Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The things everyone, everywhere should know. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:41 am
It's quite amazing that here, in a grammar guild, there are some very stupid mistakes. This is a small guide to help some people out.

Capital letters:
Capital letters come after any of these punctuation marks: '!', '?', and '.'. If any of these are placed anywhere, if you start a new sentence next to them it must begin with a capital letter. Always.
--Also, proper nouns require capital letters. These, to put it extremely simply, are names. So it includes human names, pet names (NOT hamster,
rabbit, etc, but Snuffles, Goldie, the like), country/continent names, and natural formation names (not stream, cliff, river, etc, but Niagara Falls and the like), as well as many more.

Full stops: These mark when a sentence ends. Simple. Other sentence enders include '!', '?', and '~'.
About the 'swirly thing': This is used when you have absolutely nothing more to say. It ends your entire peice, so once you use in on the end of a sentence you can't start another one. Magazine authors use a square instead, but it serves the same purpose.

Commas
: I see these used too liberally. All they do is dictate where to pause slightly while reading. If you're having trouble with comma placement, read your sentance through aloud under your breath to determine where you should put them.

User-submitted guides:

There: indicates place, i.e. "over there."
Their: indicates possession, i.e. "their house."
They're: contraction of "they" and "are."

Your: indicates possession, i.e. "your avatar."
You're: contraction of "you" and "are."

to : suggesting movement or place (at its base level)
two : representing two of a noun
too : To an excessive degree.

It's: Used as a contraction for "it is." DOES NOT indicate possession.
Its: The possessive form, marking an object belonging to "it."

Comma splicing.
Two complete sentences cannot be stuck together with just a comma. They need a word like "and," "but," "or", or a semi-colon.

Semicolons.
They are used for sentences that are stand-alone, but have the same topic. For example:

"The dog ran; he was barking a lot."

Wont vs. Won't
Wont: accustomed; used: She was wont to drum her fingers when anxious.
Won't: contraction of the phrase "will not": He won't come out of his room."

Cant vs. Can't
Cant: insincere, especially conventional expressions of enthusiasm for high ideals, goodness, or piety
((If someone can think of a sentence for this, I'd appreciate. I'm kind of braindead at the moment.))
Can't: contraction of the phrase/word "can not/cannot": I can't go to the party tomorrow!

Women is the plural of woman.

Super Perfundo
I would like to interject some things in opposition to a couple of rules on here:

1) "All they do is dictate where to pause slightly while reading." This was regarding comma usage in the first post. This is not true. I can name many instances where commas are used for something other than a pause.

Lists:
"Bill went to the store, school, and a museum today."
Introductory clauses/phrases/words:
"Because I slept in, I was late for school."
"Having found the girl, he hugged her."
"Well, I've got to go now."
Randomly inserted clauses/phrases:
"The girl, only 8, was a child prodigy."
Geography/Dates/Titles:
"I live in Dallas, Texas."
"I was born November 14, 1989."
"Ross Gellar, MD, is an expert in dinosaurs."
Quotations:
"I can't do it," John replied.
"I can't do it," John said, "because I don't know how."
To prevent confusion:
"To Emily, Dickens was a great poet."

Granted, you do pause for some of these, but it's important to note that some of them are certainly not where you would pause and even if you do pause, it's still important to clarify the necessity for a pause.

--------

2) This isn't necessarily an objection, but I think it's important to point out in the first post that "its", used for possession, is not capitalized. People often capitalize it, but that's incorrect.

Ex: "The house was green, but its paint is peeling."

--------

3) I would also like to point out that, contrary to what we were taught in grammar school, it is now acceptable to use "and" and "but" to begin a sentence. Incomplete sentences are now commonly accepted as well. (It's modern, guys!)

--------

4) An example sentence for "cant": The cant woman openly exalted the President, expressing her enthusiasm for his war ideas and praising his intelligence, but everyone knew she was a liberal.

---------

5) I disagree with whomever said that punctuation is always placed inside quotation marks. I specifically remember singing a song about this in third grade and I know the book "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" disagrees. However, since it's not going in the original post, I guess it doesn't matter. I saw it while I was skimming through the topic, though, and my grammar radar started buzzing like mad so I felt I should mention it.

---------

6) Something that's always bothered me is the incorrect use of "who" when it should be "whom". "Who" is a subject and "whom" is an object.
Ex: Who is going to the dance?
Whom are you taking to the dance?

In addition to this rule, it's also important to note that "to" is never used to end a sentence. "To" is a preposition that is used before a noun to clarify it.
Ex: Whom are you speaking to?(or, God forbid, Who are you speaking to?)
Should be: To whom are you speaking?

That's all I have for now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:06 am
First post! Yay! :p

Yes, I have noticed some of the things you have mentioned omitted. I wonder if there's anything else I could add to this... Let me think. sweatdrop

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:08 am
Of course. I'm gonna add more soon. If you want we could do this as a collab.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:21 am
I've got one:

There: indicates place, i.e. "over there."
Their: indicates possession, i.e. "their house."
They're: contraction of "they" and "are."

Your: indicates possession, i.e. "your avatar."
You're: contraction of "you" and "are."

Get it right, please. domokun

Oh, and by the way, all punctuation goes inside the quotation marks! That has always bothered me. I hope I don't sound too nit-picky. sweatdrop

Miko_Sohma

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:40 am
Oops. I'll fix that later.
anyway, I added your contribution.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:50 am
to : suggesting movement or place (at its base level)
two : representing two of a noun
too : To an excessive degree

Also: Unless it's the end of a sentence, punctuation goes outside parantheses/brackets!  

CristoVII

applecyder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:24 am
It ends your entire peice, so once you use in on the end of a sentance you can't start another one.

piece*
sentence*

If you need more common grammar mistakes and their proper usages check out the little box gif at my sig. I 'borrowed' it from a fellow Gaian ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:45 am
Oh, I've got one!

It's: Used as a contraction for "it is." DOES NOT indicate possession.
Its: The possessive form, marking an object belonging to "it."

Also, comma splicing.
Two complete sentences cannot be stuck together with just a comma. They need a word like "and," "but," "or", or a semi-colon.

This is a really good idea for a thread!  

ChibiStarlet

Dea Mariella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:11 pm
Then I have a question... someone made a comment about how all punctuation goes inside the quotation marks... but, what if you have a sentence like this:

In the words of so-and-so, "The bladity blah blah".

That's the way that I always put it, for it seems to me that if the quote is just a part of the sentence, the quote should be a contained entity, with the sentence surrounding it. Hence, why I put periods after quotes.

Let me know if I'm incorrect here.

Dea-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:02 pm
Dea Mariella
Then I have a question... someone made a comment about how all punctuation goes inside the quotation marks... but, what if you have a sentence like this:

That's the way that I always put it, for it seems to me that if the quote is just a part of the sentence, the quote should be a contained entity, with the sentence surrounding it. Hence, why I put periods after quotes.

Dea-chan

I've always put them inside the quotation. According to MLA style, (and I quote), "...comma and periods that directly follow quotations go inside the closing quotation marks.... All other punctuation marks--such as semicolons, colons, question marks, and exclamation points--go outside of a closing quotation mark, except when they are part of the quoted material."

Yeah, I'm a dork. I keep the MLA guide on my desk and handy for occasions such as this. sweatdrop But I hope this explanation helps!!  

ChibiStarlet

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 pm
Okay, I've aded some more stuff, but I need more than contraction guides. As for the quotation marks and brackets thing, I don't care. Move on.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:49 pm
How about semi-colons?

They are used for sentences that are stand-alone, but have the same topic. For example:

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.  

Patron with a Mission

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:03 pm
dameonmac5918
How about semi-colons?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I believe that's right. Adding.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:18 pm
ChibiStarlet
Dea Mariella

Dea-chan

I've always put them inside the quotation. According to MLA style, (and I quote), "...comma and periods that directly follow quotations go inside the closing quotation marks.... All other punctuation marks--such as semicolons, colons, question marks, and exclamation points--go outside of a closing quotation mark, except when they are part of the quoted material."

Yeah, I'm a dork. I keep the MLA guide on my desk and handy for occasions such as this. sweatdrop But I hope this explanation helps!!

The *official* way of punctuating a quotation is as stated above, but I disagree with it. It was put in place for typographical reasons; supposedly, it looks better. However, it's illogical. My rule for mixing quotation marks and punctuation is : if the punctuation is in the original text, then put it inside when you quote it, otherwise put it outside the quotation marks.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:35 pm
than vs then :
than : used for comparison. e.g. I have more than you do. Mine is bigger than yours.
then : (a) used for a sequence of events, or (b) for the result of some condition.
(a) This happened, then that happened.
(b) If my mom did this, then I would do that.

fewer vs less :
fewer : for countable things, e.g. fewer marbles, fewer boys
less : for non-countable things, e.g. less water, less salt
You'll make fewer cookies if you have less cookie dough.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff