Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Salutations, Greetings and Introductions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eurykleia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:02 am
Hello, I'm Nienke (15) and I'm from the Netherlands. Don't get me started about the Netherlands though, I'm rather a patriot *whistles innocently* I like making websites and graphics, chatting on MSN and Gaia, reading and learning languages.

The reason I joined this guild is because I love speaking and learning English, and to be honest, the general Gaia forums aren't a very good place for that. I hope to learn some more about English grammar in this forum 3nodding

Thanks for accepting my application, and I hope to get to know you all! biggrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 am
Hello there. I am Ghurdrich. (Not my real name, Which is Matt.) I pride myself on using large words to explain my strong viewpoints (of which I have many). I am 15, turning sixteen in May, and I enjoy being on the computer most of the day, unless urged to do something by an outside force. I live in Oshawa, Ontario, and for those of you who don't know, that is somewhere in the bowels of Canada, about an hour away from Toronto, if it helps. I would enjoy talking to some intelligent people here, so any or all of you are free to PM me. I very much enjoy RPing; I am Anti-demon however. If there is one thing I do not like, it is people who think that every RP is a branch of Inu Yasha. Not everything revolves around demons.

Be warned, however, I will not be held responsible if my views offend someone. I apologize if anything I have said, or might say in the future insults someone; Be sure that it is unintentional. That said, I eagerly await finally talking to some intelligent people on Gaia.
( That means you can piece together a sentence, using words and not numbers ((Unless of course you are referring to actual numbers)) )  

Ghurdrich

Viral Reverie

Proxy Millionaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:40 pm
Hello, my name is Amanda. I'm fifteen years old, and I'm from the US. Well anyway, I love to draw and sketch. I play soccer, volleyball, and I swim. I live close to the ocean. I enjoy RPing. I also play maaaaany video and computer games. sweatdrop I joined because.. I can't seem to find ANYONE who doesn't use chat speak.. So I came here. I'm very happy with what I see. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:14 am
Hi, why didn't anyone post anything in this thread for a while? Whatever, I'm 12, love proper grammer, and kinda, shy.I love Sakura  

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

slightlyfoxed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:06 pm
Greetings, all. I'm Slightly Foxed, a name that is a play on books ("foxed" is what happens when paper ages, yellows, and gets a little fuzzy). I'm a public librarian deep in the heart of Texas (but originally from California). In another lifetime, I was an English teacher, as well as a failed medieval literature scholar and theatre geek.

The result of the above is that I tend to be well-read, dramatic, geeky, imaginative, pro-teen, and anti-censorship.

It appears that I am the Elder Statesman of sorts, being 35. Just please don't call me "ma'am." biggrin

I've also been happily married 9 years, no kids yet, 1 dog, 3 cats, and craft like a fiend.

Remember to be nice to your librarian--she's the one who know where to find the answers. blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:08 pm
I'm Sgt. Luigi. I'm a literate person, but not a person who describes getting up in 2 pages (Like some people I know.)

I know alot about nooblets and their language (The Noob Hunter Files), and I am proud to help translate them, from "l337" to "txt tlk."  

Sgt Luigi

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:32 am
<[I heart you, you hate me... we're a happy family...]>

Hey everyone... I'm just a dominant 14 year old who is still trying to grasp the concept of life xD. Anime, manga... a few Japanese songs are my current interests. Oh and of course, literacy is always prioritised on my list.

<[I... I'm hyperactive heart User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]>

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:28 pm
Hello, I just found my, "You have been accepted!" PM.
So, yes. Happifulness.
I do promote grammar and spelling, but I don't really see anything wrong with a little text-slang if used in the right context (save it for IMs, not school!), and actually like 1337 (gasp!). I only start to frown upon it when it adheres to the individual's regular speech patterns and actually makes them less intelligent-- well, when it comes to reading, writing, and speaking in general, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, they know it makes them look stupid, it's a free internet, and they can present themselves in any manner they please.

Sorry, I have a tendancy to ramble.. sweatdrop
So, how are all of you?  

Cocoon Master

not_in_use_delete

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:56 pm
Hello, I am new to this guide. I was quite happy to recieve the pm that said I had offically joined. I am very literate and enjoy good books. Go Grammer!!!  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:59 am
Fally from England 17 (actually female, no, not a homosexual, though I'm no homophobe either) - proud musician, comic drawer and comical person.  

Falzar Askura

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:12 am
Shinobi 1977
i_heart_ron

My pet peeves include:
* "supposably"
* "on accident"
* any usage of the word "unique" when paired with a superlative or comparative.
* dangling prepositions
* misuse of "literally" (mostly because I very often am guilty of this)
* confusion of "infer"and "imply"

"Supposedly" was the correct word, last time I checked.
"By accident."
I'm afraid you lost me on the "unique" one. What are superlatives and comparatives?
What's a dangling preposition?
I'm probably guilty of misusing "literally" too. "He literally jumped 20 feet into the air!"
What's the difference between "infer" and imply"?

Ah, yes. I can answer one of these questions. To imply is to convey a message with a meaning to it. Say: I believe that the US-Mexico border should be shut down.- I am implying that illegals should not flood the US.

When I say: I do not like illegal immigrants, you can infer that I am prejudiced.

THe speaker (or writer) implies. The person spoken to (or the reader) infers the speaker's (or writer's) meaning.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:49 am
Hi, I'm Ryan and I'm not that good at introductions...

>.>

RyanTheBoot

Jocelyn Lavale

Beloved Vampire

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:56 pm
Hey I've been part of this guild for a few weeks now I just havn't really had a chance to introduce my self. And theres a lot to say about me so this could be a long post hehe....

Well, my name is Jocelyn Lavale aka Jossi (on gaia that is. My real name is Tamara... call me tammy and i will gut you like a fish ^^) I'm 16 In gr 11, currently finishing my french 30. I have about a million interests and I'm a very complicated person. My weakness..... chocolate, and an amazing literate roleplay. >< I've participated in about a dozen different sports. I love to swim, and lets see.... gr 3-7 crosscountry running until my knee gave out, gr 7 cheerleading... yes.. I was totally preppy, gr 8 I was inthe Edmonton School of Ballet, I danced at least 4 hours a day.. more on certain days. In gr 9 I joined my brothers taekwando academy, and stayed with it as well as rock climbing with my schools team until I ingured my back in gr 10. I climbed on the sr team and took first in my group at the rip and grip bouldering competition at vertically inclined rock gym. I then had to give that up because of my back and even though I wanted to join dance again I couldn't for the same reasons. So after the rest of the school year and a summer off I got back into sports. I joined my schools Sr high Jr Varsity Volley Ball team. And we took second in cities. not bad for a first year team.. Our school has never had one before. Were pretty new. Old highschool different program. anyways...I had been and still am playing out side school so Volleyball is my favorite sport ever....>.>...... and dont tell any one... but spandex is the most comfortable thing in the world.

SO what else about me?.. I'm in cadets. I'm a sergeant and lovin it. Thats also where I play volley ball every saturday. I was on the zones team last year and this year.. I was co-captain this year. I have also been on my squadron's drill team last year and this year. This year I was comander and we kicked a**... The comander has to call all of the comands for the entire compulsary sequence, so I had to do all the work. lol. We've taken first both years and we swept last year when i took top uniform. So that was awesome. I have a job now for the first time in my life. I work at staples. Its fun.... anyways...

Hmmm now what else about me.... I love anime and manga. I also draw manga and amimals, and furies if you want to call them that. (half people and half animal) I could do avi art.. only I wont because its over used. I draw when i'm bored. I'm making a comic right now based of a story one of my friends is writting, I'm her editor. I write the good draft and then our other friend is my editor and she rewrites the parts of mine that need work, then it gets planned out in frames and I do the main artwork, carson (my editor) helps with minor details (shes the one who taught me how to draw animals and animal related beings.) Its alot of fun...

I think if I had to choose a favorite anime or manga.. I couldn't. I love them all equally. I like Naruto, Inuyasha, Hikaru No Go, DB and DBZ(and GT), Eye sheild 21, and lets not forget FMA, uh....*thinks*I used to follow Yu Gi Oh.. but not any more... dont really care.. it got sappy. //.hack sign is pretty good. But i dont really watch that often. One peice is probably the lamest manga/anime ever created. Love Hina is amazing, DIGI Charat Is good too, funny. And I've only followed Chobbits a little.. havn't had a chance to read them, though I do love the look and as lame as it may be.. I was a salior moon fan many moons ago... the origional was good....I once read a random sneak peak anime in my shonen jusmp for shits and giggles and almsot cried at the sheer noobness of it .. though I must admit... it was extremely funny just inits stupidity.Its called Bo Bo Bo Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo, about a guy with an afro, named the same as the title, fighting against the bald nation who is going around terrorising the streets by scalping people for almost no apparent reason. His main weapon, besides his unique martial arts style, is his... wait for it.... prehensile nose hair, that are used as whips and for ensnaring his enimies....I have never opened that shonen jump issue just for the fact that I might have to set eyes on the worst manga ever writen (besides one peice that is... I appologise to those here that actually like one peice) I'm sure there are others but I cant think of them at the moment.. I'll tadd them later when i remember, like right now I just remembered how much I loved Vision Of Escaflowne. any ways.. i'm looking back right now and realising that this is really long so I'll hurry and finish.

I love music, I play the guitar, have since gr 4 though I'm not very good.. I keep going months without picking it up and my brother just recently broke one of the strings so now I cant play it until he replaces it. I also play the drums, snare and base (not kit) I want to learn to play the flute or the clarinet. I like to ski when I get the chance. I love horses and riding. My Ant and Uncke own a farm and i get to ride whenever I go out to see them. When I'm not working in the summer I'm biking in the river valley not far from my house. I used to live closer untill we moved but its not bad. I'm in all three sciences (chem , bio, physics) I'm aiming for a metriculated deploma. I love to read, anything and everything. I started reading Lord of The Rings in gr 4. I've had a university reading level since gr 5. finished my grade 7 math and started into gr 8 before I finished gr 6. Then later near the end of jr high, I lost interest and didn't pay attention. I'm paying for it now. I love to write. Stories, poetry, you name it. Essays not so much though lol.

The only thing I love more than everything listed in this post, is my friends. They mean the world to me, in RL and on gaia...

So, ya thats me, and my spectacularly long post. I dare some one to top it lol just kidding. And I must appologise for the slipping into slight txt tlk here and there, but this took me along time to write because I was swamped with rps and other stuff. I can honestly say i wasnt thinking quite straight. So I hope for some feed back on this.
Thankyou and good night.
*bows out*

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:13 pm
Hi. I'm Tregatry. You're welcome to call me that, or Jack, or Pixy, or any number of things. I'll respond to just about anything, really.

Um...yeah...I read, write, draw, and watch movies like nobody's business when I have the time or energy, which doesn't seem to be often.

I'm 17, and prefer to be genderless.

My main interests include animation and performing arts, as well as an increasing interest in piracy which has been going on for at least 11 years now...I think. (My favorite pirate book: Captain Blood (Also a wondrous movie))

I take no shame in making up words. Shakespeare did it, why can't I? I think this is also partly because I work at the Renaissance Faire during the spring, and they do encourage us to make up a word if we can't think of anything else.

Anyway, I can't think of too much to say here, but I'm pretty open and happy to debate/get along with just about anyone.  

Tregatry.

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:29 pm
The youngest person on Gaia that I know is a fourth grader who hardly ever goes on. >_>
All the same, being 11 makes me feel like I'm a baby compared to most of the older beings on Gaia, no offense if you don't like that term. sweatdrop

Hi! I'm Chrys or Chrystie, and female, if you can tell by my avatar. =3
I like many animes and mangas, and some of my favorites are Inuyasha, FMA, Fruits Basket, Zatch Bell, and Case Closed/Detective Conan
I'm semi-literate to literate when I type and write, and spelling is a breeze for me. I read too much, so I rarely meet words that I don't know the meaning of or can't figure out. As for grammar, I find a few mistakes, and I don't know a preposition from a new position, but I read enough to not need to know too much.
Just so you know, since most people get confused: One of my main RP characters is named Crystellia, or Chrys or Chrystie for short. She looks almost identical to my avatar, and is basically me in her position, although I sometimes react differently from her. But "Chrys" refers to both me and my character, so don't get too confused when I'm talking about her. Chrys doesn't usually talk about herself in third person. whee  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff