Have YOU read the Half-Blood Prince yet? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:17 pm
THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, CLICK BACK NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK.

I'm posting from work - I just finished the book in my lunch break.
I don't know what to say about it really.. I feel as though Rowling's writing has dropped off a little, but we have to account for the fact that the characters are changing every year - the whole puberty thing of course. Of couse some of the non-main characters were lip locking in GOF and Cho kissed Harry in OotP, but we definitely had some more racing hormones in HPB.

As for the more serious plot points.. I don't want to go over them in the first post in case someone clicks on the thread accdientally and sees something they don't want to.

Discuss: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
- your thoughts
- your critique
- the events
- etc  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:30 pm
Now for the meat and bones.

SERIOUSLY, STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED READING THE BOOK

This was a really dark book, and Rowling's humour was most welcome throughout, even though it was mostly overshadowed.
Dumbledore being killed was not shocking as it might have been - I guessed when I learned that there'd be seven books that he would die in book six, because there needed to be a point where Harry would not have anyone to fight for him. He is not as adept a wizard as he needs to be, but I'm sure he will overcome this once he's come of age. Nevertheless, I did not think it would happen the way it did, which brings me to the second chapter, and Snape.
The second chapter is mainly concerned with planting seeds of doubt regarding Snape's loyalty and I must admit, Rowling's reverse psychology hoodwinked me. We were obviously supposed to, by book six, assume that Snape was on Dumbledore's side and Harry was wrong, so being visited by Bellatrix and Narcissa to make an unbreakable vow looked like just another red herring. When he did turn in the end - I did not see it coming. I simply assumed he would break his vow to Narcissa and die rather than fulfil Malfoy's task for him.

Onto lighter things:
Ginny and Harry hooking up was not unexpected, and reasonably welcome within the pace of the book. At the end of OotP I assumed Ginny would stick with Michael Corner or whoever she was with - but in HBP it was perfectly acceptable. Them having to split up was forseeable, but once again not unwelcome. I do not think they will remain apart, however, particularly if Harry's friends do accompany him on his quest in the final book rather than completing their education at Hogwarts.
Ron and Hermione finally getting together. By the time it happened I was tired of thinking about it. Once again however, a welcome addition.
It's nice to know business is booming for the twins, even if some of their product did wind up in the wrong hands.

I don't think I will enjoy Book 7 as much as I've enjoyed the current six. With the apparent departure of Harry from Hogwarts, it won't hold the same charm - but I must admit it's goingto be hard to envision a Hogwarts without Dumbledore, so perhaps there is no alternative if the story is to progress to it's conclusion.

So, how long will we be waiting until then?  

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

NotorietyJames

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 am
I enjoyed this book. alot, in the end. But only in the end.

It really irks me how she put chapter 2 right in the beginning. It pretty much gave away the ending, not to mention completley destroyed any tension she was trying to build with harry's suspicions. I think it wouldve had more of an effect if shed stuck the chapter in as a flashback AFTER snape bursts in and kills dumbledore, when we'd all be like "wtf? but he's with the order!". But alas, she had to put ch. 2 waaay at the beginning.

oh well. I kinda confuse her endings. Just like the last one, we've got a bunch of teenagers and death eaters running around, resulting in one dead guy.

I liked that this book was a bit more.. sophisticated (?) than the original three. Shes lightening up on the filler fluff that i was reading in the first three when i was 12. Its set at a faster pace. You can tell the series is coming to an end. I like it.

CURSE THAT CHAPTER 2!!!!

okay seriously im done wiitht he ch.2 thing. (bad JKR, BAD). There were a couple of cliche scenes that i couldve done without. h/g first kiss, the sappy drawn out ending, other useless things. The whole tonks/remus thing... i think she shouldve either gone more into it, or left that whole stint out of the plot.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:43 am
We've spent five books being conditioned to believe Harry is wrong about Snape. four out of the first five books she makes us believe Snape is evil, then Harry gets proven wrong. Chapter 2 was clearly meant to be another red herring, and I in fact assumed Snape would break his vow and die. I knew Dumbledore owuld die, just not by Snape.
So it was in fact a shock to me when Dumbledore, so weak and at death's door after drinking the potion in the cave, that Snape simply turned his wand on him.
I guess I read it the way it was intended to be read, for better or for worse.  

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

Lady_Imrahil

Gracious Reveler

27,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:03 pm
I think I've got a brainwave on who R.A.B. is....Regulus Black? Sirius's brother who deserted the Death Eaters and was killed? What is his middle name? There must be a reason his name was brought up again... JK Rowling NEVER just drops names. For example, Scrimgeour and the Lovegoods both were mentioned in book 4 and Mungdungus was referenced by Mr. Weasly in book 2....

Book 7 is going to be VERY strange.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:35 pm
Lady_Imrahil
I think I've got a brainwave on who R.A.B. is....Regulus Black? Sirius's brother who deserted the Death Eaters and was killed? What is his middle name? There must be a reason his name was brought up again... JK Rowling NEVER just drops names. For example, Scrimgeour and the Lovegoods both were mentioned in book 4 and Mungdungus was referenced by Mr. Weasly in book 2....

yes, i have that theory as well. plus the fact that he was killed the year harry was born (book five, when theyre at the tapestry), after having turned on voldy.  

NotorietyJames

Magenta Platypus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 pm
Lady_Imrahil

At first I just stared at the R.A.B on my page... Who could it be? And then, who else but a Black? And Sirius's brother, Regulus, fits the bill as well! Besides, do we currently know of any character who would have been around at that time with a last name starting in 'B'?

About the filthy b*****d Snape... I knew he was never on the Order's side... Never once did I think he could be for the good side. Chapter Two sealed and delivered my suspicions, although I never, not in my wildest dreams, thought Snape would... do that... to Dumbledore... People who like him, even the tiniest bit, disgust me. Just because he has "a complex character, oooh!" doesn't mean someone should fancy him. Disgusting.

Harry was right though, wasn't he? "He [Snape] won't last more than a year," or something to that effect. Now... Assuming Professor Slughorn remains as Potions master, who will now take over D.A.D.A? And, of course, this is all under the assumption that Hogwarts remains open. However, I doubt that'll matter, anyway, as Harry won't be attending. Nor will, I think, Ron or Hermione. Mrs Weasly will have kittens over that, though, so I smell a bit of rule-breaking on the air. Hah, like that ever stopped the Golden Trio!

As for the sudden explosion of snogging in the common room... Well, I think we all could've done without it to an extent. I was most happy when Ron and Herm got together in the end, though... Always knew they'd do it! I also thought it fitting that Harry broke up with Ginny. He's not exactly the type to have a lasting relationship, is he? =/ ~Sniffle~ What he hinted at was true though... He'd never forgive himself if another of his friends died indirectly because of him. Hasn't he had enough of that? Cedric... Sirius (although he did not die, damnit)... and now Dumbledore (though the headmaster's death can HARDLY be set on Harry for numerous reasons. Had they known about the locket before... But there wasn't time, either... I digress.)

By the way, sorry if I bounce around from topic to topic... My mind is racing...

About Slughorn: Did any of you find his personality more like a 'Puff than a Slytherin? I couldn't really pin down why he was a Slytherin... He seemed so entirely different from the snake stereotype, yet this was a most welcome change... I rather liked him, though he, at times, reminded me of Lockhart. xp "Harry, m'boy!" blaugh

Lupin! Why wasn't he featured more? I expected him to take on maybe a least a little of a fatherly role to Harry since Sirius disappeared, but he was hardly around at all! Granted, he had good reason, but when JK said he'd be back, I thought she meant really back... Like in Book Three...

Whatever happened to Winky? I suspect she might have been the taster of Slughorn's wines, but that's just a thought...

And why would Tonks go after Remus anyway? He's old enough to be her father, I'd say! Reminds me of a Hollywood match, minus the inevitable breakup a few months down the line. Knock on wood.

Was anyone else thoroughly disgusted to learn that Snape was the HBP? God, I hate him! scream

Hm..... I think that's it... I'll pop in here as more thoughts occur to me about the book...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:40 pm
I agree on the point that Dumbledore had to die. It doesn't make it any less depressing but it had to be done. But...

I'm actually still REALLY wishy washy about who's side Snape is on. Did you notice he never actualy HARMED Harry during his "flight"? Just defended himself by knocking Harry down and disarming him. I doubt Voldemort would have cared if the boy recieved a few wounds so that's not an excuse.

That and I don't believe Dumbledore's plea was for Snape to spare his life. I think he was asking to die. Dumbledore was aware of Snape making the Unbreakable Vow and he had also spent most of the last moments of his life trying to save an "innocent" - Malfoy. I think Dumbledore knew Snape would keep Malfoy safe after he died. That was part of Snape's vow, afterall. But if Snape didn't kill Dumbledore he would have died and Malfoy would have been found and killed for failing his task. That's two people dead for the price of an old (marvelous, glorious, powerfull, and altogether awesome) man. But Dumbledore would have died anyway by the hand of one of the other Death Eaters in the room. So that's three unnecessary deaths. Which is why I think he was telling Snape to kill him. And the look of disgust and revulsion on Snape's face was because Dumbledore was making him do something he didn't want to do and he knew he had to.

But I could be wrong. It's really hard to figure out a character that is such a bloody good liar. But one thing's for sure; whether he's good or evil, he just got a million brownie points from Voldemort and his followers.

Onto the R.A.B. thing. I also think it's Regulus Black. It makes a lot of sense. He wanted out of the Death Eaters maybe before he found out about Voldemort's secret. He wrote the letter, after he stole the Horcrux, knowing he was going to die because nobody's stupid enough to believe they could back out of Voldemort's followers alive. Destroyed the real locket and now he's dead.

Overall, I liked the book. It's not my favorite and there were a few things that bothered me. But it was a hell of a lot better than Book Five, in my opinion.

Sorry for my rambling! I probably haven't made much sense sweatdrop  

Mekania

muffinprincess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:03 am
sure have....so sad crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:24 am
I sispected Snape was the HBP ever since I saw the adult edition cover featuring the tattered potions book, the only thing that kept me from believing that wholeheartedly was that I assumed that you had to be a pureblood to be in Slytherin.

I see Slughorn more as a Slytherin than a Hufflepuff, as someone suggested. If only because of the Slug Club, and all of his efforts to be 'connected' in the wizarding world. Frankly I'm not sure what the point of the Slug Club was - apart from to define Slughorn's character a little more before Harry weaselled the secret about the horcruxes out of him.  

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:29 am
Mekania
I'm actually still REALLY wishy washy about who's side Snape is on. Did you notice he never actualy HARMED Harry during his "flight"? Just defended himself by knocking Harry down and disarming him. I doubt Voldemort would have cared if the boy recieved a few wounds so that's not an excuse.
Having thought about it a little more, I feel Snape may still be against Voldemort - he just knew that Dumbledore would sacrifice himself. Furthermore, being such a great potions master he may have realised Dumbledore would die anyway, from the potion that was in the cave - perhaps Dumbledore was asking Snape to finish him off.
What are the chances Dumbledore will return as a ghost? I don't see it happening.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:10 am
i loved that book through and through rowling wrote it soo well and it always kept you on your toes with twists this book was the puzzle piece we have been waiting for!

it answered our questions ...then gave us MORE! yet in a sly way that will keep us on our toes even more while waiting for the NEW and last book crying

queeneb

Quotable Phantom

5,450 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Sally07

3,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 am
I did love it I beat my record I read it in 2 days beating my own record
About Dumbledore it was sad and a little bit of a suprise althougth I think we all knew that it was gonna be like that now I don't believe Dumbledore's plea was for Snape to kill him but I'm not sure about it right now I'm still analyzing it about Snape I feel he may still be against Voldemort but he fear for his own life about not oveying Voldemort
Tonks and Lupin well now that was a twist I actually never though that Tonks really like Sirious or Lupin but is was something good that little twist
Kreacher- well he was something funny wasn't he wen Harry told him to shut up now that was funny and when he was fighting Dobby and what Peebes was doing too
Ron-Hermione : now the fight that Hermione did when Ron went with Lavender to the room that was funny Ron been pick by the little birds that was funny but it never said that they got together at the end xp
Harry-Ginny that was another twist but not unexpected I actually was asking my self when are they gonna get togeter and at last but I foung the book rather short actually I hope it would have been longer but neutral anyways
Snape- he been the Half Bood prince now it actually never pass my mined
and about our beloved trio not going to school I think we are going to see some rows in there with Mrs Weasley
Percy- that snob
Hogwards it can't be close I just don't think it will be close I mean where will Hagrid go and Firence and I agree with Madam Pomfry as long as there is ONE student wanting to go the school should be opened to that ONE student
sooo yeah biggrin ohh and I made a treat about this too soo SOOORRYYY I didn't know anyone else have done it but if there is a Mod here please feel Free to delated mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am
Kermi
What are the chances Dumbledore will return as a ghost? I don't see it happening.

Well, he's got his own picture frame now, so... Why wouldn't anyone be able to go and talk to him there? Harry might even be able to get more advice from him... I hope so.  

Magenta Platypus

Loie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:07 pm
Does anyone remember the fight that Dumbledore and Snape had in the middle of the book? Well, I think it was about Dumbledore telling Snape that he must kill him if he said he wanted him too. I mean come on. Dumbledore pleeding for his life to Snape? No! He was pleeding to do as he was told. Snape must of told Dumbledore about the Unbreakable Vow he did with Narsissa and Dumbledore knew that at the end, he would have to die. He knew that Harry wouldn't be able to fight Voldy if he was still alive.

Look, I'm not saying that I love Snape, I've always hated him. But it just seems to forward for Snape to just turn on them like that. Dumbledore trusted Snape too much. You just have to trust Dumbledore on his choices and what he thought was right. Remember what he told Harry. "You must do what ever I say." Well, he might of done the same thing with Snape.

just my little thing about that. Now about the RAB:

I have two options. One, is of course, R. Black. He was close with the death eaters and I think his death was not the way it looked. I mean, a Black would never just turned cowared. I think they told the Black family that to dishonor his name as punishment.

Number two is... god I forgot the name but it starts with a B and he runs the ice cream shop. That one, however, is too farfetch.  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff