Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Just Tsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 am
The Short History of the Dead (sorry - can't remember the author's name. Deffinately a dude though XD )

1. What is the book about?
Umm... pretty much about dead people who are linked to a living woman in one way or another.

2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?
Yes and No - It's a very odd book in terms of the way it's written. Beautiful style but slightly odd plot.

3. Have you previously read anything by the author?
Nope

4. Is it a series?
Nope

5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?
Errrr... It's deffinately a memorable read though I think it would be a l o n g while before I return to it again.

6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?
Beautiful but deffinatly bizzare. Never read anything quite like it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 am
Currently, "Hocus Pocus" by Kurt Vonnegut.

my current sense of isolation, amusing in itself. i feel i can relate to this guy who's writing from a prison, in the story. i'm painting another bucket, by the way. i'm fairly sure larkin does this at some point. this is a test. this is only a test.  

archenteron

archenteron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 pm
i'm almost finished with a series called The Death Gate Cycle.
crying
only book 7 to go.
then i'll have to find something else to read.

diff dimensions, broken worlds, fascinating chars.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:45 am
I'm working on the "A Dream of Eagles" series by Jack Whyte. It's historical fiction about the fall of the Roman Empire in Britain and the rise of Camelot.  

mage_justarius

Tsundere Lana

Shy Star

10,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:12 pm
beauty pop  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:59 am
deadly doll  

Tsundere Lana

Shy Star

10,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Survivor 150

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am
i am reading the immense confusing multivolume epic Aegypt by John Crowley.

it's about having alternate histories and realities and forgetting we do and what happens then

sort of

with Shakespear, alchemy, heresy, Rosicrucians, angry gods, drugs, bdsm, epilepsy, fortune telling, writing, lying, manipulating, hopes and dreams, innocence, motels, factories, the Inquisition, the Spanish Armada, cults, miracles, demon possession, materialism, the Invisible College, hillbillies, out of body experiences, car wrecks, obsession, and true love.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:17 am
Currently reading A Clash of Kings (the second novel in the A Song of Ice & Fire series)
Plot (wikipedia): Set in the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos, A Song of Ice and Fire follows three principal storylines, divided by geography and participants, struggling to claim the Iron Throne and rule all the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros after the fall of the ruling House Targaryen and the death of King Robert.
YES I'M LOVING THEM!
No
Yes, I first watched the show then started on the books.
YES YES YES!! Because I think they're a FANTASTIC series!
No, I'm fine with the writing style.

IDEK92

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:11 am
I'm about to finish Myths of the Norsemen by HA Guerber. Title is self-explanatory.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 am
Ping of Death
I'm about to finish Myths of the Norsemen by HA Guerber. Title is self-explanatory.

mythology is fascinating.

i love reading about Celtic myth, but it seems my authors never agree with each other about exactly what those myths and deities and heroes were or what they did.

i could have expressed that better. anyway, the writing i use to enlighten me about these myths seems more like speculation than fact.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 am
beaulolais
Ping of Death

i love reading about Celtic myth, but it seems my authors never agree with each other about exactly what those myths and deities and heroes were or what they did.

i could have expressed that better. anyway, the writing i use to enlighten me about these myths seems more like speculation than fact.
Most myths have that problem especially if very few writings exist. Norse myths for example have only one legit source and that is the Eddas.

Most writers can only speculate at best what those myths mean unless the tribe where it originated still exists.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:52 am
Ping of Death
beaulolais
Ping of Death

Most myths have that problem especially if very few writings exist. Norse myths for example have only one legit source and that is the Eddas.

Most writers can only speculate at best what those myths mean unless the tribe where it originated still exists.

yep, and please correcct me if i am wrong, but were not most people back then illiterate?
so they had to hand down these things by word of mouth?

and then when somebody did come along to write the stories down that somebody was usually a Christian monk or something who might not be too objective ... although i do like the early Celtic Christians, before Patric.Padraig.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 am
beaulolais
Ping of Death
beaulolais
Ping of Death

yep, and please correcct me if i am wrong, but were not most people back then illiterate?
so they had to hand down these things by word of mouth?

and then when somebody did come along to write the stories down that somebody was usually a Christian monk or something who might not be too objective ... although i do like the early Celtic Christians, before Patric.Padraig.
They weren't necessary illiterate but they haven't developed a writing system yet. And if they did have a writing system, some societies limit the knowledge only within the priestly castes and scribes.Which isn't unusual for tribes that travel from one place to another and is mostly engaged in warfare.

Some Christian monks were credible sources but yes, some were not. But we still owe them the survival of most of the classic literature we have.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 am
Snuff- Terry Pratchett
1. The book is about His Grace, Commander, and Blackboard Monitor Samuel Vimes. (Who reallly hates all that title carp.) A higher power has dictated that it would be good for him and his son to go on a vacation to the peaceful countryside and there is nothing he can do but to obey her. The countryside however may not be as peaceful as people say and where Sam Vimes goes, he finds crime...
2. I loved it. I read it in an afternoon and laughed myself silly.
3. Yes
4. It kind of is part of a series but you could read it on it's own
5 Yes, it's clever, witty, and a surprisingly good satire of politics, people, and everything to do with them. It also has extremely complicated chickens.
6. nope.

I also had been reading Across the Great Barrier, The Help and some other stuff.  

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm
is Pratchett still writing?

i'm so happy!  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10