Submit

i
  loved it
  hated it
  eh
View Results

Shogun_Emrys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:59 pm
ok so this will be a discussion about the book and it most definatley will contain spoilers. I personally missed out on getting the book at midnight but my friend was at the store saturday afternoon and grabbed one of the last copies for me and i finished it in less than 15 hours(although i got hammered and couldn't start till sunday morning. lol) anyway who would have thought that Dumbledore had asked Snape to Kill him. I kinda knew that he had planned for it to happen but i never thought that they were in on it together. and what about harry dieing, that Dumbledore also planned for i mean wtf.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:39 am
I cried... A lot... Then again, I basically grew as the characters grew, and felt a deep bond with them. Few things do that to me, but Potter has just sort have been with me for a long time. There was a lot in this final book that shocked me, among them, the fact that Snape and Albus had planned most everything from the very start. It was really strange to feel a sort of love towards Snape, after everything. Aside from that, I had actually guessed that Harry had been an accidental horcrux. While I was leaving OotP, my mother and I were discussing possibilities of the final book, and it just hit me. Of course I didn't think to factor in Harry Voldemort's blood-bond. I just as well assumed that Harry would indeed have to die.

All in all, I'm greatly pleased with the book, though I think they could have left the epilogue out. It really raised more questions that, as far as anyone knows, will go unanswered. My friend has been asking me all sorts of questions, in hopes that I might have an answer. And now, I've gone about wondering what transpired in those 19 years. What happened to everyone else, how did the world go about recovering from Voldemort's short reign, and if Harry was Teddy's Godfather, then why does it imply that Teddy never lived with him, after Lupin and Tonks... *starts to tear up* Well, after they died. Come to think of it, I have a lot of questions...

Dah! So many things I must know, and scant chance that I may find answers... Still, I loved it.  

Advent Shadow

Shogun_Emrys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:49 pm
I know what you mean. I had never made that connection and when they revealed it i was like so that's what happened and that's why harry and voldemort are bonded so closely. i always had a suspicion that dumbledore was right to trust snape but J.K. Rowlings did a superb job in making us all want to hate snape with a passion. and as for the epilogue i think it helped to explain a little and it probably prevented a lot of information that should stop a lot of questions but it also presented a lot more questions. like with teddy, and it never explained what harry was doing now. i mean, did he become a quidditch player or did he become an auror or was he presented with some other job title which most would agree to be appropriate for the wizard who defeated lord voldemort. i personally think that there would have been those who would like to see harry become a teacher at the school or take a top ministry job or something of the sort. grr. i guess though that we will never get the chance to find these out........but we can always dream right.
Right.....

RIGHT!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:22 am
Meh, I always had faith that Snape was really helping out. At the end of just about every book (save for number six, which ended before it could happen), Snape had SOME redeeming quality revealed about him. He was walking a very thin line, and he knew it, so he had to be extraordinarily convincing. I congratulate Rowling on actually pulling off the character well enough to cause such controversy about his loyalties.

Second thing: Harry's little "shaman's death" sequence. I thought that was pretty cool, to be honest. Especially at the end, when he asked whether it was real, or just all in his head. The answer: "Of course it was all in your head, but that doesn't make it any less real, does it?"

Third thing: Was I the only one that thought that Neville and Mrs. Weasley suddenly turned extraordinarily badass?

Fourth: Voldemort's death. Poetic, fitting, but mildly anticlimactic. I was hoping for more than one spell fire-off. Thought he'd put up more of a fight. Oh, well.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:23 pm
I have a bunch of issues with the book and series.

The wangsty Tonks/Lupin stuff and that they have a baby. Timing beyond horrid.

She spends a lot of time on Dobby's death fair enough he was an important character, but then she simply floats over Tonks, Lupin and Fred, not to mention there is not even a thought to little Teddy who is now without family.

Apperation, suddenly they can all do it and in a previous book there is mentioned a test, no such thing is even implied in book seven.

Harry's amazing multiple personality. The Child!Harry who jumps to conclusions about his ancestry based on shaky grounds. Jedi!/Sage!Harry who tries to talk sense into Voldie, both of those are innapropriate for a seventeen-year-old. A 17 year old does not say: "Oh my God Dumbledore had my father's cloak on the day they died! It must be because it's a Deathly Hallow! Then I'm a descendant of Ignotus! Can't you see that must be how it is?!"
And I can't begin to describe how woefully innappropriate I felt his speech at voldie was.

Super simplistic protection spells.

Deathstick... The amount of ROFLMAO it induced is earth shaking.

JKR's continuous use of Deus Ex Machina. Deluminator, Dobby etc.

The Locket became the One Ring... WTF!? Change the rules much!? First you say one has to open their heart to it and then it can just force your negative emotions to the surface and gets heavy.

The whole book rests on coincidents and everywhere HP and Co go it's a trap! Boring after a while.

The Uber-wand and it's line of succession, that's one spectacular wand if it can know that their owner hundreds of miles away is disarmed...
The fact that expeliarmus can fend of AK, yes I know the Uber-Wand belongs to harry and they [HP&TR] have a bond blood only, but the Uber-Wand performed just as well as Voldies old wand and the two wands in question do not have twin cores.

The Epilogue does not exist to me, I shall never read it.
So far it's a Harry/Ginny thing and I abhor that pairing like woah.

It was however not something I regret reading, and well it was ok.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 am
Yeah.. i really wish she wrapped everything up.. I'd like to know ho they handled the death of Lupin and Tonks and Fred - Fred especially! And what Harry ended up taking up as a career would have been appropriate as in one of the earlier books, they make a big deal out of it.

One other problem I had with the book was how Ginny and Harry named all their kids after other people. I know they were important to you, but there's no originality in that.

Still though, I liked the book.  

Creepy Albino Fish

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:13 pm
Goddess Hekate
I have a bunch of issues with the book and series.

The wangsty Tonks/Lupin stuff and that they have a baby. Timing beyond horrid.

She spends a lot of time on Dobby's death fair enough he was an important character, but then she simply floats over Tonks, Lupin and Fred, not to mention there is not even a thought to little Teddy who is now without family.

Apperation, suddenly they can all do it and in a previous book there is mentioned a test, no such thing is even implied in book seven.

Harry's amazing multiple personality. The Child!Harry who jumps to conclusions about his ancestry based on shaky grounds. Jedi!/Sage!Harry who tries to talk sense into Voldie, both of those are innapropriate for a seventeen-year-old. A 17 year old does not say: "Oh my God Dumbledore had my father's cloak on the day they died! It must be because it's a Deathly Hallow! Then I'm a descendant of Ignotus! Can't you see that must be how it is?!"
And I can't begin to describe how woefully innappropriate I felt his speech at voldie was.

Super simplistic protection spells.

Deathstick... The amount of ROFLMAO it induced is earth shaking.

JKR's continuous use of Deus Ex Machina. Deluminator, Dobby etc.

The Locket became the One Ring... WTF!? Change the rules much!? First you say one has to open their heart to it and then it can just force your negative emotions to the surface and gets heavy.

The whole book rests on coincidents and everywhere HP and Co go it's a trap! Boring after a while.

The Uber-wand and it's line of succession, that's one spectacular wand if it can know that their owner hundreds of miles away is disarmed...
The fact that expeliarmus can fend of AK, yes I know the Uber-Wand belongs to harry and they [HP&TR] have a bond blood only, but the Uber-Wand performed just as well as Voldies old wand and the two wands in question do not have twin cores.

The Epilogue does not exist to me, I shall never read it.
So far it's a Harry/Ginny thing and I abhor that pairing like woah.

It was however not something I regret reading, and well it was ok.

heart heart heart

I think you just summed up every beef I had with this last book! I'm a huge Potter fan, and the book hasn't changed that, but I had a lot of issues with this book. It was too neat, too rushed, and she didn't tie up anything in end. What about poor George, who has lost his twin? And you're definitely right that she didn't give as much attention to Teddy as was needed. Who looks after him? He seems to have turned out alright, but how the hell did it happen?

Anyone else notice he tendency to keep things "all in the family" so to speak? Harry-Ginny *gag*, Ron-Hermione, and then Teddy-Victoire? For all the preaching Rowling did about the needed integration of families within the wizarding world, she's certainly got a terribly closed off group surrounding the Weasleys; one of *her* predominant families always ends up with another of *her* predominant families.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:13 pm
Book 7 Spoof  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:27 am
Yeah. I'm only around halfway through it right now (haven't been reading it diligently) so I've avoided reading others posts. Mostly just want to say...

... damn this book is depressing. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:40 pm
I liked it!

Though it was horrible how Rowling killed of Hedwig right at the beginning, instead of finding a better alternative, like having her (Hedwig) get left somewhere, to return at the end of the book.  

Prostiboot

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:38 am
Overall I didn't like it as much as some of the previous books. Maybe it's just because of my age and I've read stories that follow this sort of thing before that it lost its charm. It's not that it was bad; it had its real highlight points but also some down points where the writing wasn't as good. I think the most interesting part of the whole thing was the backstories of some of the older characters, Dumbledore and Snape in particular, being finally revealed.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:32 pm
Yeah, but the worst part of all of this is that Rowling only did character death because other authors were pushing her to. (Peer pressure)  

Prostiboot

PurpleSyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:10 pm
Overall, I liked the book but, I do agree that it left many, many questions unanswered still. I do love the fact that Snape turned out to be one of the good guys really. I absolutely loved that character all the way through the series, I especially love him in the movies (Alan Rickman is fabulous), and personally, I think he's probably one of the best thought out characters in the entire series (even better than Harry for the most part). Overall, I adore the series but, yeah, she could have paid a little more attention to what happened with the deaths and who was actually raising little Teddy. And yeah.. personally, I think that some of those young loves should have ended and they should have moved on to others. It's so rare that teen romances end up being a lasting relationship. But yeah... it was good.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 pm
PurpleSyn
Overall, I liked the book but, I do agree that it left many, many questions unanswered still. I do love the fact that Snape turned out to be one of the good guys really. I absolutely loved that character all the way through the series, I especially love him in the movies (Alan Rickman is fabulous), and personally, I think he's probably one of the best thought out characters in the entire series (even better than Harry for the most part). Overall, I adore the series but, yeah, she could have paid a little more attention to what happened with the deaths and who was actually raising little Teddy. And yeah.. personally, I think that some of those young loves should have ended and they should have moved on to others. It's so rare that teen romances end up being a lasting relationship. But yeah... it was good.

i actualy started with the 4th book, then read them backwards, and never touched the first one.. sweatdrop i hated the second. xp but yeah, i watched all the movies, and i agree with you on snape. i always held faith in him throught the series, and truely loved him as a person... until the end of half blood prince. that realy shook me to the core, and i was devastated. and then i decided i will leave open the possibilty that he was doing good somehow. that is after my 3 day long hatred of him. but my best friend tay shattered that hope with her bluntness in insisting that snape was always and always will be purely evil. i prooved her wrong though. cool HAH! anyway, i actualy would say that though unrealistic, i am happy for any kind of relationships like that, that is real true love! the rest of the world should go back to that, it used to be that way, long long ago. of course, the epilogue left questions, but you know there will always be HP stuff coming along to explain it out of book! ^_^ which is why i am glad they had it in there! :happy: all in all, it did have a real power and influence, it was gripping, with millions of disapointments, and new beginnings. opens up everything, and makes a string point about death: it should not last forever, but be an instantaneous ending.  

twilight insanity

Dain Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 am
i found the whole series lacking, it has the make up (style characterizations ect) of a really good childrens bed time story,
but there were so many inconsistancies(sp?)
class scheduals dates most prominent
i read 1-7 and found a few things that i thought were interesting
ex- dunbledore(sp?) is gay, he was in love with grindwald(sp?)
according to a question and answere setion that jkr did
the fact that she even put a gay character was interesting, not something i can find easily,
i took the dissapointment and turned it into something positive though, trying my own hand at writing a magick school book
(i'm asking for as much help as i can so i don't turn out a peice of trash)
considering the fact that this is her first book seried, she did good though, she made an effort that captured the world
i'm sure that if she writes more her writing will have matured
sorry about the rant, i'm getting wordy the more i write
also
did anyone else found albus severus cute? he strikes me as adorable and little scorpius too  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff