Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
USE OF THE WORD WICCA Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm
Morgandria
Esiris

Quote:
For example, my own HPs will sometimes say to me that she's teaching me the Gardnerian method of something, and comment that there's a twist or small difference in the Alexandrian manner of that thing. But since I do not have the Alexandrian initiation, she doesn't elaborate and break her oaths.

This confuses me too- I thought it was okay to share stuff with people who are Wiccan.

I know I don't know much of anything about Wicca- but does it have to be so painfully obvious. I like thinking about this stuff- and my HPS seems to get a kick out of watching my head spin. It reminds me of how school teachers smile at kids on the playground. whee

Thanks for your time Morg. heart

Being an initiate of a particular tradition really only gives you access to that particular tradition's materials. I would still be treated with courtesy by initiates of another BTW tradition, and I would extend the same back to others - but that's just being polite. It doesn't entitle me to access any of that tradition's teachings or materials, or they ours. I could be wrong, but this has been my experience and understanding of things.

It's also one of the reasons it's very hard to say what the differences are between the various BTW branches - you need to be an initiate to experience them, and collecting initiations is generally not encouraged or looked well upon.

So then- how does say, an Alexandrian guest with a Gardnerian coven? My HPS touched on this a little bit- and I think I'll ask her more about it when I see her next, but have you had experiences you can share?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:53 pm
Esiris
I was wondering if it was oathbreaking because some Protean claim to be Wiccan, but people said they changed the core.

This might be helpful... Protean Witchcraft: some history of our lineage  

ncsweet
Crew

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Esiris

So then- how does say, an Alexandrian guest with a Gardnerian coven? My HPS touched on this a little bit- and I think I'll ask her more about it when I see her next, but have you had experiences you can share?

Wish I could answer this one...but I can't. I don't honestly know - we've never had Lexies guest with us while I've been a member. We've had other Gards, though, from a different lineage than ours. But that time we also had students and other non-initiates around, so we were in full outer-court mode. I've never been around as an initiate, with initiates from other covens or traditions, for initiates-only ritual.

I might never, to be honest - there's not that many covens in Ontario, and we're pretty spread out.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm
ncsweet
Esiris
I was wondering if it was oathbreaking because some Protean claim to be Wiccan, but people said they changed the core.

I've read that- and some stuff from Protean initiates who left the tradition.

I know people still disagree about it- it sounds like some of the stuff I read about how Alexandrians squabbled with Gardnerians back in the day. I guess I just don't understand since some people say that Protean isn't Wicca because they changed it.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:00 pm
Morgandria

Wish I could answer this one...but I can't. I don't honestly know - we've never had Lexies guest with us while I've been a member. We've had other Gards, though, from a different lineage than ours. But that time we also had students and other non-initiates around, so we were in full outer-court mode. I've never been around as an initiate, with initiates from other covens or traditions, for initiates-only ritual.

I might never, to be honest - there's not that many covens in Ontario, and we're pretty spread out.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Is it something you'd ever consider doing yourself? Guesting with another coven?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 am
Esiris

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Is it something you'd ever consider doing yourself? Guesting with another coven?

If I were invited to by another coven, I would - but I would also have to have my High Priestess' permission to do so. It hasn't really come up.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:57 pm
Esiris
ncsweet
Esiris

I've read that- and some stuff from Protean initiates who left the tradition.

I know people still disagree about it- it sounds like some of the stuff I read about how Alexandrians squabbled with Gardnerians back in the day. I guess I just don't understand since some people say that Protean isn't Wicca because they changed it.

I think most "Protean" covens are no longer BTW, however there are individual Proteans who retain lineage, and who have the ability to pass lineage if they choose (and if they pass the core unchanged - differentiating between what is Protean and Gard).  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 am
Like you said in the first post, about Llewellyn, they call it "Wicca", but those books are still really useful for any beginner on the path. It may be mis-titled - but it is still extremely helpful, I'm sure.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Like you said in the first post, about Llewellyn, they call it "Wicca", but those books are still really useful for any beginner on the path. It may be mis-titled - but it is still extremely helpful, I'm sure.

It can be- but it can hurt a Seeker on their path too, if they're seeking Wicca.
Those books can be a good starting place for pagans- but a lot of times people get so hung up on what an author says that they close themselves off to other things.

I think I saw Morg talking about this- and I've seen it in Vodou too. The books you find- they're all beginner stuff for the most part. If that's where people are happy- then that's important too. But a lot of people think that author so and so is the end all be all of magic, and once that gets stuck in their head- their ability to really look for their path gets harder because they're working with too many assumptions and not enough experience.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

It can be- but it can hurt a Seeker on their path too, if they're seeking Wicca.
Those books can be a good starting place for pagans- but a lot of times people get so hung up on what an author says that they close themselves off to other things.

I think I saw Morg talking about this- and I've seen it in Vodou too. The books you find- they're all beginner stuff for the most part. If that's where people are happy- then that's important too. But a lot of people think that author so and so is the end all be all of magic, and once that gets stuck in their head- their ability to really look for their path gets harder because they're working with too many assumptions and not enough experience.

Yes. But for people underage of 16 and 18, then it's a good source for a starting point.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

dlhundley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:14 pm
I was told to introduce myself here, so anyways, I am primarily a hedge witch, but I occasionally do a different variety of spell. I don't know much, as I am still a beginner, but I will do what I can to help people.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 am
dlhundley
I was told to introduce myself here, so anyways, I am primarily a hedge witch, but I occasionally do a different variety of spell. I don't know much, as I am still a beginner, but I will do what I can to help people.

Welcome to the guild - the actual intro thread is here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=12213043

I'm not sure what hedgewitchery or spells have to do with Wicca. Can you explain why you posted here?  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Yes. But for people underage of 16 and 18, then it's a good source for a starting point.
Only if you're flexible enough to know how to let it go.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm
Thank You so much for this Thread! It really helped me to learn a lot, and to see the mistakes people have made in thinking what it means to be Wiccan, as well as cleared up my view. I see now the steps I need to take, and the hard work that goes into it. It is like every concept of a religion. It is based on belief, but also the surrounding of others who believe the same. But so much more then that, it is oathbound, something that can only be shared with certain people, and no one person can do it alone.
This is a very deep, intimate religion, one that I look forward to becoming a part of. However, I know I have a lot of work to do, and a lot to learn.  

Goddess Aidos

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm
This is quite informative.

I'm actually embarrassed; not too long ago, I was under the delusion that I was Wiccan.

Since realizing I'm not, I feel better than I originally thought I would. It would be a discredit to both actual Wiccans and myself to continue under that falsehood.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games