Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.
Godchild/The Cain Saga Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:09 am
User Image
1 :: Story
2 :: Creator
3 :: Volumes
User Image
4 :: Story
5 :: Volumes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:11 am
Story
[The Cain Saga]

Delve into the tortured past of Earl Cain C. Hargreaves, charismatic heir to a wealthy family full of secrets, lies and unthinkable crimes. The prequel to the Godchild series, The Cain Saga follows the young Cain as he attempts to unravel the secrets of his birth, all the while solving each new mystery that comes his way.

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:15 am
Creator

Kaori Yuki was born in Tokyo, Japan, and started drawing at a very early age.

Following her debut work Natsufuku no Erie (Erie in Summer Uniform) in the Japanese magazine Bessatsu Hana to Yume (1987), she wrote a compelling series of short stories: Zankoku na Douwatachi (Cruel Fairytales), Neji (Screw), and Sareki Ôkoku (Gravel Kingdom).

As proven by her best-selling series Angel Sanctuary and The Cain Saga, her celebrated body of work has etched an indelible mark in the gothic comics genre. She likes mysteries and British films, and is a fan of the movie Dead Poets Society and the show Twin Peaks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:22 am
Volumes
[The Cain Saga]
Status in Japan :: complete at 5 volumes
Status in US :: 5/5 released

User Image
Volume 1: Forgotten Juliet
Five gripping stories of love, friendship and betrayal--"Forgotten Juliet," "Branded Bibi," "The Youths Who Stopped Time," "Double," and "The Death of Cleo"--comprise this poignant first installment of Kaori Yuki's hit gothic manga series. Gothic fans will be left in awe long after this series has ended!

User Image
Volume 2: The Sound of a Boy Hatching
From the moment Cain's stepsister Mary Weather joins the cast in "The Hanged Man," you'll be lost again in the twisting catacombs of the Hargreaves family history where you'll uncover the secret of Cain's mysterious lineage... But is it really the truth or just another false turn on the way out of Kaori Yuki's dark labyrinth?

User Image
Volume 3: Kafka
More secrets of the Hargreaves legacy are revealed! Cain meets two people destined to impact the future of the family--one might be a vampire, and the other is much closer to Cain than he could imagine. And in a psychologically twisted tale of identity crisis, "Ellie in Summer Clothes," a young girl wakes up to discover she's not who or what she thought she was at all.

User Image
Volume 4 part 1: The Seal of the Red Ram part 1
Kaori Yuki's latest installment of The Cain Saga introduces Gilbert, the madman son of Lord Lauderdale; Meridiana, a clairvoyant mystery woman; and something--or someone--nasty suspended in midair in Dr. Disraeli's lab. Plus, an arranged marriage meant to curb Cain's bad behavior turns ugly when the bride, Emeline, has an unhappy meeting with none other than Jack the Ripper.

User Image
Volume 4 part 2: The Seal of the Red Ram part 2
The death of Cain's would-be fiancée Emeline was only the beginning of the Lauderdale family troubles. Her mentally unstable brother Gilbert seems to have pulled himself together, only to discover that his father has also been brutally murdered. And just as Cain is drawn deeper into the family's mysteries, his own sister Mary disappears!

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 am
Story
[Godchild]

Deep in the heart of 19th Century London, a young nobleman named Cain walks the shadowy cobblestone streets of the aristocratic society into which he was born. Yet beneath his regal bearing lies a pained existence that haunts his very soul. Forced to become an Earl upon the untimely death of his father, Cain assumes the role of head of the Hargreaves, a noble family with a dark past. With Riff, his faithful manservant, Cain investigates his father's alleged involvement with a secret organization known as Delilah.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:41 am
Volumes
[Godchild]
Status in Japan :: complete at 8 volumes
Status in US :: 8/8 released

User Image
Volume 1
Deep in the heart of 19th century London, a young nobleman named Cain walks the shadowy cobblestone streets of the aristocratic society in which he was born. Forced to become an Earl upon the untimely death of his father, Cain assumes the role of head of the Hargreaves, a noble family with a dark past. With Riff, his faithful manservant, and Marie Weather, his 10-year-old half sister, Cain investigates the mysterious crimes that seem to follow him wherever he goes. Four gripping tales of murder and mayhem complete this chilling first installment from the renowned author of Angel Sanctuary. Godchild is a manga series that gothic fans shouldn't miss!

User Image
Volume 2
Red butterflies, demon possession, tainted jam, and murder… Well-loved manga creator Kaori Yuki presents the second installment of Godchild written in four parts, with just the right amount of suspense and bizarre plot twists guaranteed to make gothic comics fans fall in love with this series even more!

User Image
Volume 3
A grotesque gift holds a clue to the Cain's family past; a mortician's daughter has deadly designs on one of Cain's closest friends; and a woman from Riff's past may have murder on her mind. Enjoy three new tales destined to delight and disturb from the imagination of master storyteller Kaori Yuki!

User Image
Volume 4
Missing boys and a strange little girl who shouldn't exist usher us into the fourth volume of Godchild, where we learn more about Dr. Disraeli and his complicated connection to Cain's father and the secret society of DELILAH.

User Image
Volume 5
Cain crosses a high official of the secret society of DELILAH when he attempts to stop a massacre of socialites at the lushly restored Crimone Gardens. And later, an old nursery rhyme plays out to eerie perfection during a fateful carriage ride in the sinister "Solomon Grundy's Sunday."

User Image
Volume 6
Cain stumbles on a secret that will change his life forever. It's not only the Hargreaves who harbor skeletons in their closet. To whom can you turn when the only person you ever trusted betrays you beyond your worst nightmares?

User Image
Volume 7
Shall the son suffer for the continued sins of the father? Alexis hatches an evil plan involving a beautiful girl with a sick fascination for his son. And could Jizabel's hatred of Cain also stem from their father? Step into the past as we learn more about the tortured early life of Dr. Disraeli!

User Image
Volume 8
It is time for the truth to be told. At last, all the secrets of the Hargreaves family are brought from the dark into the harsh light of day, as Cain's epic adventures draw to a close.. Is Cain ready to find out who he truly is? Are you ready?

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:38 pm
*Drools

Godchild

Is so amazing, i got addicted after the 1st volume like most of my shojo stuff

Cain is so nonchalont about everything he does, and he has his own way to go about doing things.

But question is it just me or is there feelings beyond friends for riff and cain???  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 am
Can you say awesome. My grandmother hates that i read this and asks how i can be so morose, but i'm not i just like interesting stories and this is definately an interesting story  

Meiburu

1,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

ice_blu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 pm
Nice thread~!

Well love the series, of course. It's verygood, and Kaori Yuki's art is wonderful. And she does dark themes good, in my opinion.

I can't wait for next month's volume of Godchild. I'm dying wondering what's gonna to happen to certain people and such~ Come on May, come faster, LOL.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 pm
Godchild is my all time favorite manga. I love it! Whenever it comes out, I make my Mom buy it for me ahead of time (I love Chapters. They send it to me early ^^ I usually get it on the day it comes out or a day or two before biggrin )

Whee~! Kaori Yuki Rocks!!  

puppy444219

850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Rune WolfHaven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:55 am
I love Godchild! I can't buy the Cain Saga, because...Well, I'm only sixteen and...I'd feel really guilty about buying them. My parents probaly would for me, only if they didn't notice they were rated M, but I feel bad about making them do that.
Anyways, I love it. Cain is so cool and I love the close relationships he has with Mary Weather and Riff. Although I do hate how much of a player he is...
I only have two volumes so far, but it is so amazing and I am absolutely hooked. Probably my favorite manga right now.

@Lyoko_Alchemist: Well, if you look at the article for it on Wikipedia, it says it's supposed to be "shonen-ai." So I think the relationship between Riff and Cain is supposed to be something more!! I really hope it is. I love shonen-ai heart  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:53 pm
User Image

I've decided to try and complete reading the Cain Saga before really getting far in Godchild, but due to some financial issues I'll have to wait until at least next year to begin buying all the books.

My favorite aspects of the Godchild and Cain Saga series most definitely include the intriguing art, but the historically accurate legends and the poetic usage of nursery rhymes and other Victorian literature is fascinating and keeps my attention fully on the stories. Usually in series like these, the focus on accuracy drowns out the actual plot and style, but Kaori manages to keep her artwork absolutely gorgeous and her storyline even more intriguing for that reason.

User Image

Faking Every Tear

Shadow Queen Megami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 am
i love godchild and cain saga, there two of the greatest mangas  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:58 pm
I like Godchild, but I'm afraid to read beyond volume3... how explicit and mature is the rest? and knowing manga, I'm a bit scared

Anyone read volume 4 or onwards?  

I Am Hello Kitty -tu_ut-

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:05 pm
Halloo_ChiChi
I like Godchild, but I'm afraid to read beyond volume3... how explicit and mature is the rest? and knowing manga, I'm a bit scared

Anyone read volume 4 or onwards?

I've read through 6 so far (as much as has been published), and it hasn't been anything more mature than it was in the earlier volumes. There's a little bit of crossdressing, and some more inuendos, but nothing other than what you'll have already read. I can't vouch for the Cain Saga yet though, cuz I haven't been able to read it yet.

.: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games