Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cooking Experiments Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fionamule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:01 pm
Any of you fellow crafters like to take risks in the kitchen??

I do it all the time, it usually works out and is quite tasty, but sometimes......well you know.

I just made some experimental fruit cookies. MMMM.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:22 am
I'm not much of a cook, but when I do have to cook I experiment a little. Nothing too extreme--I usually make pasta, because it's easy (microwave cooking is my specially sweatdrop ), and then just play around with the spices.

I'll do the same thing with eggs, since I'm a broke college student and they're high in protein; mixing in different canned veggies, spices, cheeses.

They're edible for the most part, and sometimes even good.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:30 am
I once tried my hand at making a fruit pie (I think it was peach) from scratch.

It was pretty funny. It was the world's worst pie. The filling was WAY WAY too sweet and the crust was harder than diamonds. xd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:24 pm
I think my worst was chocolate chip cookies. It was on one of my mom's recipe cards, and she didn't tell me that there was a particular order the ingredients needed put together in.

They came out looking like burned oatmeal raisin, and my garbage disposal dogs wouldn't even go near them.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 am
I love to cook and often get rather creative so as to make a whole meal out of whats in the fridge/pantry. Last time we got snowed in, my mom hadnt done grocery shopping in weeks. We ended up having pizza with homemade sauce and like 5 different toppings. it was yummy. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:44 am
Everything I know about cooking I learned in my mother's way (she's worked as a professional chef), so I'm pretty confident in the kitchen. But the first time I'm trying something, I follow the recipe exactly. After that, I feel like I know what it does well enough to experiment- and I muck about wiht the spices, and substitute ingredients and such.
I'm also a mad-muffin-scientist. I love to experiment with different sorts of muffins. My best invention yet was whole wheat PB&J muffins.  

Blue-eyes-green

The Perilous Popsicle

6,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:41 pm
I make truffles from scratch, there was alot of experimenting to get amounts correct (though chocolate is hard to completely mess up)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:28 pm
I do quite a bit of experimentation, whenever i can get away with it. My family is picky with food, and so sometimes it can be hard to cook the way i want to though. sweatdrop But when i'm just cooking for me, i get experimenting...  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:37 am
I'm more confident when cooking than when baking so I experiment more with food. I don't follow the instructions exactly since I've learned what tastes good together and what might possibly work.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:32 pm
I had to learn to cook all I could pretty early on (like jr highish) so I am a very confidant cook, but a shakey baker. I also married a chef so I never have to worry about not being able to experiement because he loves when i do.  

Fionamule

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:53 am
My husband can look in the cabinets, pull stuff out at random, and make an absolutely delicious meal. gonk

I follow recipes, but I like interesting ones. Like the tip of adding blue-berry pie filling to blueberry muffin batter. Yum! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:02 pm
I do experiment every now and then. My lastest experiment was to cook steaks like I normally would with lemon juice. I experimented by cooking cilantro with it. YUMMY!  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

~Viva~Per~Amore~

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:42 pm
I don't experiment in the kitchen, I use recipies. Recently I ahve made an angel food cake which took a lot of whipping and a really sore arm, and today, I made divinity which was a whole lot of stirring and whipping and another sore arm.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:46 am
Blue-eyes-green
Everything I know about cooking I learned in my mother's way (she's worked as a professional chef), so I'm pretty confident in the kitchen. But the first time I'm trying something, I follow the recipe exactly. After that, I feel like I know what it does well enough to experiment- and I muck about wiht the spices, and substitute ingredients and such.
I'm also a mad-muffin-scientist. I love to experiment with different sorts of muffins. My best invention yet was whole wheat PB&J muffins.

Oooh! Share?  

AriRashkae

bookaholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:24 pm
I fiddle around with different fillings for empanadas. My current favorite included prawns, cilantro, lime, garlic, and white onion.

It also tastes good in pot stickers. 3nodding

Aside from that, I make a lot of dips from scratch, and they're actually not that high-fat, since I use yogurt cheese instead of sour cream or mayo (yogurt cheese=plain yogurt, strained through cheese cloth or coffee filters overnight).  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff