Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
odd crafting tools Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mmmm gold
  if only I could buy yarn with gold....
View Results

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 pm
I'm a crocheter, through and through. Probably the happiest hooker you'll ever meet. One of my favorite things to do is to crochet in class. I have severe ADD and it really helps me focus.

However, I'm currently in this class, it's two hours long and SO boring that not even crochet can keep me awake. So I decided to try something new. I've recently learned how to knit, and am working on mastering a stitch that I forget the name of but its when you knit a row then purl a row. So, I decided that I wanted to practice knititng. Alas, I possesed no needles. But this would not stop me! For I am a true yarn lover. So I took two ball point pens out of my purse and began knitting with those. It worked like a charm!

Anyone else have a similar odd craft tool experience?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 pm
The stitch you're thinking of is stockinette.

I had to knit a swatch for a textiles class, but left my needles at my parents, so I knit on prismacolor pencils. I don't recommend it it. The unfinished wood catches like crazy.

I also use office supplies in my knitting. I forget what they're called, but they're like the rings from binders, but there's just one. Anyway, I use them to keep my many stitch/row markers in order, and I use the small ones to mark rows on big projects, so that I can see my progress.  

knitting_needle_ninja

nax is back

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:09 pm
caffinated_tulip
Probably the happiest hooker you'll ever meet.
Hmmm, refrase this?? wink

I have these two chopsticks that I like to use as needles when I'm bored!! I'v also used cooking skewers and straight pins!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:07 am
Weirdest I've gotten was paperclips and handcuff keys for stitch markers.

Unless you count the 2 year old and the cat as ball un-winders. wink  

AriRashkae

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:29 am
The legs of my parents' coffee table as a knitty knoddy. It works ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:39 am
My friend and I decided to knit together some twine as a sort of bed for a school project...we only had the twine and sticks.

It was super hard to knit 'cuz it wasn't smooth though.  

Mildred Pierce

nax is back

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:59 pm
Oh, and I'v also used a music stand to wind a hank. o  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:06 pm
It's not exactly a crafting tool, but for crafting odd places, I've memorized the approximate proportions of my hand over the years. My thumb is just about 3" from the tip to the first knuckle, and my hand is almost exactly 7 1/2" from the tip of my middle finger to the heel of my palm.

I still measure before doing anything drastic, but it helps me know if I should put away a sweater sleeve before I have to unknit 3 inches or give it to an orangutan.

Oh, and I've found myself doing the ever popular knitting with chopsticks when bored.  

Blue-eyes-green

Fionamule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 pm
drum sticks work as needles as well, like chopsticks only bigger.
I also once made a pencil into a crochet hook before (takes a long time).

oh yea and ive made paperclips and toothpicks into yarn needles and sewing needles (respectively)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 pm
I once had to cut out a bunch of pictures from magazine's cor a school collage... but all I had on me was my seam ripper... that was fun. rolleyes  

Lee Kushrenada

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:44 pm
I've used those T-shaped floral pins as knitting needles before, when i was knitting a dolfie-sized scarf...worked like a charm!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:01 am
Kanae Shin
I've used those T-shaped floral pins as knitting needles before, when i was knitting a dolfie-sized scarf...worked like a charm!

That sounds genius. What did you use for yarn? I guess strands of emboidery floss would probably work at that scale.  

Blue-eyes-green

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:20 am
Blue-eyes-green
Kanae Shin

That sounds genius. What did you use for yarn? I guess strands of emboidery floss would probably work at that scale.

actually, i took apart a strand of this really soft sport-weight yarn and that worked beautifully.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:40 am
I've crocheted chunky items with my index finger.  

AriRashkae

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 am
I think the weirdest thing I've ever used is my cat as a ball-unwinder. She LOVES to help me crochet. (She pounces on the yarn, chews on it, and even chases my hook!) Sometimes I have to warn whoever is recieving the finished item that there's some cat spit in it.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff