Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
People these days scare me. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 pm
Not you guys, of course, but kids and everyone in general can't speak or spell.

How do you spell... (these are things my STUDENT TEACHER and classmates always spell wrong)

Definitely? D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

Address? A-D-D-R-E-S-S

Picnic? P-I-C-N-I-C

A lot? A THEN L-O-T

Things like that just.. ugh. There are so many more, but I have eaten massive amounts of sugar today, so I can't think of that many more.

Discuss.

Edit: I realize that people just don't think it looks wrong, but it bothers me all the same. I'm not that mean.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 am
marlyse412

How do you spell... (these are things my STUDENT TEACHER and classmates always spell wrong)

Address? A-D-D-R-E-S-S

Picnic? P-I-C-N-I-C

A lot? A THEN L-O-T

Things like that just.. ugh. There are so many more, but I have eaten massive amounts of sugar today, so I can't think of that many more.

Discuss.

Edit: I realize that people just don't think it looks wrong, but it bothers me all the same. I'm not that mean.
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Picnic? I've never seen anyone get that one wrong. How are people spelling it, "piknik"?

The "a lot" one used to stump me. I always thought it was a compound word. Heh heh.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Harimad-Sol Lin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:41 am
marlyse412

Definitely is always a word I have problems with. Whenever I go to spell it, I always want to spell it definately. I have to pause and think about it and then I can write it the correct way.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:42 am
Yami no Hitokiri
marlyse412

Address? A-D-D-R-E-S-S

Picnic? P-I-C-N-I-C

A lot? A THEN L-O-T

Discuss.

I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Picnic? I've never seen anyone get that one wrong. How are people spelling it, "piknik"?

The "a lot" one used to stump me. I always thought it was a compound word. Heh heh.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Where I'm from, people say a lot all as one word, so if you were trying to write in dialect, then alot is fine. 3nodding  

Prince Platypus

Dapper Phantom

Aithera

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:27 pm
I used to misspell definitely. But I don't anymore.

Definitely = finitely + de at the beginning.
That's how I remember.

Really, how does one misspell picnic?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:35 pm
My student teacher spelled it wrong again today, spelling it like "picknick," also spelling "embarrassment" wrong. She spelled it "embarasment." Ugh.

Also, my trick for spelling definitely is the word "finite" in the middle of it.  

Organic Shadows

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:15 pm
I think the only one of those that I had a hangup on was "definitely." But I definitely don't anymore. mrgreen Haha. I crack me up.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:02 pm
Myeh, I'd taste a lie to say that I haven't spelled those wrong before. But mostly it's due to either A) a temporary brain lapse or B) Being lazy and not using spellcheck when I make a typo or C) not being awake.

I can spell fine, I just have to think for a second on the harder ones. My mouth and my hands (whether it's pen or keyboard at hand) work faster than my brain and it makes me go all ackwards-bay, if you know what I mean.

Then again, there are just some words that I always flub up. I think everyone has at least one. They tend to come and go for me; if I type one enough the problem goes away. But then a new one comes up... sweatdrop Forgive me, I'm a total dipwit.

Yes. Dipwit. That's now totally legit, folks. ninja  

SilverBellsAbove

zingebar

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:30 am
I swear, at least half of the Physical Education department at my school is illiterate.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:42 am
I don't think "writing in dialect" justifies spelling "a lot" as "alot." The only thing writing it that way would accomplish is getting across the speaker's ignorance of how it's -actually- spelled.  

-l- Eli -l-

Sanami2315

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:14 pm
I know. I'm writing a piece for my newspaper about the failure of our public education system.

The only thing I can't stand is when I come across horrific misspellings in typed papers. How does someone see all those red marks and still hit print? And even if he doesn't have a program that uses them, he should get one! There are plenty for free.

How about this? "Firey". GOD, I HATE THAT.

And worse, "Gooder".  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:49 pm
Firey?! *runs*

And another that I like to point out is "misspell."

HOW CAN YOU MISSPELL MISSPELL????

Edit: Kudos for writing to your paper wink  

Organic Shadows

Sanami2315

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:10 am
Thank you.

I just heard the stupidest thing of the day, no matter where you are:

"Which is more gooder here? I can use a comma or a half-colon thingy. Or does a dot work? Which is gooder?"

That's just...wow. It's making me wish I was illiterate.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm
I have trouble with definitely, however, the rest should be easy.  

Ksenia Sergeevina

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 pm
Oi, that's... Oi. Where'd you hear it?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items