Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What the hell? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:48 am
Why is it that some of the members of this forum take so much time reading literature and writing their sentences out carefully, yet they can't:
1) read a subforum title
2) read another topic to keep them from reposting old material
3) can't spell grammar, dispite being part of the Gain Grammar Guild, with 'Grammar' at the top of the screen in neat blue writing before they've even posted?

Seriously people, if you can take the time to write a sentence, you can take the time to read one. Yes, I expect this to be locked at some point, due to my hostile nature.

Or, to sum it up:
SUBFORUM
TOPIC MATERIAL
GRAMMAR

This only applies to some. I'm not saying everyone here does it, all the time.

Rant over.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 am
I agree but then again if you are complaining about bad spelling you could at least check your spelling. Hmmm you misspelled sentence, you said setance.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Tromper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 am
People who think they are right usualy don't look at things that are right infront of them...and everyone makes mistakes...my ENGLISH teacher m misspelled grammar once... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:29 pm
If I do mistype, I am either:

1.) In a rush to get to class (I access the Internet through a wireless router, and sometimes run to class and check e-mail at the same time)
2.) Typing too rapidly (most common reason, as I am a very fast typer)
3.) Not controlling my left hand, which was affected by an accident years ago, and thus, everything looks like this: "this is swhen I'm tnot controlloing my hands." (This is when I'm not controlling my hands.)

On the other hand, people do need to check for mistakes before posting, but you can't find every mistake, you know. wink  

Patron with a Mission

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm
darkrose_eve
I agree but then again if you are complaining about bad spelling you could at least check your spelling. Hmmm you misspelled sentence, you said setance.

The irony of that is that you typoed.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 pm
I agree. The one word members of this guild definitely ought to be able to spell correctly is "grammar".  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:00 pm
Meh, I know what you're saying.

Yes, people could be more careful.

End of story. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:07 pm
Well, some stuff can happen. Like my hand being really, really stiff..
Ow....  

[Joan De Arc]

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:13 am
I agree that it's annoying when people spell "grammar" as "grammer" when there's a banner at the top of the page with "grammar" on it. (I hate it when people do that in an application. It looks as if they don't know the name of the guild that they're applying to.)

For those of you pointing out each others' spelling mistakes: It looks like that we have Skitt's law (I didn't put the apostrophe in there, it's the URL tags) in action here.

(It is also known by other names because other people have independently came up with it in different wording, but basically, it states that when pointing someone else's spelling or grammar mistakes, one always makes spelling or grammar mistakes.)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
I agree that it's annoying when people spell "grammar" as "grammer" when there's a banner at the top of the page with "grammar" on it. (I hate it when people do that in an application. It looks as if they don't know the name of the guild that they're applying to.)

For those of you pointing out each others' spelling mistakes: It looks like that we have Skitt's law (I didn't put the apostrophe in there, it's the URL tags) in action here.

(It is also known by other names because other people have independently came up with it in different wording, but basically, it states that when pointing someone else's spelling or grammar mistakes, one always makes spelling or grammar mistakes.)

Thankyou for taking this in a good-mannered way, since not all moderators have been quite as reasonable to me (I have been suspended from UAQ for a month for sharig my views), and I'm grateful.

Anyway, as for the Skitt's law theory, I wasn't directing any form of offense towards darkrose_eve (although her message did come across none too nice), I'm just the kind of cold, sarcastic person who exploits irony.  

MadnessFreak

iMUFFIN HOAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:27 am
dameonmac5918
If I do mistype, I am either:

1.) In a rush to get to class (I access the Internet through a wireless router, and sometimes run to class and check e-mail at the same time)
2.) Typing too rapidly (most common reason, as I am a very fast typer)
3.) Not controlling my left hand, which was affected by an accident years ago, and thus, everything looks like this: "this is swhen I'm tnot controlloing my hands." (This is when I'm not controlling my hands.)

On the other hand, people do need to check for mistakes before posting, but you can't find every mistake, you know. wink

I think that is why there is a "preview" button. I hardly ever post anything without previewing it first! Besides, sometimes, you get gold when you preview!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am
MadnessFreak
darkrose_eve

redface Yes...I actually went back and edited it but my computer was acting up...  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:06 pm
darkrose_eve
MadnessFreak
darkrose_eve

redface Yes...I actually went back and edited it but my computer was acting up...

Okay. I know it wasn't anv actual mistake, and I know how you feel, especially when using my Gran's computer, which needs a sledgehammer to press the keys down with.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 pm
The word Grammar as grammer is actually correct in a phonetical sense, but just looking at the word "grammer" as you type it just makes you feel like an idiot....  

CristoVII

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:57 pm
Zweite
The word Grammar as grammer is actually correct in a phonetical sense, but just looking at the word "grammer" as you type it just makes you feel like an idiot....

I agree. It's like when you miss a letter in a double letter word like 'spelled' by accident: 'speled' makes you seem like a goddamn moron.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff