Somatic, Material components throw in some written formulas ahhh good stuff. Garth Nix and the Abhorsen books was pretty good as far as Charter magic goes. A good wizard can do anything.  

Onimaru-Sama

cpt_morgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:04 pm
i'd want the ability to become invisible when i chose to do so. it has its ups and downs, granted, but it'd be righteous! i'd be a fantastic ninja!
ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:58 pm
I'm reading a book now(Treason's Keep-Jennifer Fallon) and the main character draws her magic through the primal gods, God of war, god of thieves, god of love, ect. I think that it would be neat, only you would have to be on the gods good side. I think i would want elemental magic. Mother Nature is quite amazing...... wink  

Flux_o_color

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:34 pm
all magic is awsume. I like the magic of being able to change shapes, or shape-shifters. als having the power to use your mind and telepathy and all that sort. magic trinkets and all those things would be awsume... mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:31 pm
I like inherited stuff. In books when a charater has inherited magic it's stronger.  

amagirl

Marlaina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:26 am
air magic... proably the inherited kind that you need to train up a bit... because then i would appreciate it more and i could do fun stuff like fly and heal people  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:34 pm
Rune magic by far. If you know the TRUE name of something you can bend it to your will with a simple rune set even if it is only drawn in the air. This would give you the power to control all the world and it's primal elements.  

CelticVampChik

Nebbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:33 pm
I was thinking about this the other day when someone asked me to join a Harry Potter RPG, and I'd need to pick out my classes. I didn't join the RPG, but I was thinking that of those types, I'd probably be good at potions (due to my chemistry skills, it's an analogy anyways), Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology, and probably Transfiguration. And I'd like shape-changey powers.
Sorry to throw a HP slant to things... but it's all I got at the moment.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 am
Elemental - there's just something about nature at your fingertips.

It'd have to be proper, innate arcane sorcery, though, rather than the sort of power you activated with a wand or a charm. For me, there's too much room for error if you're having to rely on something else - especially a tangible object.  

Nuala

Kolibris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:52 pm
I like elemental magic, too. Usually the way people normally represent it, as controlled with thoughts or feelings or things, but I like personifying it. I started a story once (got maybe two paragraphs in and stopped) and the character actually talked to the wind she controlled. It's an interesting concept. Means she was never, ever alone.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:46 am
I like divination: scrying, with cards, numerology, runes, tarot cards. So it would probably be something with runes or the ability to heal  

Merlinssister

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:58 am
I hate characters that have magic that is too strong, well, hate is a strong word, i just prefer characters to have more weakness, magically anyway. A classic example is David Eddings. The magic employed in the Belgariad and Mallorian series' by the disciples (i.e. Belgarath) doesn't seem to have that many limitations, its just the Will and the Word, and though these books were awesome, all-powerful characters are not.
The best form of magic in a fantasy book (that i have read obviously) is in Robin Hobb's trilogies The Farseer and The Tawny Man. In these there are two types of magic, the Skill and the Wit, both are very simplistic, both have been stunted or corrupted over time. The Skill is possessed only by those of the royal line and involves being able to speak telepathically with others and affect minds over long distances, the Wit is considered a 'dirty' magic and means the user can bond completely with an animal, and communicate with others to some extent, i wont go into any more details, i don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read them!
There is so much more to it than that, but there are twists and turns in these stories that are so masterfully woven i am not worthy to speak of them!

Anyway, that's my opinion!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces