Submit

NEW PUNK IS MAINSTREAM?
  OH YES!!!
  HELL NO!!!
  WHATS PUNK???
View Results

switchfootnut43

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:42 pm
uh i think that punk has gone mainstream i mean like green day was probably the first to push the envolope but then came bowling for soup and then good charlotte then mcr then all american rejects i just dont think that punk is a rebellion against mainstream anymore  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Well, none of those were really punk.. more like pop. >>;

Shigures Editor

blackbird_1565

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:02 am
True... but they, especially Good Charlotte, helped to push the punk "image" in the mainstream culture. In that sense, as the Clash put it, they've turned "rebellion into money."

As far as new punk goes, I think it has become more accesible, especially with myspace, and the ease you can get yourself and your music on the internet. It is also, somewhat mainstream, although you still kind of have to be aware of it and look for it. I know I did.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:02 am
blackbird_1565
True... but they, especially Good Charlotte, helped to push the punk "image" in the mainstream culture. In that sense, as the Clash put it, they've turned "rebellion into money."

As far as new punk goes, I think it has become more accesible, especially with myspace, and the ease you can get yourself and your music on the internet. It is also, somewhat mainstream, although you still kind of have to be aware of it and look for it. I know I did.

I totally have to agree with you. Heh I don't know what to add actually confused
Well, Good Charlotte is total pop, I mean they're touring with Justin Timberlake! Bleh evil I don't exactly know what to label punk lately.  

RachelPandoRa

rikaLeshay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:55 am
I think a lot of the bands people call punk right now (Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, Green Day) are really more pop. You can tell they're influenced by punk but the sound is more pop. I think the closest to a punk sound you could get right now would be Gallows.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm
Quote:
uh i think that punk has gone mainstream i mean like green day was probably the first to push the envolope but then came bowling for soup and then good charlotte then mcr then all american rejects i just dont think that punk is a rebellion against mainstream anymore

All American Rejects is pop
Green Day is corporate punk so they dont count (ask Johnny Rotten)
MCR or My Chemical Romance had one song on american top 40 the rest are on the alternative chart
Bowling for soup's last hits wr Almost and 1985 back in like 2004
and Good Charlotte is sort ov pop like but are more punk
sooooo I guess not  

nosneb2000

nosneb2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm
yep  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 pm
Guys, there's this thing called SUB-GENREs of punk.

loraineANING

Fairebaby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:11 am
The days of punk being a stand against the government and society is way past gone. The new "punk" is still good music don't get me wrong but it is defiantly more mainstream than what punk was originally. When It was about the Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash it was because they were angry and wanted the world to know it. During the 70's in england when punk originated it was a form of rebellion. I my self like a lot of the new bands but I also think it would be cool to start to see punk going back to it's roots. I think that Green Day is doing a good job with starting that.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 pm
Shigures Editor

Well, none of those were really punk.. more like pop. >>;

Seriously, i don't think i would classify those as punk, more like alt-pop.  

Switchblade Saint
Crew

PeopleMakeMeSick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 am
punk doesn't exist anymore  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:06 pm
PeopleMakeMeSick
punk doesn't exist anymore

Well theres always the shell that was once The Misifits.

And that's only in the US.

Punk exists outside the US and Europe just to let you know.  

Zetta Beam!!!

karmacode89

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:50 pm
None of those bands are even punk, you obviously dont know what your talking about.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 am
Ever heard of POP-PUNK guys!  

[tommyg]

w h i s p e r SHOUT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 am
I just listen to whatever sounds good.
Everyone always disagrees over genres... they all came from the same kind of music, so they're all a bit similar anyway.

*The Music*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff