Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Help me Break My Addiction!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm
I have an addiction to the text phrase "lol" and I realy want to get rid of the habit. Even when I try to stop I always either forget or accidentaly uncolciously put it in my sentences.

How are I ever going to be cured of it!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:26 pm
"LOL" is the new "hahaha". I don't see the point in getting rid of it. I mean, it's certainly not appropriate for a paper that is meant to be serious, or for business documents. But for day to day friendly messages, as long as the people you write to know that it means "laughs out loud", I don't see any reason to completely get rid of it. I'm certainly in favour of being aware of when you use it and judge its appropriateness, however.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

[Joan De Arc]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:15 pm
As long as you don't say "lol" in reality, it's fine.
"Lol", and "Ttyl" are ok, especially when a forum is TEEMING with people..
And when using a cellphone to text message, and the company charges you a cent per word.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:12 pm
You can always type out the who meaning of it. 3nodding -laugh out loud-  

Zombielight

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 pm
If it really bothers you, how do you feel about substituting a smiley instead? (I think I'm a pretty grammar-conscious person, but I am *all about* the smilies.)

I agree with others here, though, in that phrases like "lol" have an appropriate place...and as long as you use them in chats and emails and the like, it's really not a big deal! cool  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 pm
"LOL" in and of itself isn't bad, but it sure gets tiring when you hear someone say it a lot. If you find yourself falling back on it too often, try to think about how you specifically feel in reaction to what they said, and see if you can tailor a more specific response. Or maybe even try to come up with a response that has content. *grins*

Friend: Man, I'm so dumb, I forgot [something really obvious]!
Response: LOL oops

or

Response: *wince* Ooh, that sucks!

or even

Response: Hey, this one time, I [something even dumber]. So don't feel too bad, buddy!  

-l- Eli -l-

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:35 pm
thanks. it's just something that pops up in every dentence i type. lol!

see? biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 am
As long as you don't start putting it on research papers, you'll be fine. But if you really want to get rid of the habit, slap yourself across the face every time you do it. It worked for me... every time I said "like" in an improper context, I would slap myself... it was an interesting conversation piece, I'll give you that xd  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Once Was

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:43 am
Like the others said, I don't see a problem with Lol, when it's used in appropriate places. I use Lol a lot myself and have to catch myself because I over use it at times. When I notice that I put in a smiley over some sort. =P I normally type that when I notice I'm using lol too much. And I do use ttyl and brb. Every now and then I use omg, especially in text messages since you have limited characters you can put into one text.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 pm
No matter what, "lol" is going to stay in most people's posts. Until something else comes up, then it is here.  

Robthebob

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:20 pm
I say weird things such as "that is so sneaf!" instead of lol but sneaf is an inside joke with me and a friend so no one else understands it! I also just make up words and use them! All though that may not be the best idea!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 pm
How about this, every time you use lol, or any other txt-tlk phrases your addicted you put a quarter in the bad word jar. And when its full you have to toss it out infront of the homeless.  

donutguy

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:05 am
Starlight_Angel_18
Thanks. It's just something that pops up in every sentence I type. Lol!

See? biggrin

Capital letters please!
D:<  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:50 am
donutguy
How about this, every time you use lol, or any other txt-tlk phrases your addicted you put a quarter in the bad word jar. And when its full you have to toss it out infront of the homeless.

It's almost the same idea I have, except I'd call it "Cursing for Charity." Funny idea, eh?

I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you don't overdo it.  

Natsuri

Aithera

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:09 pm
I never use 'lol', I use the 'xD' smiley if I find something amusing. Because really, who actually does laugh out loud when they type that?

I only use 'brb', 'ttyl' and 'gtg' if I'm in a hurry. Like if my parents are yelling at me, or the phone is ringing, and I really don't have the time to type out something coherent. That's about it.

I use 'OMG' a lot, though.

*drowns in guilt*

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas