Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Improper Use of "Good" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The improper use of the word "good" makes me:
  Want to gag, hurl, puke, and vomit
  Shudder uncontrollably
  Shrug; these things happen
  slightly humilated; I've made those mistakes a few times...
View Results

Sweet Blushes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:12 pm
I have many experiences with this term. For instance, just the previous day, I have been commented on singing "good". Yet, in that particular sentence, "good" had been used incorrectly. Rather than using "good", the proper term would be "well". Personally, I have made numerous mistakes while using "good", but my dear friends have corrected my error. Continuing on, have you ever been extrememly annoyed by the misuse of the word "good"?

-----------Discuss-----

-If you have previously made that error
-Have been in a situation when the mistake was made
-Your feelings towards this frequent error in our society  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am
That annoys me, too. I'm also often annoyed when people try to be show-offs and correct me if they ask how I am and I say "I'm good." Because that's correct. It's only if I were to say that I'm *doing* well that I would need to change it, yet people feel the need to correct me all the same.
Ok, rant over. But in short, I totally agree. Down with good and up with well! =)  

ChibiStarlet

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:59 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

I'll admit I used to speak in that manner. Since I became grammar conscious, I've been trying to break the habit.

Now that I'm more attuned to grammar, it drives me nuts to hear someone saying, "You did that so good!" Ugh! xp

It's also the same thing with "right". "Can't you do anything right?" should be "Can't you do anything properly?" or "Can't you do anything correctly?"

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 pm
-If you have previously made that error

After I learned it was wrong, never.

-Have been in a situation when the mistake was made

Yes, every freakin' day!

-Your feelings towards this frequent error in our society
I hate it.  

Venat the Undying

blueturnsgrey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:46 am
Ooooh, it's one of my pet peeves.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:34 pm
I've made that mistake before...and sometimes, when I'm not paying attention, I still do.  

Patron with a Mission

omiyashi0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:04 am
I've always made that error. However, I am getting a lot better at correcting it. When I'm speaking I anticipate the use between 'good' and 'well.' Now, I hardly use "good" improperly.

That mistake is always made around me. Usually I'll correct it when I hear it though.

I'm a bit more leniant towards that mistake. It annoys me, but not too much.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:38 am
Because I'm surrounded by the constant bad grammar of today's society, I mess up a few things sometimes, including that. I tell my friends to correct me if I'm using bad grammar and am not noticing it. I make more mistakes with grammar when I speak as opposed to writing because I am shy, and I sometimes mess things up because of that when I'm actually speaking.  

l3viathan

XDBunny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:18 am
blueturnsgrey
Ooooh, it's one of my pet peeves.

Same here.

My mother and grandmother are constantly making this mistake. It drives me CRAZY! I wish they would stop. Although, I tend to make this error on occasion. ><;

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:53 pm
After I learned it was improper, I've been able to keep myself from making that mistake too often. And if I do make the mistake, like with other errors generally resulting in my typing too quickly, I correct myself.  

psychoyoshi

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:03 pm
After I learned it was wrong, it never happened again. I always get in "trouble" for correcting people, so I try not to and end up shuddering uncontrollably.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:05 am
... Up until now, I thought that the usage of 'good' like in the sentence you mentioned was also another variation of 'You did that so well!'

But then I do not remember using 'good' improperly! xd  

Shikaeii

Shygoddess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:09 pm
I have made that mistake when speaking quickly or when nervous. But I am learning to fix this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:25 pm
Well, I often say it like that, even knowing it's grammatically incorrect. I would never -write- it that way, of course, but I still say it. O:  

Drake Elias Zephyr

Monkey-Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:29 pm
Gah, I hate it when people do that, although I occasionally say "You did good" when I'm trying to imitate the Mafia guys you see in movies. Why do they say that? "You did good." Flaaaargh *puts head in hands due to frustration*  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff