Reply ~ Main Forum ~
The press Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ciran Crevan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:16 pm
I was watching the TV tonight (not something I do much of anymore) and that show E entertainment came on... As i sat there watching it occured to me at as i sat there i was constantly being fed information that most of which I have no idea whether to believe or not. My thoughts went on to realize that this "media" as we call it, it's only duty is to pry into the lives of a few rare people we call our "stars." This is the exact reason i stopped watching TV lately, I honestly believe that the press in this country has gotten WAY out of hand, I mean there is the news, and that is good in many ways, but honestly haven't you sat there and listened as the news people knowingly explain outright a few war plans that the U.S. had decided to use....Like now...when we're at war...I know I have. I mean are they really that stupid? Do you think that they don't know there could possibly be a enemy spy sitting there in a dumpy hotel room watching CNN and getting all the information his leader needs to plan a counter attack?

I dunno it just pisses me off how stupid the media is sometimes....like the fact that they tell you the same thing over and over and over again when it happens....i seriously don't need to know that there was a shooting at VA tech 14 times in the same hour.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm
Nothing to do really, except try and get into news yourself.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

_S_P_I_K_E_B_A_N_D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:53 pm
Well, I don't watch much of TV anymore either, and I must say that I agree with your views on how a terrorist watching the news can rely every plan to his boss. Although, that's what I would believe if I didn't believe that the media fed us lies on the most part. Those plans to flank behind? Na, we just said that cause we know your gonna prepare for that, then were gonna hit just like we were gonna from the start. Propaganda is a very dangerous thing.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:35 am
The news has got stupid, there have been many cases where it's actually gone on to say how a mastermind criminal (or whatever) managed to get away with things for so long, or trick the police, or make explosives or whatever.

I mean there could be any number of nutcases watching thinking "oh, thats useful information, i could use that later" xp  

ElBristow

Suicide Lollies

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:12 am
They're obviously not going to release top secret war plans on the six o'clock news. rolleyes If anything, they're just throwing in a few unimportant war-related things so the government looks like its doing a decent job of the whole war on terrorism. If they don't' keep reassuring the public, they will either begin to doubt the war if they haven't already or get worried.
The media is both a good and bad thing. It has the power to entertain and inform us but also has the power to manipulate and fill our heads with propaganda. When I see western countries feeding viewers propaganda through their news I get worried. It just makes me think of Nazi Germany and contemplate if anything like that could occur again in our society.
But on the topic of the war, what has disgusted me was when I heard that US soldiers who had come back from Iraq for being shot in friendly fire, killed or something, had this whole completely untrue heroic story made up about them. It's a complete insult to these people. They've just spent months out there risking their lives. They don't need to have a whole media storm created about them over something they didn't even do. Now that is what I call out of hand media.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:16 am
Media, in my opinion, is a big hoax...

I mean all the news corporations work under a larger conglomerate corporate head... They get together, and they decide what the nation should know... It's a monopoly, and propaganda...

Honestly, I don't even watch TV news, other than the daily show... and I don't watch that for the news... I have subscriptions to multiple small business newspapers that give their views on world topics... I compare, and contrast... and have come to the conclusion that I hate America...

Countries this big just don't work... The states should become their own countries, and just be integrated... like the EU... It would work a lot better that way...  

Bloody Loon

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 am
Ciran Crevan
I was watching the TV tonight (not something I do much of anymore) and that show E entertainment came on... As i sat there watching it occured to me at as i sat there i was constantly being fed information that most of which I have no idea whether to believe or not. My thoughts went on to realize that this "media" as we call it, it's only duty is to pry into the lives of a few rare people we call our "stars." This is the exact reason i stopped watching TV lately, I honestly believe that the press in this country has gotten WAY out of hand, I mean there is the news, and that is good in many ways, but honestly haven't you sat there and listened as the news people knowingly explain outright a few war plans that the U.S. had decided to use....Like now...when we're at war...I know I have. I mean are they really that stupid? Do you think that they don't know there could possibly be a enemy spy sitting there in a dumpy hotel room watching CNN and getting all the information his leader needs to plan a counter attack?

I dunno it just pisses me off how stupid the media is sometimes....like the fact that they tell you the same thing over and over and over again when it happens....i seriously don't need to know that there was a shooting at VA tech 14 times in the same hour.

Try, and get into news yourself.....  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:02 pm
Kaishi Kyouki
Media, in my opinion, is a big hoax...

I mean all the news corporations work under a larger conglomerate corporate head... They get together, and they decide what the nation should know... It's a monopoly, and propaganda...

Honestly, I don't even watch TV news, other than the daily show... and I don't watch that for the news... I have subscriptions to multiple small business newspapers that give their views on world topics... I compare, and contrast... and have come to the conclusion that I hate America...

Countries this big just don't work... The states should become their own countries, and just be integrated... like the EU... It would work a lot better that way...

Agreed. I get most of my news from different websites, as well as a few smaller newspapers.

Honestly, most of the junk they put on TV news isn't even worth watching... it's just junk about sports and celeberties. NEWS is information about politics and major world events, not junk about the latest just-for-the-hell-of-it celeberty marriage, or who won a baseball game last night.  

DreamerSpirit

KoRnfucius

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:02 pm
I don't watch the news anymore. It angers me too much. Chances are I'll hear about it anyway, whether from friends or family or from browsing the internet. And with all the satire on current events finding its way into sitcoms and such, eventually I figure out what's going on. Cutting out the news hasn't cut me off as much as I thought it would.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 pm
ElBristow
The news has got stupid, there have been many cases where it's actually gone on to say how a mastermind criminal (or whatever) managed to get away with things for so long, or trick the police, or make explosives or whatever.

I mean there could be any number of nutcases watching thinking "oh, thats useful information, i could use that later" xp

That basically sums up my thoughts every time I turn on the damn T.V...

The news could announce "airport security has tightened, they are now doing manditory cavity searches!" and some guy planning to bomb the next flight out of new york to boston could say "okay, I won't hide the bomb up my *various bodily cavity*, maybe if I implant it in my skin they won't find it!" You see, they're telling criminals to get more creative. They're saying, "okay, if you want to rob the bank here's what your up against!". They may be hoping to inimidate them somehow, but in reality they're just helping them along. It sort of defeats the purpose of security and secrecy doesn't it.

Maybe they're just lying, but first hand experience proves they aren't. And I'm sick of seeing those stupid movie stars on the T.V. 24/7, "oh she looked drunk last night!" or "he broke up with her again", I don't give a damn and it's really none of my buisness what Tom Cruise is up to in his back yard!!!! And WHO THE ******** CARES if some movie star got drunk!!!!

*on a rant, sorry...*  

Henneth Annun
Captain

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:58 pm
Don't blaim the entrepenuer, blame the customer.

The media wouldn't put celebrity gossip on TV if not for the fact that millions of people are paying them to do it. The media is simply indulging the benefits of a consumer-driven economy, one in which the general public is more interested in Paris Hilton than Ayatollah Khomeini, more interested in Britney Spears than Vladmir Putin.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:25 pm
GilAskan
Don't blaim the entrepenuer, blame the customer.

The media wouldn't put celebrity gossip on TV if not for the fact that millions of people are paying them to do it. The media is simply indulging the benefits of a consumer-driven economy, one in which the general public is more interested in Paris Hilton than Ayatollah Khomeini, more interested in Britney Spears than Vladmir Putin.

*humbles self* Sorry, it was a rant....

It's a pretty basic concept though. It wouldn't be there if people didn't want it, and it wouldn't be so widespread and "major" either.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:12 pm
I'll never understand why some people pay so much attention to that crap.

In my old school, I'd go, and half the people would be talking about which celebrity had broken up with who. >_<

I couldn't care less about any of them.

And it's already been said, but yeah, they lie and manipulate. No sane person would believe half of what they say.

And when they're not lying, they're telling some crap about how a cat got stuck in a tree, or some kid I don't know or care for won $1000. confused  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:59 pm
I've trained myself to tune out all the buzz about celebrities. This is because I've come to realize that as long as people want to listen, the media will keep on putting it out. As for real news, I read and watch with an object mind. That is I watch the stations that are most likely to give me an unbiased report. Same goes for what newpapers I read.

It makes a big statement about our country when more people listen to celebrity gossip than world events. It really speaks to the igorance of the general public. Which I think is the one of country's biggest problems.

Laharl Part Deux

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:27 pm
Laharl Part Dux
I've trained myself to tune out all the buzz about celebrities. This is because I've come to realize that as long as people want to listen, the media will keep on putting it out. As for real news, I read and watch with an object mind. That is I watch the stations that are most likely to give me an unbiased report. Same goes for what newpapers I read.

It makes a big statement about our country when more people listen to celebrity gossip than world events. It really speaks to the igorance of the general public. Which I think is the one of country's biggest problems.

Some of them listen, but do they care? No. The average person just isn't going to buy a cup of cofee and strike up a conversation about the genocide in Darfur with the nearest person. Maybe it's because they think that they can't do anything about international events, or if they don't see how it effects them directly or in a large enough way, why bother with the event at all? Maybe they don't care enough to make a difference or think they can't so they don't even try.

As for what you said in the second paragraph, it does speak. It speaks of how we care about the life of one person who entertains us at the cinema every three hours and that we don't give a damn (or care less) about the ten thousand people being slaughtered out there, or the issues that could make it so that none of us live to go to that cinema ever again....  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff