Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Marriage/ Weddings. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:41 pm
I recently attended one. Since I dont believe in a "One god great being" I kinda had some difficulty listening to the Minister read from the bible what he believes a marrage is. There is alot of Christian values tied into marrage, and dont get me wrong, I dont mind, it doesnt matter to me as long as I'm not the one getting married under those "oath's" I'd perfer to include the God and Goddess into my marrage, does anyone understand what im saying o.O  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:14 am
I agree completely. But you can customize your ceremony to be what you want it to be. It doesn't have to be a religious ceremony, and you can write your own vows and stuff.  

Starlock
Crew

Rose Mystica

Beloved Gawker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:30 am
I was a bridesmaid at Mom's wedding, and I just kind of stood around looking stupid. I held hands so she wouldn't get mad at me, but I didn't bow my head/join in repeating the prayer.

I dunno what to do at weddings. gonk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:38 am
I plan on a Pagan wedding, so I don't care about what others do. They can make it as religious as they like and more power to them for it. It's not my wedding and I am as respectful as I can be towards their wishes.

No one will yell or fuss at you for not praying to Jesus or YHWH during a wedding (well... mostly), so what does it matter if you have to listen to an hour or so of religious preaching-ish stuff? The point is that they are happy and you should be happy for them.

If I invite them to MY wedding, they had best be as respectful to my ceremony as I am to their's! Just because someone doesn't believe in the same things as me, doesn't mean they can disrespect it and vice versa 3nodding  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:41 am
Indeed. I don't know if I will have a full-blown Wiccan wedding (If I find someone) but I do know that it shall be outside, preferably in a forest, and during the reception, there shall be one big-a** spiral dance!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:16 pm
Helter Skelter Hippie
I was a bridesmaid at Mom's wedding, and I just kind of stood around looking stupid. I held hands so she wouldn't get mad at me, but I didn't bow my head/join in repeating the prayer.

I feel like that at alot of weddings and family parties (strong catholic family). I also feel like that when I am eating dinner at my friend Rachel's house. She says grace every night.

I've been planning my wedding ceremony for the past year. It is perfect for me. If anyone wants the details, let me know.  

[(~Callista~)]

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:12 pm
I tried to have my wedding be a completely civil affair- no religion at all, as I view marriage between two humans as a social contract, not a divine one. But I was in Alabama at the time, of course, and the chief justice of our local courthouse just so happened to also be a Baptist minister. How... fortunate, for me- he was so happy for us and wanted to do something nice, so he takes us into his office and performs some kind of impromptu Southern Baptist wedding ceremony. So here I am- Pagan in an Egyptian tee-shirt, blue jeans, and trench coat (but holding a bouquet, at least), formerly Satanic now atheist husband also in blue jeans and tee shirt, standing there trying to look gracious as this poor guy is doing his best to make our special day a special one for God, too. ^_^' And now here I am three years later, still trying to divorce the guy. If only marital contracts were as simple as they were in ancient Egyptian times- our separation would have been recognized as soon as we stopped living together. >_<

So yeah, I'm a bit cynical about marriages- but perhaps for different reasons than the rest of us.^_^'  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:29 pm
I think this would be an appropriate time to quote Shakespeare

Lord, what fool these mortals be!

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:47 pm
I would like a Wiccan wedding ceremony.

But yeah, someone needs to tell the Christians that they're not the only religion around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:07 pm
Quadadiddle

But yeah, someone needs to tell the Christians that they're not the only religion around.
People have. Their reaction is "but all the others are wrong."  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Quadadiddle

People have. Their reaction is "but all the others are wrong."
OMG, It seems like all Christians are out to get me somtimes o.o (except my friends) but my family would loose it if I had a Wiccan wedding or something o.O; Besides, what/who would replace the Minister guy at a Wiccan wed anyway?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 pm
Atma311
I plan on a Pagan wedding, so I don't care about what others do. They can make it as religious as they like and more power to them for it. It's not my wedding and I am as respectful as I can be towards their wishes.

No one will yell or fuss at you for not praying to Jesus or YHWH during a wedding (well... mostly), so what does it matter if you have to listen to an hour or so of religious preaching-ish stuff? The point is that they are happy and you should be happy for them.

If I invite them to MY wedding, they had best be as respectful to my ceremony as I am to their's! Just because someone doesn't believe in the same things as me, doesn't mean they can disrespect it and vice versa 3nodding
Nice, that really makes alot of sense. Thanks ^^;  

QueenCrystal

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:41 pm
[(~Callista~)]
Helter Skelter Hippie

I feel like that at alot of weddings and family parties (strong catholic family). I also feel like that when I am eating dinner at my friend Rachel's house. She says grace every night.

I've been planning my wedding ceremony for the past year. It is perfect for me. If anyone wants the details, let me know.
o.o I know how the both of you feel, I paniced XD...I want details 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 pm
[(~Callista~)]
Helter Skelter Hippie

sweatdrop I know how the both of you feel. When I was at my aunt's wedding, I paniced XD.

Btw, I want details :3

QueenCrystal

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:17 pm
WebenBanu
I tried to have my wedding be a completely civil affair- no religion at all, as I view marriage between two humans as a social contract, not a divine one. But I was in Alabama at the time, of course, and the chief justice of our local courthouse just so happened to also be a Baptist minister. How... fortunate, for me- he was so happy for us and wanted to do something nice, so he takes us into his office and performs some kind of impromptu Southern Baptist wedding ceremony. So here I am- Pagan in an Egyptian tee-shirt, blue jeans, and trench coat (but holding a bouquet, at least), formerly Satanic now atheist husband also in blue jeans and tee shirt, standing there trying to look gracious as this poor guy is doing his best to make our special day a special one for God, too. ^_^' And now here I am three years later, still trying to divorce the guy. If only marital contracts were as simple as they were in ancient Egyptian times- our separation would have been recognized as soon as we stopped living together. >_<

So yeah, I'm a bit cynical about marriages- but perhaps for different reasons than the rest of us.^_^'
Quite a story that is o.o How long did it last?  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff