Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
bamboo yarn & fiber Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:39 am
ok so I just got back from a new little yarn store in a town near mine... every thing there was hand spun, and I think she had the most raw fiber I've ever seen in one place at any time.
so I got some raw bamboo fiber and another drop-spindle, (I made my first), and am enjoying spinning up some new yarn.

the bamboo is like silk, but a third the price, but I don't really know anything about it... how do they take a hard plant like bamboo and make it into such lilky fibe like this? can I wash it? I know she said that I can't dye it like wool, how can I dye it? she allso said that bamboo is a natural anti bacterial, dose any one know anything about that ether?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:39 am
Probably they strip the plant down to individual fibers and recombine it. Similar to how Papyrus reeds were pulled apart to make paper.

Bamboo-t-shirt.com has a .pdf (linked) all about Bamboo yarn, including dyeing, and yes, according to them, it is anti-bacterial. 3nodding  

AriRashkae

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:25 am
I absolutely hated spinning with bamboo. It shed everywhere, and was hard to draft (this was probably due to the short staple length and the general slipperiness of the fibers). And after all the work (and a huge mess - I was shedding bamboo for days!) the finished product didn't even feel all that nice. sad

As for fiber generation, most plant fibers are produced by grinding the material up and then forcing it through spinerettes (think pasta makers for plant mush)

It is antibacterial because of the presence of the compound "bamboo kun," which has been shown to kill many species of skin-dwelling bacteria. I've done some research as to what exactly bamboo kun is without much success. My best guess is it's a general anti-microbial peptide that is produced by many plants. In nature there is much competition for growing space, so many trees and grasses produce natural pesticides to kill bugs, bacteria, or even other plants. I've seen reports that the anti-bacterial properties of bamboo fiber are lost after much washing.

I do not have any suggestions for dyeing this fiber because the ability to take up dye can be quite variable depending on preparation. If you try carding it with another fiber it may be convinced to take dye.

P.S. If you're looking for cheap silk substitutes look into tencel and soy. Soy sorta has the feel of silk that is has not been degummed, and it is grippier than bamboo. I'm a HUGE fan of merino/tencel blends. So shimmery and fun to spin!

Happy spinning!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that 100% bamboo does not have the elasticity of wool so make sure you take this into account when you plan what you will make with your new yarn. And, please share your results and thoughts!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:29 am
The process for making bamboo into yarn is similar to the way they make rayon out of wood pulp according to a website. I couldn't find much other information on bamboo yarn though.
I'm going to assume that since the processes are similar rayon dyes might work on bamboo too. I doubt they would give you exactly the same colors, but who knows. I'd call the people at Dharma Trading Co. http://www.dharmatrading.com/ and see if they have any information about dying bamboo fiber.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:25 pm
I bought a pound of bamboo to spin... unfortunately, it is NOT carded, so I haven't even spun with it yet. crying  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:16 pm
Peppermint Elf
I bought a pound of bamboo to spin... unfortunately, it is NOT carded, so I haven't even spun with it yet. crying

Do you have a pet? If so, those wide metal-toothed combs can be used as hand-carders. smile It's certainly cheaper than a $60-80 pair!  

Tinuvial

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 pm
Tinuvial
Peppermint Elf

Do you have a pet? If so, those wide metal-toothed combs can be used as hand-carders. smile It's certainly cheaper than a $60-80 pair!
I do, but the only brush she has is a flea comb. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:47 pm
sorry I have not goten back sooner... its been crazy over here.

well I don''t have much time, but I wanted to thank you all for the info. its really a strange fiber, but I'm liking it a lot.
I sput up a ball of it the other day... than my boss got a hold of it, and I'm shore she'll put into a scarf. xd so now I have to spin up some more.

thank's, and love's! heart  

Lee Kushrenada

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Lee Kushrenada
sorry I have not goten back sooner... its been crazy over here.

well I don''t have much time, but I wanted to thank you all for the info. its really a strange fiber, but I'm liking it a lot.
I sput up a ball of it the other day... than my boss got a hold of it, and I'm shore she'll put into a scarf. xd so now I have to spin up some more.

thank's, and love's! heart
Lee... I'm just wondering, do you have a wheel or do you spindle spin? surprised  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:14 pm
I wish I had a wheel. no, I spindle, I made my first, and I just got a new one. I'm getting a lot better at my spinning too.
I really want to get a 'joy' spinning wheel, but I just don't have an extra 400$ to blow on some thing I really don't need. I think I might have to make a wheel fund though. xd  

Lee Kushrenada

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 pm
I didn't know that spinning wheels cost that much. A few months ago I mentioned to my mom that it might be nice to know how to spin my own yarn and she offered to loan me her spinning wheel and drum carder. I asked for a rain check because I don't have the time or patience to learn it now. (I still need to advance my knitting skills) She hasn't had the time to spin in years so the wheel and carder just sit unused in her storage locker.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:17 am

lol "bamboo-kun". i rather invest in a knitting machine or a new sewing machine which i desperately need.... but i still enjoy normal knitting bc machine knitting is a bit different to me

Kanhoro

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm
Lee Kushrenada
I wish I had a wheel. no, I spindle, I made my first, and I just got a new one. I'm getting a lot better at my spinning too.
I really want to get a 'joy' spinning wheel, but I just don't have an extra 400$ to blow on some thing I really don't need. I think I might have to make a wheel fund though. xd
*nods* I bought a "learn to spin" kit which came with (I find out later) a pretty expensive gemstone spindle. Pretty, but not particularly useful. I made 3 more after that out of wooden truck wheels and dowels. I've since bought a Bosworth Midi Spindle (which is amazing eek ) and a Mala Spindle (it's a bit heavy, but spins well). My mom got me a Spindolyn for my birthday a few days ago, but my drafting isn't good enough to use that yet. If you decide to invest in a professionally made spindle, I really suggest the Bosworth spindles. They're light, fast, and well made. 3nodding

(I got to try the Golding Aromatherapy RingSpindles at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, but I thought they were a bit heavy. They did work well, but the price is quite scary.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 pm
Lee Kushrenada

I've heard lots of good things about the Joy, but I ended up getting the Ashford Traveller. I definately recommend buying it unfinished so you can pick your own stain and finish for the wheel. I've seen the Ashford wheels that were bought "laquered" and they're super glossy. It just doesn't look right on a wheel. xd

I actually really enjoyed staining and assembling my wheel because it meant that I got to really take time to think about the mechanics of spinning and become familiar with all of the pieces.

I greatly prefer a wheel to a spindle. The rhythm of spinning is so soothing and natural that even after I stop I can still feel myself rocking to the same tempo I was treadling. I've heard stories of other spinners "falling asleep at the wheel," and I totally see how it happens! It's just so relaxing!  

Tinuvial

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:42 pm
Tinuvial
Lee Kushrenada

I've heard lots of good things about the Joy, but I ended up getting the Ashford Traveller. I definately recommend buying it unfinished so you can pick your own stain and finish for the wheel. I've seen the Ashford wheels that were bought "laquered" and they're super glossy. It just doesn't look right on a wheel. xd

I actually really enjoyed staining and assembling my wheel because it meant that I got to really take time to think about the mechanics of spinning and become familiar with all of the pieces.

I greatly prefer a wheel to a spindle. The rhythm of spinning is so soothing and natural that even after I stop I can still feel myself rocking to the same tempo I was treadling. I've heard stories of other spinners "falling asleep at the wheel," and I totally see how it happens! It's just so relaxing!
I tell you, I am SOOO tempted by the Ashford Kiwi. Alas, I seriously have NO room for a wheel (even one as small as the Kiwi), so the one I'll probably end up getting is the Bosworth Journey Wheel. They have a super small one that's around 8 x 10 inches when it's closed.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff