Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gah, here's another so-called 'expert'... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 pm
Link.

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:05 am
She might be right. I have seen a lot of people getting all worked up because of grammar snobs that think they know better than everyone else. I know her way would probably work better for me. ninja

ljosberinn

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:25 am
Actually Dark, I rather agree with her modus operandi. She isn't saying not to push for proper grammar, just not to be a d**k about it. I think her approach works fine. I know I don't respond well to people who act like they're better than I, so I can't expect it from others.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:48 am
I think she's right as well. Maybe that's what gets Grammar Nazis in trouble. ^^;
Then again, some people need to be hit with a clue-by-twelve to show they're killing the English language. -_-  

SonarP

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:22 am
" Yes, make it clear that your concerns are eccentric preferences of yours."

So now grammar is an eccentric preference?! Worse yet, you lot are agreeing with this?!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:32 pm
Quote:
We do not gain any persuasive power by pointing out that most people agree with us.

She may have a point there. xp  

Patron with a Mission

Chase Keyhole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:47 pm
Blah... With some people, they are just not trying, it's not as if they don't know any better. Actually that's how it is with a lot of people on internet.

I say yell at them!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:51 pm
DarkElf27
" Yes, make it clear that your concerns are eccentric preferences of yours."

So now grammar is an eccentric preference?! Worse yet, you lot are agreeing with this?!
Well, I agree with you. I still believe that English-speaking individuals should know how to speak English!!  

The Lady Narcissa

The Lady Narcissa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:52 pm
Chase Keyhole
Blah... With some people, they are just not trying, it's not as if they don't know any better. Actually that's how it is with a lot of people on internet.

I say yell at them!
3nodding Exactly!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 am
See the title "Interpersonal Edge"? This article is about how to correct people's grammar without being offensive, and while I don't think that grammar is "an eccentric preference", I agree that many people don't like being corrected, and if there's a more effective way to persuade people to use correct grammar, why not use it?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:43 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
See the title "Interpersonal Edge"? This article is about how to correct people's grammar without being offensive, and while I don't think that grammar is "an eccentric preference", I agree that many people don't like being corrected, and if there's a more effective way to persuade people to use correct grammar, why not use it?

My sentiments exactly. I was a bit offended by the eccentricity statement. (I mean, I know that I'm eccentric in a lot of respects, but not regarding grammar.) I do, however, agree that better tools get better results.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:16 pm
Granted, being polite has its benefits, but I just don't believe that using correct grammar should be considered an "eccentric preference" in any case. stare  

The Lady Narcissa

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:57 pm
Um... I plead the fifth?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:12 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker

Yea.....
No one is going to listen if you yell at them.
Would you listen if your mom yelled at you to wear something you don't like?
Nope.
Look at their point of view.
I mean, they could be typing with one hand, doing multi-task.
Or they do that to annoy people.
I agree with the article.
Being offensive won't really help in making the world more literate.
I find that when I'm tired, I tend to be a bit more...
un-literate.  

[Joan De Arc]

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:04 pm
I am sort of split on this one. I believe that no matter the case, people should at least try to make an effort to speak English without sounding like a hill-Billy. I also believe that when correcting someone you should always be kind and not try to sound better than they are. But still, this woman is in the wrong. What she implies throughout her entire answer is that we should compromise our beliefs on grammar and the English language just to get people to do what we want. Sure, there may not be a power struggle, but there won't be anything learned by the person we're correcting. They will be complying merely to please the strange quirks of strange person they do not want to offend. A good argument on using grammar would be helpful to both parties. For the person correcting, it would strengthen their argument; for the person being corrected, they would learn a thing or two.

(I apologize profusely for typing up a novel here. When I start on something I feel strongly about, I just can't seem to stop.)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff