Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
For all the knitters out there - circular needles! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Circular Needle Set?
  KnitPicks Options
  Denise
View Results

MaddLlama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 pm
For those of you (us) who knit, do you use interchangeable circular sets? Which do you prefer, the KnitPicks set, or the Denise set?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:48 am
The knit picks ones are really nice. I don't own a set myself, but I have had the chance to use other knitter's sets. Most of the other knitters I know like them alot; though they say that every once in a while they have a small flaw in certain sizes of the needles and the needles come detached from the cable. If this happens you have to call knit picks and they will send you a replacement for free. This doesn't seem to happen often; but it's something to be aware of.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:55 am
I don't own a set of either kind, but I've heard great things about them both. I think it'd be a great investment to get either line of interchangable needles. :3  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am
I've only used KnitPicks.  

Rawr 112

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:03 pm
I definately prefer knit picks, but that's probably because I'm biased towards the metal needles. I just knit so much faster on them because the stitches just slide right off the needles. I guess if you're working with a slippery yarn that could potentially be a problem! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm
My friend has a set of interchangeables. I haven't used them though. I'm not sure what set they are, I just know that they aren't the KnitPicks, and that she cant' seem to find any extra cables. She does have a problem with running out of cables, since we both have problems with doing multiple projects at once(don't we all?).
But she does love the Addi Turbo needles, and since I've used hers, I'd say I have to agree. They aren't interchangeable, but they're worth the extra cost.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:00 pm
I'm looking into getting a Denise set, along with some extra long cables, this weekend. I'm determined to master Moebius knitting, and that's the interchangeable set the author uses. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:01 pm
I unfortunately haven't given them a go yet. Maybe sometime soon.  

VP Club Freakin Justice

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:19 pm
I've heard nothing but good things about the KnitPicks set. I own the Boyd Needlemaster set, but I'm not too fond of it. It comes unscrewed really easily.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:38 pm
I just recently bought the denise set (Ok, I admit it, I am just deathly attracted to pink..), and so far I like it. It took me a bit to figure out how the cables and the needles go together, but they're very secure.

My one complaint though, is that if you buy extra cables or needles, there's no place to store them. I am actually considering buying the KnitPicks organizer, and those little needle size tags are quite spiffy too. =D  

MaddLlama

MaddLlama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 pm
AriRashkae
I'm looking into getting a Denise set, along with some extra long cables, this weekend. I'm determined to master Moebius knitting, and that's the interchangeable set the author uses. whee

I actually bought the set to try the magic loop technique. DPN's and I do not get along at all. stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:44 pm
I don't actually own any of my own circular needles yet, but the KnitPicks set looks like the better deal to me because you can buy stuff as you need it after the initial purchase. If I ever need a set of my own, I plan to buy the KnitPicks set.
I'm borrowing my mother's set of Boye circulars that are probably as old as I am. I haven't had the chance to use them yet, but she says they come unscrewed pretty easily.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:06 am
My onlt complaint about the Denise is that you can't get tips smaller than size 5.

However, my grandmother has a LARGE stash of knitting stuff (a fair portion of her rather large attic), and she is already passing me her needles. Since I am not masochistic enough to need 5' size 1s, it's all good. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 am
I got the Denise set as a gift, and I use it all the time. I don't like metal needles, so. I prefer to use wood when I can, but having a set means I've almost always got what I need on hand.  

epyk

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:37 pm
MaddLlama
I just recently bought the denise set (Ok, I admit it, I am just deathly attracted to pink..), and so far I like it. It took me a bit to figure out how the cables and the needles go together, but they're very secure.

My one complaint though, is that if you buy extra cables or needles, there's no place to store them. I am actually considering buying the KnitPicks organizer, and those little needle size tags are quite spiffy too. =D

CatBordhi.com has a few patterns for bags designed specifically for the Denise kits. After all, they made their extra longs just for her. whee  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff