Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

<3
  <3
View Results

Little-Missy-Moo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:12 am
I was listening to the news... Then checked on the internet... And found out that approxamtely, Adelaide has 40 days of water left. o.o

Also, a news article is here

I think we're probably gonna manage to keep up the water supply for a while, but what will you guys do if we don't? Move to another city? What're your plans? xD

I'm gonna try to convince my parents to move to Melbourne. ;3 Or Perth. Perth's grass is so damn green. o.o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:29 pm
I'm vaguely sure it wont get that bad. I mean seriously the central coast is facing similar circumstances and the governement is already putting in plans for alternate water supplies. Ya may just have to deal with the fact that yer water's gonna be recycled? Or put in lots of tanks and pray for rain!  

Falethial

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:37 pm
Lee-Rae, we are in the only council that i know of that doesnt have restrictions (it is only Wyong and Gosford, not Lake Mac)

i was kinda ammused with reading that story... well the beginning of it. Adelaide is at the end, or close to the end, of the River Murry. all these years, water has been piped from Morgan to supply Whyalla, Pt Augusta and Port HolePirie, yet Adelaide has had to rely on dams... go figure rolleyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:17 am
Karicki Satni Mitsu
I'm gonna try to convince my parents to move to Melbourne. ;3 Or Perth. Perth's grass is so damn green. o.o

Naw Melbourne's not much better, apparently we only have about 600 days of water left.

Sure, it's a lot better than 40, but without some kind of consistent and drastic change in the weather to come shortly, it wont last long beyond that.

Just go to Darwin. 3nodding  

WellzY
Crew

K i m m e h

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:54 am
Or Tasmania. They didn't have water restrictions, or at least I didn't think they did, so I took reeeaaallly long showers. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:13 am
lol brisbanes in teh same baot as adelaide... i think were in teh 30's... or late 20's... i forget i saw something at the busstop on teh way to the bottleo...  

scruffy012

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:41 am
Lynx Raven Raide
Lee-Rae, we are in the only council that i know of that doesnt have restrictions (it is only Wyong and Gosford, not Lake Mac)

i was kinda ammused with reading that story... well the beginning of it. Adelaide is at the end, or close to the end, of the River Murry. all these years, water has been piped from Morgan to supply Whyalla, Pt Augusta and Port HolePirie, yet Adelaide has had to rely on dams... go figure rolleyes
ninja *Mutters ''it is queensland's fault* ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 am
everywhere is stuffed, why arnt we usingh the oceans water the levels are rising neway cuz of the ice meltin  

Taine

scruffy012

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 am
Taine
everywhere is stuffed, why arnt we usingh the oceans water the levels are rising neway cuz of the ice meltin

becasue we dont ahve anywhere to place the salt...

to put it simpily the desalinity of seawater isn't cost effective and is evironmentally distastorous, as itll change the salinity of everywhere you put it essentially killing everything...

so yeah in little amounts its good but once you ahve to supply an entire district then the local water areas (ie the oceans where the waters being pulled form) will suffer...

thats why water treatment is much much better and cost effective  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:57 pm
bohemian_wild_child
Lynx Raven Raide

ninja *Mutters ''it is queensland's fault* ninja
how is it their fault? adelaide is nowhere near qld  

Lynx Raven Raide

Falethial

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 am
I swear...if I come home with wet socks once more this week I'm gonna be grumpy...The central coast is level 4...and the drain out the front of my work is flooding. GO FIGURE!

And darlin' lynx. My water restrictions are permanent...I only have two tanks...once they're gone, things get expensive!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:15 am
Lynx Raven Raide
Ever heard of the Murry/Darling? The Darling River is the start of the Murry River. It starts in queensland and travels through NSW, along the NSW/ Victoria border before coming out in SA.

Now queensland have damed the Darling River in several areas in queensland so that the farmers living off the river and using it for irrigation have plenty of water. Certain dams are used for town water. Coming into NSW, there are some weirs to slow the flow of the river and in some cases towns on the river use the water for town water. There are lots of farms along the Murry River and they are also using the river for irrigation. It is the same story along the borders and probably in SA but I'm not sure about what happens to the Murry that far south.

If you have been following the news or at least read rural news papers, you would know that the PM wants to get federal control of the Murry/Darling River because the states aren't controling it well. The Murry/Darling is heading in the same direction as the Colorado in America. They have it damed and the river itself is dying because they weren't releasing any water to help the river. They started environmental floods of the river and it is slowly coming back to life.

Because queensland has the Darling damed in several spots, they aren't willing to let water flow down the river to benefit those who rely on the river further down in other states. In a sense, due to the queensland government's water greed, the river and the other states are suffering.

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:24 am
bohemian_wild_child
Lynx Raven Raide
Ever heard of the Murry/Darling? The Darling River is the start of the Murry River. It starts in queensland and travels through NSW, along the NSW/ Victoria border before coming out in SA.

Now queensland have damed the Darling River in several areas in queensland so that the farmers living off the river and using it for irrigation have plenty of water. Certain dams are used for town water. Coming into NSW, there are some weirs to slow the flow of the river and in some cases towns on the river use the water for town water. There are lots of farms along the Murry River and they are also using the river for irrigation. It is the same story along the borders and probably in SA but I'm not sure about what happens to the Murry that far south.

If you have been following the news or at least read rural news papers, you would know that the PM wants to get federal control of the Murry/Darling River because the states aren't controling it well. The Murry/Darling is heading in the same direction as the Colorado in America. They have it damed and the river itself is dying because they weren't releasing any water to help the river. They started environmental floods of the river and it is slowly coming back to life.

Because queensland has the Darling damed in several spots, they aren't willing to let water flow down the river to benefit those who rely on the river further down in other states. In a sense, due to the queensland government's water greed, the river and the other states are suffering.
you know what the funniest thing about all this? everyone up and down the Murry is crying poor about this. i can remeber driving through Victoria a few years back, and there were irrigation channels everywhere, so it isnt just Queensland and NSW. Also, John Howard is the last person I would trust with the Murry.

also, as a side, i dont get what it has to do with my initial quote. there has been a pipeline from Morgan to Whyalla for years, and only now they are concidering doing the same for Adelaide?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:25 am
Falethial
I swear...if I come home with wet socks once more this week I'm gonna be grumpy...The central coast is level 4...and the drain out the front of my work is flooding. GO FIGURE!

And darlin' lynx. My water restrictions are permanent...I only have two tanks...once they're gone, things get expensive!
its the damn positioning of the dams (soz Lee-Rae, just had to say that wink ) and yeah, i know you are on permanent restrictions, i was more refering to those on mains, although your tanks would be pretty full now, wouldnt they  

Lynx Raven Raide

Falethial

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:06 pm
Overflowing actually. And my personal bog-hole is making my driveway nearly impassable. Thank goodness for 4x4s!  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff