Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Silver's Recycled Yarn Project Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold for you.
  Whee!
View Results

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:47 am
Sooooo I read ForestGreen's post in the tutorials section on recycling old sweaters. So long story short my fat sweater is being recycled into a lovely new tank top. Here is a picture of my progress on taking the sweater apart. The ball in only God knows how many yards long and is one of the sleeves, and the other sleeve of the sweater. Though now both sleeves are wrapped into balls. Oh and the Wrangles schedule (the bit of paper) there is the size of a business card, I put it there for size refrence. This is the pattern I'll be using for my tank top. :3 it looks nice don't you think? Right now the circulars I have are bigger than the pattern calls for, but I'm going to test it out. the worst that happens is I have to take it apart and get different needles. I'll keep ya'll updated. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:03 am
Silver Sunrise
Sooooo I read ForestGreen's post in the tutorials section on recycling old sweaters. So long story short my fat sweater is being recycled into a lovely new tank top. Here is a picture of my progress on taking the sweater apart. The ball in only God knows how many yards long and is one of the sleeves, and the other sleeve of the sweater. Though now both sleeves are wrapped into balls. Oh and the Wrangles schedule (the bit of paper) there is the size of a business card, I put it there for size refrence. This is the pattern I'll be using for my tank top. :3 it looks nice don't you think? Right now the circulars I have are bigger than the pattern calls for, but I'm going to test it out. the worst that happens is I have to take it apart and get different needles. I'll keep ya'll updated. 3nodding
I made the soleil tank, too! You'll want to watch your gauge. The yarn they used is not worsted weight. I believe it's DK weight.

I think it comes out really pretty, but a bit shorter than I would've liked. Oh well. sweatdrop

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm
Peppermint Elf
I made the soleil tank, too! You'll want to watch your gauge. The yarn they used is not worsted weight. I believe it's DK weight.

I think it comes out really pretty, but a bit shorter than I would've liked. Oh well. sweatdrop

the yarn I'm recycling is fairly light weight, I think it's whatever is before DK. So far it looks alright. though I'm only 1 and 1/2 round in to it. xd How much shorter? I hate having my back stick out betweem my top and jeans. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 pm
Silver Sunrise
Peppermint Elf

the yarn I'm recycling is fairly light weight, I think it's whatever is before DK. So far it looks alright. though I'm only 1 and 1/2 round in to it. xd How much shorter? I hate having my back stick out betweem my top and jeans. sweatdrop
It's about 2 inches below your waistline. If you have super low cut jeans, it'll probably rest a few centimeters above the top of your pants. It should cover all other styles of pants/shorts.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:06 pm
Peppermint Elf
Silver Sunrise
Peppermint Elf

It's about 2 inches below your waistline. If you have super low cut jeans, it'll probably rest a few centimeters above the top of your pants. It should cover all other styles of pants/shorts.
*cough cough* my butt is to big to wear low-rise anymore *cough cough* Thank you for the input! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
It's good to know that someone is getting use out of the tutorials I posted on recycling sweaters. One of these days I'm going to find the pictures that were taken of the shawl I made from my recycled yarn and post them.
That tank top pattern is a popular one, you're not the first person I've heard say is going to make it. It's popular for a reason though, it's really cute. I'm guessing that adding a few extra rows above the lace section wouldn't hurt a bit since longer tops seem to be in style now. The pattern was written in 2005 when shorter tops were still in style.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:59 am
ForestGreen
It's good to know that someone is getting use out of the tutorials I posted on recycling sweaters. One of these days I'm going to find the pictures that were taken of the shawl I made from my recycled yarn and post them.
That tank top pattern is a popular one, you're not the first person I've heard say is going to make it. It's popular for a reason though, it's really cute. I'm guessing that adding a few extra rows above the lace section wouldn't hurt a bit since longer tops seem to be in style now. The pattern was written in 2005 when shorter tops were still in style.

That's very true. I've just got to find a row where it's knit all the way around, that way I'm not messing with a decrease or increase row. But if I remember the first row after the lace is all knit so I think I could add 'em in there. You think three rows extra should be enough?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:03 am
Silver Sunrise
ForestGreen

That's very true. I've just got to find a row where it's knit all the way around, that way I'm not messing with a decrease or increase row. But if I remember the first row after the lace is all knit so I think I could add 'em in there. You think three rows extra should be enough?
3 should be ok. I'd probably add 4-5, tho. But that's just me.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:55 am
Peppermint Elf
Silver Sunrise
ForestGreen

3 should be ok. I'd probably add 4-5, tho. But that's just me.
I think I'll go with the 4 or 5, I'd rather have it be a little long than still to short. *nod* biggrin Thank you for the input. biggrin Again xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 pm
Update! whee

Here is my work so far [X] and an up-close of the stitches [X] . The flash changed the color slightly. the color of the yarn irl is closer to what is in the first pic. Don't we just love my ring stitch marker (it's the first peice of jewelry my hubby bought me when we were dating whee )? I'll post more when I get the rest of the lace done. 3nodding  

Silver Sunrise

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:15 am
Pretty!

My stitch markers on my current WIP make my husband laugh. One is one of the beaded ones I make, the other is the keys from a set of handcuffs. ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 am
AriRashkae
Pretty!

My stitch markers on my current WIP make my husband laugh. One is one of the beaded ones I make, the other is the keys from a set of handcuffs. ninja
handcuff keys would make me laugh too! whee What do you use to make stitch markers with?  

Silver Sunrise

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm
More pictures. I just finished taking the sweater apart. biggrin Had to show off the pretty balled yarn. xd I know I'm a dork. [Picture here]  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:08 pm
Hey, that yarn's pretty!  

Brunette_Star

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 pm
That's nice looking yarn. I loved seeing my recycled sweater all balled up like that too, it looked like so much yarn that way.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff