Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:52 am
Gothic Alice
1.) Okay.. so I have a block of black knitted material finished... how do I intigrate another color of yarn in to the project?

I'm assuming you mean to put a picture or something on the block? If so, you want "duplicate stitch"ing. http://www.anniesattic.com/knitting/content.html?content_id=151

If you want to attach another color and knit more and your block is bound off, you'll need to pick up stitches.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (scroll down)

Those links help? *grin*  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm
Catcheen
Gothic Alice
1.) Okay.. so I have a block of black knitted material finished... how do I intigrate another color of yarn in to the project?

I'm assuming you mean to put a picture or something on the block? If so, you want "duplicate stitch"ing. http://www.anniesattic.com/knitting/content.html?content_id=151

If you want to attach another color and knit more and your block is bound off, you'll need to pick up stitches.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php (scroll down)

Those links help? *grin*

eek You are like my god of knitting.. I was on that "Knitting Help" website till 7 am last night! (my mom got kinda angry since the computers in her bedroom.. sweatdrop )Thats the reason the other two questions were marked off.. I found them on the site.I praise you.... exclaim biggrin  

Gothic Alice

x_dreamweaver_x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:56 pm
Gothic Alice, are you dissing Knitting Help? crying I'm part of that forum, so just call me a KH fangirl mrgreen

Anywho, I've got a question!

I've done lots of stuff in kitting, and am currently trying to get lace. I've seen two different kinds of yarn overs: one where you just place the yarn in the wrong direction of the stich (ex. yarn in the front while doing the knit stich) and where you wrap the yarn around the needle in between stiches to make an extera stich. Which one's a yarn over and which one is... not a yarn over sweatdrop Sorry if it makes no sence!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:22 am
x_dreamweaver_x
I've done lots of stuff in kitting, and am currently trying to get lace. I've seen two different kinds of yarn overs: one where you just place the yarn in the wrong direction of the stich (ex. yarn in the front while doing the knit stich) and where you wrap the yarn around the needle in between stiches to make an extera stich. Which one's a yarn over and which one is... not a yarn over sweatdrop Sorry if it makes no sence!

I used to have the same problem. My lace looked like poo for the longest time. When you're knitting lace and doing a knit stitch next, you want to just place the yarn in front. When it naturally goes over your needle as you knit, that creates your yarn over. (So when the pattern says something like K1, YO, K1, mearly placing the yarn in front counts as that YO) When your next stitch is a purl, that's when you want to wrap the yarn all the way around the needle and end up with it in the front again. Wrapping it around manually like that creates your yarn over in that case.

Did that all come out correctly? I worry about explaining things in text. *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:12 pm
is it possible to knit a miniskirt using circular needles? I want to make one for an anime convention i'm going to this year...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:54 pm
x_dreamweaver_x
Gothic Alice, are you dissing Knitting Help? crying I'm part of that forum, so just call me a KH fangirl mrgreen

Anywho, I've got a question!

If I was on the site till 7am... I'm pretty sure I wasn't dissing it O.o;;  

Gothic Alice

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:30 pm
Kanae Shin
is it possible to knit a miniskirt using circular needles? I want to make one for an anime convention i'm going to this year...

Yes, it is possible.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:33 pm
how would you substitute a medium weight (worsted) yarn for super bulky, and how would you calculate the yardage you need to substitute?  

Maki Minakoaino

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:08 pm
Maki Minakoaino
how would you substitute a medium weight (worsted) yarn for super bulky, and how would you calculate the yardage you need to substitute?

There's a few ways to substitute yarn. You could probably put 3 or 4 strands of worsted weight together and get the same guage as a super bulky, so that's one way. To calculate the yardage for that, you'd just multiply how much super bulky you need by 3 (or 4). This is the route I'd go.

You can use MUCH larger needles until you get the right guage. This will make the fabric really loose and holey. It's also really tricky to get guage. You might get stitch guage, but likely row guage would be off by a lot, meaning you'd need to knit more rows. Calculating yardage would be pure guessing. I'd go for twice as much as the super bulky to be safe.

The third way is to re-calculate the whole pattern and adjust the needles and amount of stitches to the worsted weight size. To give you more details, I'd need a glimpse of the pattern you're using. More or less, you'd just use the pattern as a guideline, get guage with worsted, find how many inches every bit of the pattern is supposed to be and knit what you need to with the worsted. For example, if you cast on 10 in super bulky to make something 5 inches wide, find out how many stitches per inch you get with worsted. Say you get 5 stitches per inch with worsted. To get 5 inches of fabric, you'll need to multiply 5 stitches per inch by 5 inches to cast on 25 stitches. I'm sure there's a nice complicated way to figure out yardage for something like this, but I certainly don't know it. I'd just make sure I had lots and lots of yarn and a way to get more of the same dye lot if I needed to. *grin*

I hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:33 am
I wanted to make a Knit Capelet but with this yarn in wine. I only have 2 skeins, though, and I haven't been able to find any more.

I guess a different pattern for a knit capelet would work, but i haven't been able to find one that uses medium weight yarn  

Maki Minakoaino

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Maki Minakoaino
I wanted to make a Knit Capelet but with this yarn in wine. I only have 2 skeins, though, and I haven't been able to find any more.

I guess a different pattern for a knit capelet would work, but i haven't been able to find one that uses medium weight yarn

You might be able to get a close guage by doubling the worsted yarn. Depending on that guage, you could go up or down a needle size to fine tune. Since it's a capelet, you probably won't notice if it's just a little looser or a stitch than the original. If you're using the worsted doubled, you may just have enough yarn.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Catcheen
Maki Minakoaino

You might be able to get a close guage by doubling the worsted yarn. Depending on that guage, you could go up or down a needle size to fine tune. Since it's a capelet, you probably won't notice if it's just a little looser or a stitch than the original. If you're using the worsted doubled, you may just have enough yarn.

I'll try that. Thanks.  

Maki Minakoaino

MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:42 pm
Hiya!

I'm working on a project and I have reached a point where the next row is:

(P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) 4 times

The thing is there are only enough stitches to work the pattern twice on the row. What does it want me to do now? Do I do another row of the same and just not mark it in my notes as a row, or is this something else entirely?

Thanks for any help!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:30 am
MarchingTwinkie3
Hiya!

I'm working on a project and I have reached a point where the next row is:

(P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) 4 times

The thing is there are only enough stitches to work the pattern twice on the row. What does it want me to do now? Do I do another row of the same and just not mark it in my notes as a row, or is this something else entirely?

Thanks for any help!

I'd love to see the pattern or at least know what part you're working on to see if it's a typo or something. According to what you've posted, you're supposed to repeat the (P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) four times across that row.... which I'm sure is what you already figured out. I have no idea why you only have half as many stitches as you need. Is this a free pattern you can link to so I can maybe see where the problem is? Did you make any pattern alterations that you might have forgotten about? (trust me, I've done this *blush*) Do you think you followed all the previous instructions perfectly?  

Catcheen
Crew

MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:45 am
Unfortunatly it's not a free pattern. It's in this book.

The pattern is for a hat; the only change I've made is that I'm using a cheaper, different fiber yarn that is the same weight as what the pattern calls for. The first spot where the strange instruction shows up is on row 4 and the "4 times" part appears 7 more times in the pattern. For the most part it's pretty straightforward, but that part makes no sense. If I work the 3rd and 4th times as a separate row everything gets all backwards and funky and it doesn't look like it should do that.

Do you suppose they just made a typo 8 times? Should I try continuing the project as if it was a typo and see what happens?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff