Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sewing Machine or No Sewing Machine, that is the question. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sewing machine? or hand?
  Sewing machine
  Hand
  Both
View Results

chunkymonkey3991

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:51 am
Ok, so I'm thinking about making my own purse (messenger bag type thing.) My mom has a sewing machine but I have no idea how to use it. I'm scared I'll screw the whole thing up if I use a sewing machine. But I'm scared it'll look completely crappy if I handsew the whole thing. Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 am
Ask your mom to show you how to use it. I learned how to use a sewing machine in the 6th grade (home ec class). Now if I sat down to try and use it I dont think I could but its easier than you would think. 3nodding It would also be much faster if you used the machine. Also I think sewing has becom a dying art. People dont really know how to sew things anymore, heck i dont know how to sew things. anyway......my vote is to use the sewing machine biggrin  

Kumiko21

rheane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:27 am
Yeah I would ask for help on the sewing machine, because it'll make the bag more durable and more finnished looking. Plus its faster. xd
But it would be cool to do a few hand-sewn details on it. Ya know just for flare. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:39 am
I would suggest using the sewing machine if you want your bag to last very long. They aren't that hard to use, and it will go much faster, your stitchs will be even, and less likely to fall apart.

I loke to go back through and make some things look hand stitched after sewing it, but most things get machine sewed first, or hand sewn, then attatched to a bigger piece of fabric which gets machine sewn.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:33 pm
I'd say tack it together with long running stitches (and pins, of course), but do the majority on the machine. Not only will it go faster, but it will be stronger.

Don't be intimidated. The nice thing about the pedal is it's like a gas pedal in a car. Light pressure = slow, heavy pressure = fast. It's easy to control the speed.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:39 pm
Definately learn to use the sewing machine. It is nice to add hand touches to things, but you will probably be less likely to get burnt out on the project. If it is a simple pattern, then you may find it a nice beginning project. Keep mostly to straight edges - for now. wink  

julyrose

chunkymonkey3991

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 pm
Ok, I believe that I will go with getting my mom to teach me the sewing machine ways. Also, piping. Does wal-mart sell it? And about how much does it run? And any piping tutorials.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:19 am
Good luck on it; I'm also with the club that advises to sit down and take some time to learn the sewing maching. It's really not that hard and once you know it it will be a lifelong skill that you will find lots of uses for smile

Wal Mart should sell premade piping. If not Jo Anns or another chain fabric store certainly should.

I believe there are some bag tutorials in the "tutorials" section of this guild.

Best of luck!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

chezara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:30 am
Hand sewing is the only option with me because my sewing machine is the fabric eating DEVIL! However, I just bought some more fabric and I don't have the time to hand sew anymore...so I am going to use a machine again. Only this time, I am going to use an ANCIENT machine of sewing, like one of the first line of machines that ever came out. My mother in law uses it all the time verses her newer one because she says it works perfectly, is easier to use, and never has had any problems (unlike her new one that can't thread a bobbin). So, once I get to use that old one, I will tell you how it is. I would advise you try to use an older one (unless you can get your hands on a really nice newer one, the ones that are around $400 bob easily and can do soooo much, but alas, the ones $200 or less that I've heard people use, have been a pain).  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:53 am
chezara
Hand sewing is the only option with me because my sewing machine is the fabric eating DEVIL! However, I just bought some more fabric and I don't have the time to hand sew anymore...so I am going to use a machine again. Only this time, I am going to use an ANCIENT machine of sewing, like one of the first line of machines that ever came out. My mother in law uses it all the time verses her newer one because she says it works perfectly, is easier to use, and never has had any problems (unlike her new one that can't thread a bobbin). So, once I get to use that old one, I will tell you how it is. I would advise you try to use an older one (unless you can get your hands on a really nice newer one, the ones that are around $400 bob easily and can do soooo much, but alas, the ones $200 or less that I've heard people use, have been a pain).

By ANCIENT do you mean that it has a foot pedal that you tip back and forth to make it run and there is no electricity? I've always wanted to use one of those. 3nodding

And on topic, sewing machines are wonderful. Learn to use one and your life will be so much more creative! I made a messenger bag on a sewing machine, but I added hand beading and ribbon embroidery details and I love it.
So the machine for durability and hand sewing for extra bits.  

Umberella

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:58 pm
TheBrokenButterfly
Ok, so I'm thinking about making my own purse (messenger bag type thing.) My mom has a sewing machine but I have no idea how to use it. I'm scared I'll screw the whole thing up if I use a sewing machine. But I'm scared it'll look completely crappy if I handsew the whole thing. Any suggestions?

i used to know how to duse that but i think i rather go with hand even though i dont really remeber the typ eof stitch that is the best, i still do it by hand and its a bit slower though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:30 am
I prefer to sew by hand, but of course it it way slower.

A bag is a good beginner project on a sewing machine.  

Lore Lux

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:15 am
If you're just starting out on a sewing machine, one thing you can do for practice is to sew along the lines of a piece of notebook paper (without thread) to just get used to how control the machine.

As for fabric eating devil machines- I have a few suggestions for exorcisms. First, make sure the tension is the correct. This solves so many problems. Another is to follow the machine cleaning and oiling instructions in the manuel. A machine that's gummed up with lint and sticky parts is a very unhappy machine. Finally- the sewing machine repair shop is your friend, even just for a tune up.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:39 am
Umberella
chezara

By ANCIENT do you mean that it has a foot pedal that you tip back and forth to make it run and there is no electricity? I've always wanted to use one of those. 3nodding

And on topic, sewing machines are wonderful. Learn to use one and your life will be so much more creative! I made a messenger bag on a sewing machine, but I added hand beading and ribbon embroidery details and I love it.
So the machine for durability and hand sewing for extra bits.

I would LOVE to have an old, treadle style sewing machine. I think it would be cool to have something that could be used regardless of whether you have electricity or not, and that is more reliable than MY hand sewing. blaugh Of course, that would require some place to put it. I keep looking in the want ads periodically, though.  

julyrose

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:31 am
We have at least 1 treadle machine. Maybe 2 (we have 2 treadle tables, but only one is holding a machine), but the one that's out is for leather, so it's not the best choice for anything lighter than denim. blaugh

My grandmother won a machine at the 4-H fair when she was young, but I think it's electric. We have been told in no uncertain terms that if the house catches fire, we are to save the machine before we save her, or she will kill us. xd  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff