What is your sexual orientation?
  Heterosexual
  Bisexual
  Pansexual
  Homosexual
View Results

Malakoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:24 pm
Typically, Gothic imagery romanticizes heterosexual love and relationships, forgetting about homosexuality in general. Homosexuals are rarely represented in Gothic literature, music, or art.
Anne Rice has a few characters that are vaguely identified as gay and Poppy Z. Brite has written some rather explicitly homo-erotic material about her vampires but I believe these are the exceptions to the rule.

EDIT: Are there other examples of homosexuality in Goth literature, art, or music?
Do you feel that Gothic culture is more expressive or repressive of homosexuality?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:34 pm
Well,I'm bisexual. But,anyway, I do agree that boyfriend-girlfriend, typical heterosexual relationships are more prevalent in Goth media of any kind. Jemiah Jefferson,who wrote the vampire novels Voice of the Blood and Wounds, is the only writer I came across who featured same sex relationships and eroticism in her work.  

MediaclCunt

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:35 pm
I think it's more likely that people accept homosexuality who identify themselves as goths, but I don't think it's really talked about all that much. Not in a "oh that's taboo to talk about" sort of way, just more of a casual indifference to sexual orientation. It just doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:41 pm
lurichan
I think it's more likely that people accept homosexuality who identify themselves as goths, but I don't think it's really talked about all that much. Not in a "oh that's taboo to talk about" sort of way, just more of a casual indifference to sexual orientation. It just doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal.

It is true that orientation, and sexuality in general, is somewhat ignored in Goth culture. More emphasis is placed on the spiritual and emotional levels of relationships than the sexual.  

Malakoi

blackfoxi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 pm
well, i'd hate to point this out, but usually in society, the two lifestyles are often stuck together in stereotypes, because very few people outside of those lifestyles understand both.
Homosexuality and the goth subculture are two things that society's norm is the most afraid of, in my opinion. It just so happens that i AM gay, so i get bashed alot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:38 pm
Well i'm straight but don't mind that people are bi or gay.  

Nimewe

Garbage Vampire

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:14 pm
I think that sexuality isn't really important, more the person. Yes sometimes people stereotype but you can't help it. I have bi, straight and gay friends and I love them all the same.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:02 pm
Hephaistion Patroclus
Are there others?

I myself am straight, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding other homosexuals in the goth culture. I suspect it's as common (perhaps more common) in the goth culture than in most of society.

Hephaistion Patroclus
Do you feel that Gothic culture is more expressive or repressive of homosexuality?

In my experience, the goth culture is very accepting of the practice, even if it's not commonly represented artistically (such as through music or literature) in the culture.

Simply put, the goth culture isn't homophobic, it's just that the goth culture draws strong visual and thematic influence from literature whose romance is almost exclusively heterosexual.  

GilAskan
Crew

morbid_x_youth

4,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:27 pm
I don't think goth culture is either expressive or repressive of homosexuality. Homosexuality is just there. Like it is in alot of cultures. I don't think artists purposefully omit homosexuality from their writings/art, they just do. Or maybe, they just don't want to cause any drama or misunderstanding or something... if that makes any sense? confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:34 pm
GilAskan
Hephaistion Patroclus
Are there others?

I myself am straight, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding other homosexuals in the goth culture. I suspect it's as common (perhaps more common) in the goth culture than in most of society.

I wasn't asking about other homosexuals in this guild. I supposed I should have more clearly linked the antecedent but I was actually asking if there are other examples of homosexuality in Goth culture other than Anne Rice and Poppy Z. Brite.  

Malakoi

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:27 pm
Read the "What originators think of goth" interview thread...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:00 am
Hephaistion Patroclus
GilAskan
Hephaistion Patroclus
Are there others?

I wasn't asking about other homosexuals in this guild. I supposed I should have more clearly linked the antecedent but I was actually asking if there are other examples of homosexuality in Goth culture other than Anne Rice and Poppy Z. Brite.

Alright. In that case...

- Early Irish goth band The Virgin Prunes always had strong homosexual imagery and messages. ( http://p-ol.tripod.com/pic/over.gif )
- American deathrock/goth-rock originator Rozz Williams claims to have been gay for much of his youth, particularly while working on Christian Death.
- Most of the early goth groups had a strong element of sexual ambiguity, many clearly trying (and some succeeding) to seem feminine or androgynous. The practice, at the time, was commonly linked to (perhaps only in connotation) to homosexuality.

I'll think of more, when I have the time.  

GilAskan
Crew

deathcomes_onsilentwings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:05 am
Now that I think of it, I think goth is more about heterosexual love then homosexual. That's strange.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:00 am
deathcomes_onsilentwings
Now that I think of it, I think goth is more about heterosexual love then homosexual. That's strange.

Not necessarily. From what I've seen, one of the biggest underlying themes of goth is the freedom of self-expression. It just so happens that a lot of goths are straight - like in mainstream society - and just because the community is more accepting of different orientations doesn't mean that the majority will be homo or bisexual.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:13 am
lurichan

From my experiences with the subculture, it does seem to be this way. There is a heavy emphasis on self expression, and a sort of indifference twoards sexual orientation. I have met a couple homophobic goths, but they seem to be rare.

One thing which may have helped to form this indifference is the stor of andrygonus tone that the subculture takes on. Gender doesn't seem as large of an issue as it does in mainstream society. Guys in dresses, and girls with very short, or even partially shaven hair, are all pretty normal within the culture. This seeming indifference to gender may cross over into the realm of sexuality as well, so that many goths are indifferent to the issue.

As far as art goes, I honestly don't know why there is so little mention of homosexuality in gothic art, literature, and music. It is understandabel why older gothic literature, such as Poe and Stoker, does not speak of homosexuality, but I do not know why modern gothic literature averts the topic.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff