Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Rate the Person's Video Game Composition Above You! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kefkadragon

Learned Protagonist

31,625 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Deal Me In 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm
It's ok but get monotonous after a while with the Japanese guitar riff. Never heard of the game. This does sound like a sort of port song though.
Deep in the Ruins from okamiden. (mobile version)
Edit: sorry I spaced the composer and rating
Last song 2.9/5 song in my post was composed by Rei kondoh (I have got to get on my regular computer more often)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm
I felt as though the piece was slow moving, although that itself is not a bad thing, the melody was really the only thing moving, everything else was just coming along for the ride. I found the constant change of keys to be interesting, and the constant alteration of the main melody. The arbitrary percussion sounds and constantly changing melodies made it really hard to follow though.

6.5/10- although it did have an interesting selection of instruments, the harmony remained stagnant when the composer could have done something about it, and was a bit confusing to follow as a musician lover to a certain extent.

I just want to remind you, that you MUST (hence, "Rate") leave a number to the piece you're rating, as well as do research (i.e- .5 seconds Googling) to the composer of the piece. It's just a respectful thing to do, citing your sources in an essay sort of speak. :]

Also, I went ahead and edited in the mainstream Youtube version, as Mobile Youtube links don't work on computers.

Clock Town Day 3 from Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask by Koji Kondo  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:51 am
Eh I can't say I exactly liked this one. It was a bit of a sped up version of Clock Town Day 1 to me. It's just not my favorite piece to me since things seemed rushed to me. Of course it fits with the atmosphere of the game at that point of time. You only have so much time left before you gotta get ready for the final battle or the world ends. I'll give it a 7/10

This was something I just found because it was on my recommended videos. Eternal Sonata Leap the Precipice by Motoi Sakuraba  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm
Correction: The title of the song is Leap the Precipice. The game itself is Eternal Sonata.

As for the song itself, it's very Sakuraba-ish. Like... there are songs that you can recognize just listening to it within the first couple of seconds and know who the composer is, just because they have a unique style of composing. Kinda like how a lot of people can recognize Yuki Kajiura's works after just listening to just a bit of a song. This just screams Sakuaba. 8/10.

... You know, I am very surprised this never got put up. XD

Gerudo Valley from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, by Koji Kondo.

I'll be hitting up a couple of familiar classics before I go back into the depths of unknown video game music.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:37 pm
The synth in Ocarina of Time has held up pretty well over time, in my opinion. Like a lot of things in the game, it does show age, but it still works so well that it's not a problem. The electronic trumpet might sound out of place in many other songs that came out at the time, but here, it is in such a fun song with such a toe-tapping beat that I just don't care. The percussion and guitar sound good too. It's a simple yet fun song that also adds a lot to the area it plays in. There's no way this can play anywhere else other than a desert. The guitars and trumpet work towards that. It feels bright and hot. With open spaces. I'd give it a 9/10. For like I said, while it does show age, it works just as well as it did. Also, I love the song.

Wagon Wheel's March- Dragon Quest IV (DS version) by Koichi Sugiyama.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:04 pm
I don't want to work on my essays any more, or read, so I'll just hide here for a bit. cool

The thing I LOVE about Sugiyama is he doesn't piss around with titles. When he says the piece is going to be a march, it's going to be a march, when it's going to be a rondo, you better believe it's going to be a rondo. This is a perfect piece portraying of what he says it's going to be: a march.
Although I do love Sugiyama with all my heart, I felt the brass in DQIV had a hollow sound to it, which is unfortunate, seeing as there is so much to be filled in this piece. However, Sugiyama does capture dynamics in this piece, which is a dying trait in the video game, seeing as most game music tend to stick to a single dynamic and don't touch the knob after that. I did love the woodwinds in this piece, especially the ascending and descending flute line featured later on, which gave the feeling of going to something overwhelming large.
8/10, although the quality of the instruments could have been better I felt, the feeling one gets from listening to this composition fits the title 100%.

And Nom, you didn't comment on the scary bass line in Day 3 Clocktown I was hoping that you would, that's what I like Day 3 more than Day 1. sad

While were on the concept of N64:

Tubba Blubba from Paper Mario by to my surprise: Yuka Tsujiyoko!  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm
Haha, it's the invincible, Boo-eating Tubba Blubba from Paper Mario. I like how it retains some of the Boo's Mansion theme in the same game though more sped up. As for fighting this guy... haaaaaa.

Not gonna lie, he was an interesting character with a fun, upbeat battle song when he's kicking your a** being invincible. Running from him was pretty suspenseful too. XD

9/10

... Ahem. Here's another classic game. 3nodding
Rainbow Cloud from Pokemon Snap, by Ikuko Mimori  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm
You know I never played Pokemon Snap so I don't know what to say about it, it's still a good song a nice soft melody of the 64 days. 7/10

And now for something form the next gen after the 64.
Finish The Promise Tales of The Abyss, by: Motoo Fujiwara  

Tayu Yuu

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm
The use of trumpets in this song is a nice touch to it. I may be biased because of the fact I played trumpet, but I was liking that. It made it more forceful to me. The piano/synthesizer in the background through the song caught my attention, but soon grew a little repetitive to me. But overall I liked the flow of this song. The instruments balanced with each other from the timpanis to the trumpets and the other wind instruments. Well done 9/10

Donkey Kong 64 DK Rap by Grant Kirkhope and Eveline Fischer  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Ah, it's the DK Rap. XD

The animation that went with this was really comical. It's a shame you didn't get that video up. This is one of the few rap songs I actually enjoy, even though I don't think this can actually be considered a rap song. The game itself is pretty good too. Struggled at one point because I didn't realize you could use the camera to take pictures underwater, but I managed to 100% the game. 8D

9/10

Gonna take a brief pause in class stuff to put this song up. Still Alive from Mirror's Edge, sung by Swedish singer Lisa Miskovsky.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:07 pm
Reminded me a little of a t.A.T.u meets modern sound quality piece. ;P

What I loved about this piece was how masterful the sound quality was, it was very much something that one could hear on a radio station, but it was different from a generic radio song in that the singer had quality in her voice, opposed to those other singers on the radio. Having worked retail for awhile, I can tell quality in pop singers, there are some really good ones, like this woman, and the others, who will go unnamed. Her quality came from the beautiful harmony her and the backup singer had, most pop singers usually go solo, without harmony, so when there are true backup singers, opposed to just singing the exact same notes at the exact same pitch as the main singer, it's usually beautiful.

For the instruments, I LOVED the drum line, it was powerful, strong and very much so reminiscent to a typical Cranberries drum line, which is a band that I quite love. I thought the strings were a bit too predictable, in particular the pizzicato line, and there was a piano line that resurfaced a whole lot, but that was all that this piece had against it. 8.95/10

V: I want this piece played if I ever go on hiatus on FEF and I still happen to be Ishtar.

Return of Ishtar from Namco X Capcom originally by Junko Ozawa.

The original 8bit version is like 10 minutes long, this remake of course is an excerpt of it, playing only the climax of the piece.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:06 pm
Namco X Capcom. It's a mashup of characters from the Namco and Capcom games into one. For a moment, I thought that read as Namco versus Capcom. Seems like there's a lot of fighting games out there fighting against Capcom. I wonder if the company heads decided that this is the best way to resolve their squabbles.

... Now I am imagining a future game from them titled 'Everyone versus Capcom: What the Hell Were We Thinking?'

As for the song itself, it's pretty interesting. It's pretty repetitive, but not at all that bad. Nice work on the brass pumping out some life into the song. 8/10

Requiem from Zoku: Satsuriku no Django, an eroge visual novel. I have little to no information on this game aside from this and that it's focused in a Wild West sorta story.

Requiem. Same visual novel. Different link.

The Lolwut Pear

Quoting Hassan to let him know it's changed.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm
I am really sorry for the delay, Roy, my internet is being hilariously slow for various reasons and often failing to load Youtube videos.

Now that I have my usual Thursday break from university, and Youtube is at least being decent (in the most liberal way of possibly saying that), I will rate.

The beginning chord at the beginning of the piece was really cool sounding, and just cool in general to me. It brought a divine feeling, but from the title "Requiem", I of course felt an element of sadness to it. Being a requiem, no doubt there were strings played in an adagio pace, but I thought the death bells were a welcome innovation to the genre, they're an underrated percussion instrument you know!

Anyway, I thought the requiem component of the piece was cool, albeit short, the strings were a bit predictable, but did the job of carrying out dissonance nonetheless. 8/10

The second half is another genre, so I will rate that separately. As you probably know by now, I am a big sucker for Hispanic sounding acoustics. The second half I feel is a great acoustics part, the woman has great emotion in her voice as well as the instruments amplify her emotions with well placed dynamics. Overall, a very solid and great part in the piece, even if the strings just carried on over from the requiem with no new content, 9.5/10

9.5 + 8 = 17.5 / 2= 8.75/10

(hopefully. my math is right, it's been awhile since I last worked with normal numbers versus hex and stuff) sweatdrop

Challenge from Breath of Fire by Yasuaki Fujita  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:32 pm
S' been a bit. But snow days and active thoughts allow me to post things here and there, so here we go!

This is a fun battle theme. The fast paced tempo gets me going, and I really like that short intro, which sounds like a map-to-battle transition. I like that the intro feels a fair bit different from the rest of the song, but not too much that it feels dissonant. The fact that the base melody in the intro has more space between notes is what makes it. That and the two accented notes followed by the brief rest. The rest of the song has some good synth instruments going for it. In particular, I really like the climbing brass bit towards the end of it, and the strings are nice too. However, I sometimes feel like the bass melody is a bit too loud and overcomes the rest of the song. And the beat, while it keep the song going at a good place, is pretty typical and a bit repetitive, though of course it isn't all on the same note which helps. Overall, I'd give it an 7/10. Not mind-blowing, but certainly quite good.

Humoresque of a Little Dog- Super Smash Bros Brawl version, originated in Mother, by Masato Kouda  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:41 pm
-brings some life back into this thread-

For the song... it's very comical. I'm reminded of those little chase scenes you always see in Scooby Doo where everyone's in a hall of doors and everyone's coming out one door and out another and it just gets all crazy at the end. But yeah, this is a really lighthearted song. You can expect some silly shenanigans coming from this. 8.5/10

Pulling another western-esque song from Zoku: Satsuriku no Django, I give you Cold Metal. I do not know the composer, unfortunately. ZIZZ Studio, maybe?  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff