Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.
Nana Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:51 pm
User Image
1 :: Story
2 :: Creator
3 :: Volumes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:54 pm
Story

Nana Komatsu is a young woman who's endured an unending string of boyfriend problems. Moving to Tokyo, she's hoping to take control of her life and put all those messy misadventures behind her. She's looking for love and she's hoping to find it in the big city.

Nana Osaki, on the other hand, is cool, confident and focused. She swaggers into town and proceeds to kick down the doors to Tokyo's underground punk scene. She's got a dream and won't give up until she becomes Japan's No. 1 rock'n'roll superstar.

This is the story of two 20-year-old women who share the same name. Even though they come from completely different backgrounds, they somehow meet and become best friends. The world of Nana is a world exploding with sex, music, fashion, gossip and all-night parties.

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:56 pm
Creator

Ai Yazawa is the creator of many popular manga titles, including Tenshi Nanka Janai (I'm No Angel) and Gokinjo Monogatari (Neighborhood Story). Another series, Kagen no Tsuki (Last Quarter), was made into a live-action movie and released in late 2004. American readers were introduced to Yazawa's stylish and sexy storytelling in 2002 when her title Paradise Kiss was translated into English.

Nana has become the all-time best selling shojo title from Japanese publishing giant, Shueisha. Cumulative sales from the first 12 graphic novels have sold more than 22 million copies and the series even garnered a Shogakukan Manga Award in the Girls' category in 2003. A live-action Nana movie hit Japanese theaters in the fall of 2005 with a sequel following soon after.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:09 pm
Volumes
Status in Japan :: on hiatus (due to author's health) with 21 volumes so far
Status in US :: 21/? released

User Image
Volume 1
Nana Komatsu is a young woman who's endured an unending string of boyfriend problems. Moving to Tokyo, she's hoping to take control of her life and put all those messy misadventures behind her. She's looking for love and she's hoping to find it in the big city. Nana Osaki, on the other hand, is cool, confident and focused. She swaggers into town and proceeds to kick down the doors to Tokyo's underground punk scene. She's got a dream and won't give up until she becomes Japan's No. 1 rock'n'roll superstar. This is the story of two 20-year-old women who share the same name. Even though they come from completely different backgrounds, they somehow meet and become best friends. The world of Nana is a world exploding with sex, music, fashion, gossip and all-night parties.

User Image
Volume 2
Anxious to get into a Tokyo groove, both women are on the prowl for a funky and cheap place to live. But inexpensive apartments in Japan's capital city are hard to find. Thank goodness each Nana has a clique of cool friends willing to help out. Too bad these friends are a little wiggy!

User Image
Volume 3
Things are slowly coming together for Nana Osaki. The guitarist and drummer from her old band have joined her in Tokyo and she's finally found a ripping new bass player to replace Ren Honjo. The Black Stones are back and they're ready to kick some a**. Nana Komatsu, however, can't shake her old nemesis, the Demon Lord. She's stuck in a dead-end job and there's trouble brewing with her boyfriend, Shoji. He's been working late and hasn't exactly been the most attentive lover. Poor Nana. Life in Tokyo is turning out to be a total bummer.

User Image
Volume 4
Nana K.'s perfect Tokyo life is crumbling around her. She can't keep a job, she can't keep any money, and now it looks like she can't even keep her boyfriend! But luckily, a tasty nugget of gossip about Nana O.'s past love life helps Nana K. keep her mind off her own troubles. If she can play the role of cupid for her best friend, can Nana K. get closer to her own happy ending?

User Image
Volume 5
Nana K. is going home--for an awesome Trapnest concert! She drags Nana O. along, convinced that somehow Ren will sense his ex-flame in the audience. But life is never that easy, and Nana O. isn't sure if she even wants Ren back. As for Nana K., is she prepared for Trapnest to come down off the stage and into her life, or will her fan-girl attitude land her in a heap of trouble?

User Image
Volume 6
Nana's band Blast is taking off in a big way--from sold-out club dates to a record label waving a contract at them. But the Trapnest menace still lurks, stealing away everything she cares for. Trapnest took her boyfriend, and even though Ren is back in her life, his band still comes first. And now her trusty sidekick Hachi is being lured away by Trapnest bassist Takumi. But this time, Nana won't give up without a fight!

User Image
Volume 7
Hachi was happy to be Blast's biggest cheerleader, but now that the band is taking off, she's discovering that there are hordes of fans eager to take her place. At the same time, her involvement with Trapnest hottie Takumi is turning into a romantic entanglement she hadn't expected. When a chance for another kind of happiness presents itself, will Hachi be strong enough to face the difficult choices that result?

User Image
Volume 8
Hachi's happiness with Nobu is slipping through her fingers as an unexpected complication with Takumi threatens to upend her entire life. And unlike her past romantic woes, the choice she makes now will change the lives of everyone around her.

User Image
Volume 9
Takumi and Hachi are getting married, but it's far from a joyous announcement. Nobu and Nana are devastated, and even Takumi's bandmates take the news hard. With paparazzi skulking around for a new scandal to exploit and tensions between Trapnest and Blast on high alert, will Hachi ever get her happily ever after?

User Image
Volume 10
Being engaged isn't as wonderful as Hachi thought it would be. She has a trendy new apartment, but she's isolated from all her friends and Takumi is hardly ever home. When scandal hits hard, Trapnest (and her fiancé) flee to Europe, and Hachi is left to watch Blast suffer in the scandal rags and tabloid shows.

User Image
Volume 11
With the tabloids still out for blood, Nana and her Blast bandmates move into a weird dorm building run by their agency. But they've barely got enough time to settle into their new digs because their crammed schedule has them running from music studio to TV interview. The stress of band life and dealing with a disintegrating Ren have started to take their toll on Nana. If she collapses now, will she ever get back up?

User Image
Volume 12
Hachi tells herself that she's got her eye on the future and her life with Takumi, but she just can't let go of the past and her friendship with Nana and the rest of Blast--especially Nobu. And the tangle gets thicker when Hachi's wedding has to be postponed in favor of Nana and Ren's nuptials. Can Hachi handle another delay in her happily-ever-after?

User Image
Volume 13
Hachi hasn't seen Nana or the rest of Blast since she moved in with Takumi, and Shin and Reira's joint birthday party seems like the perfect chance for a little reunion. But Takumi is furious at Hachi for crashing the event, and she is forced to choose Takumi over Nana one more time. But was this Hachi's last chance to get back in Nana's life?

User Image
Volume 14
As Blast gears up for their major label debut, their fan club starts mobilizing. Led by the chic Shion, these ladies are serious fans who won't let anyone mess with their band. But the fan club has it out for Misato, a maverick fan who has gotten too close to Nana. What will they say when they find out Misato is applying for a job with Blast?!

User Image
Volume 15
One of the tabloids hounding Blast and Trapnest have photos that make it look like Reira and Ren are having an affair. With Nana and Ren's engagement recently made public, the photos could spell doom for both bands. Takumi's willing to do whatever it takes to save his band, but how will it affect Hachi and the happily ever after she's still hoping for?

User Image
Volume 16
Blast is at the top of the charts, and the band is making all kinds of P.R. appearances. Nana just wants to sing though, and all the marketing is starting to wear on her. A party planned for the loyal fans might be just what she needs to cheer her up. But there are secrets about her past lurking in Osaka, and the magazine Search Weekly is determined to bring them to light!

User Image
Volume 17
Ever since she got engaged to Takumi and moved out of apartment 707, Hachi has felt like she's slipping out of Nana's life. When the tabloids start digging up Nana's troubled family history, Hachi tries to step in and take care of things. But will her good intentions stir up more trouble? Blast is rocketing to stardom, and the price for bringing them down keeps going up.

User Image
Volume 18
Things aren't looking good for Blast. Shin, under extreme stress from the band's rising success and his relationship with Reira, seeks out reconciliation wherever he can. Reestablishing ties with his own family turns out to be a horrible failure, and before he can connect Nana with her unknown little sister, Shin gets arrested! Is this the end of Blast?!

User Image
Volume 19
The tabloid feeding frenzy has finally brought Blast down, but Nana is determined to keep hope alive. She's going to take a gig as a solo artist, and even accept acting jobs she has no interest in. As long as she keeps herself in the spotlight, she knows there's a chance Blast can make a comeback. But while all eyes are on Nana, what's happening to her friends in the background?!

User Image
Volume 20
Ren's drug use is spiraling out of control and he doesn't want to drag Trapnest down with him. Neither Takumi nor Reira are willing to let Ren quit the band, and both do their best to give him the time he needs to get it together. But Ren isn't sure this is something he can handle on his own. Will he turn to Nana for help, or will their strained relationship make him try to face his demons alone?

User Image
Volume 21
Tragedy strikes as the Search Weekly team takes their snooping too far! Hounded to the limit by remorseless reporters, Ren spins his car off the icy road in a horrible accident that will change the course of everyone's future...

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

serenityxo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:44 pm
o___o...
I'm surprised that no one has posted anything about Nana yet! It's a great manga and the anime and movie are really good too ^^

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 pm

.: ♪ :: • ° { ~ › ♪(‹•
星に願いを恋こそ今すべて•›)‹ ~ } ° • :: ♪ :.

w00t thanks for bringing this one to life.

Nana is an excellent story with a range of Characters. It's down-to-earth, and has all of Yazawa-sensei's signature elements, a sexy style, realistic plot, and just being too addictive for words. The Movie and anime are both great too and I think that they were brought to life and motion in the best way possible.

.: ♪ :: • ° { ~ › ♪
(‹•The Very hope of love, is now entirely to the stars•›‹ ~ } ° • :: ♪ :.

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Selene_Death_Dealear

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 pm
I love Nana. It's really interesting. The story is like one huge love triangle in it's own way. I love the anime series. I have that. But I read Nana Manga in my Shojo Beat Magazine. I haven't seen the movies yet. My friend says they're really good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:29 pm

.: ♪ :: • ° { ~ › ♪(‹•
星に願いを恋こそ今すべて•›)‹ ~ } ° • :: ♪ :.

The movies are excellent! <3

I just got my friend into Nana. he likes Shoujo more than Shounen, because it is a more real genre. He loves Nana now, because he knows it's real and he thinks it's good, and he has pity for Hachiko. And he thinks Nana O. is too cool and loves her.

.: ♪ :: • ° { ~ › ♪
(‹•The Very hope of love, is now entirely to the stars•›‹ ~ } ° • :: ♪ :.

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

A Kiss of Starlight

Sparkly Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:59 pm
I've noticed that allot of people don't like Hachiko. Anyone got any idea why that is? I think she's sweet, cute, and quite lovable! XP

I didn't like the series at first because of it's art style but I'm used to it now and it's bumped up to one of my most favorite series ever.

I find now that I start baming things on the Demon Lord too....~_~;; Anyone else notice they've done that?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 am
Hime_Tsuki
I've noticed that allot of people don't like Hachiko. Anyone got any idea why that is? I think she's sweet, cute, and quite lovable! XP

I didn't like the series at first because of it's art style but I'm used to it now and it's bumped up to one of my most favorite series ever.

I find now that I start baming things on the Demon Lord too....~_~;; Anyone else notice they've done that?

I noticed that about Hachi too, but I don't really know why either...I love Hachi. Yeah, she does make stupid choices sometimes, but that makes her more human, and I really like that in a character.

lol...I can't say that I've ever blamed anything on the demon lord.

kel aka gandy
Captain

PrinceElly
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:03 pm
kel aka gandy
Hime_Tsuki

I noticed that about Hachi too, but I don't really know why either...I love Hachi. Yeah, she does make stupid choices sometimes, but that makes her more human, and I really like that in a character.

lol...I can't say that I've ever blamed anything on the demon lord.

I think it's because a lot of manga readers are not really into preppier, happier people all the time. A lot of fans rebel when stuff gets popular, and Hachiko is a more typical girl than Nana. I really like both Nanas.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:53 am
PrinceElly
I think it's because a lot of manga readers are not really into preppier, happier people all the time. A lot of fans rebel when stuff gets popular, and Hachiko is a more typical girl than Nana. I really like both Nanas.

Hmm...I don't know that I've ever thought of it like that before, but that's true...

kel aka gandy
Captain

A Kiss of Starlight

Sparkly Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:45 pm
I have noticed that. Allot of girls these days are complaining about character's being too cheerful and stuff.

I don't see why personally as it's never bothered me but...that's must me I guess. I have a friend who refers to character like Hachikor and Usagi for example as "Happy-go-lucky girls". lol

Maybe another reason they don't bother me is that I'm pretty much a happy go lucky girl myself. SO it doesn't bother me to see characters who act more like I do.

I mean I love nana too but Hachiko just has an air about her that I love.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:58 pm
i noly read a few of the manga so far, but i love it. its a pretty kool manga 3nodding  

Kyouka_Maiden_Rei

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:17 pm

.: ✖ :♥: ☆ * { ~ › ♪(‹•
星に願いを恋こそ今すべて•›) ♪ ‹ ~ } * ☆ :♥: ✖ :.

Okay I actually didn't like Hachi not for the reason that she was so happy and bubbly I am probably one of the happiest people around, and I've only bee depressed on in the past year. I didn't like Hachi because she was so boy-crazy and rushed into relationships to quickly. I know that that is something that a lot of girls (and guys too) do, but still it annoyed me. And there was just something about her that I didn't like very much in the beginning.

Right now though, we're at the part in the series where I really start to like her...

I start to sympathize with her. It's were I relies she is just like your normal young-woman at that age full of insecurities, and it's also at the point where I feel like I want to protect her from the world, and that I want to just hold her and let her know that she's a good, kind, and sweet person, who only deserves the best.

That's the genius of Yazawa-sensei though. Her series are so real, and the characters are too, they change over time, and she makes your feelings towards them change over time too. So it's as if they are really people who are alive, because there are people I used to hate and now I get along with them and people I once liked that I hate.

I too blame things on the Demon Lord too... :blush:

.: ✖ :♥: ☆ * { ~ › ♪
(‹•The Very hope of love, is now entirely to the stars•›) ♪ ‹ ~ } * ☆ :♥: ✖ :.

.: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games