Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Chat thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 30 31 32 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

firrantello

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am
LadyAnubis
Cool. I started work on a fathers day present, but there's no way I'll get it done in time.

what sort of thing do you make for guys in your life? i mean, i made my boyfriend a blanket, but that's because he always steals mine otherwise. my dad wouldn't go for one... so what do you make for guys in your life?  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I don'thave many. Just my dad and my grandpa.

My dad restored a '53 chevy truck, which it takes to car shows. It's red. Well, in the evenings, it gets cold, so I've got this HUGE boucle yarn in varagated red that I'm using to make a small afgan (this will actually probably be used more by my mom, since she's always cold, but it'll mean she's not complaining to my dad, which I suppose is gift enough). It's got a white stripe at the bottom (another will go at the top), and I'm going to put the chevy bowtie on the center, also in white.

At one point, I did have a boyfriend. He did a lot of walking around town since he didn't have a car, so I made him a "Canada scarf:" extra wide, made of very thick yarn, and on the long side so that it can be folded in half, wrapped around several times, whatever, for extra warmth. He was really happy with it.

We broke up about a month later, though.  

LadyAnubis

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:57 pm
I'm working on knitting a pair of armwarmers. Kinda hard, i don't have a pattern... but hey, i figure it can't be that hard, right? [/ignorance]

Lady Anubis, that blanket sounds like the perfect thing for an old car of any kind. I'm tempted to make one for my friend Eric... He has old cars up the wazoo and no blankets in them. I should get a couple BIG balls of yarn and make him a couple blankets some time. Mayhaps over the next year... [/thoughtfull]  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:55 am
I actually got the idea when we went to Florida last year. It was April, and unseasonably cool, and we were at a car show with my aunt and unlce, freezing our buns off around 11pm.

Arm warmers aren't too hard. I made a pair (here)
Just make sure that you increase as you get further up the arm. I'm not advanced enough to attempt a pair with a thumb gusset, but I like these...unfortunatly, they don't coordinadate with anything I own. sweatdrop  

LadyAnubis

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 am
Those are awesome! I've never really made anything shaped before, and i find myself unable to follow patterns, so.....

I love it, Magestic and the mustang (who doesn't have a name yet) get FREEZING when we're on our way back from a late-night movie, or late-night bowling, or heck, just sitting around at his house untill late. (He's like my big brother, and we do alot of stuff untill late late)  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:01 pm
I'm a free former as well. I've been crocheting since I was eight, and knitting for about five months, and I still can't read a pattern to save my life.  

LadyAnubis

wingedorange

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:51 pm
firrantello
LadyAnubis
Cool. I started work on a fathers day present, but there's no way I'll get it done in time.

what sort of thing do you make for guys in your life? i mean, i made my boyfriend a blanket, but that's because he always steals mine otherwise. my dad wouldn't go for one... so what do you make for guys in your life?

I made my boyfriend a couple of things so far...a RENT scarf (blue and white stripes, but knit as a tube, so it's double warm), and a matching hat. He wants a hat like the one from Girl From Auntie's free patterns, with a pirate smiley on it. He loves the stuff I make for him, fortunately, and the sweater curse hasn't hit us yet, thankfully. smile

My dad's a whole other story, though. He has big fleece store-bought gloves he loves for snowblowing, he's not a scarf person, and he has this ski-mask type thing he wears for snowblowing as well. "I'm set," he tells me. Mrf.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:13 pm
Same with my dad. The blanket will probably be used more by my mom. I'm making it rather small, so it won't even be big enough for them to cuddle, which I know will dissapoint her.  

LadyAnubis

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 pm
Cabling's hard. >.< and i lost one of my double pointed needles (i need to clean my room) so i can't work on my arm warmer right now. My cabled scarf is pissing me off, so i'm not working on that right now. Luckily, i crochet too, so i can work on a scarf for my friend. >< and the bags i'm sewing up. Mikono hates being sick.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:13 pm
I don't have time to work on much of anything. I move out in two days, and I've been puttting off my packing for as long as possible, but I think I'm going to have to box it up tomorrow.  

LadyAnubis

firrantello

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:44 pm
@LadyAnubis: i hate that dorm moving out period... *grr* and my arm warmers don't match a thing either. actually, i need to redo part of them, i accidentally ripped them the first time i wore them (oops)

@Mikono: don't tell me cabling's hard, that's going to be my next attempt! EEEEK! well, it's going to be small, so maybe i'll be ok?

@wingedorange: those tube scarves ARE warm. i did a harry potter hufflepuff one that way... so snuggly! that link looks fun, i might bookmark it and try it sometime.

i think my next project is a hat for a close friend who joined the Marines recently... blue hat with a red stripe or two and USMC in white.
does anyone have a link to a pattern generator where i can do words?  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 pm
@firrantello: I have a hufflepuff scarf too! Its cute.

Cabling isn't actually too hard if you don't knit tight... If you knit looser then i was it should be easy enough. i mean, its still fairly hard to get used to, but its not horrid.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

firrantello

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:01 pm
Mikono

Cabling isn't actually too hard if you don't knit tight... If you knit looser then i was it should be easy enough. i mean, its still fairly hard to get used to, but its not horrid.

Eeep. I knit tight sweatdrop Oh well, it'll be worth a try anyway. The yarn I was going to use was from a botched project anyway smile

Yay Hufflepuff!!  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:39 am
firrantello
Mikono

Eeep. I knit tight sweatdrop Oh well, it'll be worth a try anyway. The yarn I was going to use was from a botched project anyway smile

Yay Hufflepuff!!

One thing you might do if you can afford it (i only recenlty managed to get my hands on the needles for it) is pick up a set of DPNs or a cabling needle a size larger then what your using for the rest of the scarf, and when your knitting the row before the cabling, figure out which stitches it is that are gonna need to go on the cabling needle and knit them with the bigger one. it makes things alot easier, cause then you have a little slack.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

firrantello

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:21 am
Mikono
firrantello
Mikono

Yay Hufflepuff!!

One thing you might do if you can afford it (i only recenlty managed to get my hands on the needles for it) is pick up a set of DPNs or a cabling needle a size larger then what your using for the rest of the scarf, and when your knitting the row before the cabling, figure out which stitches it is that are gonna need to go on the cabling needle and knit them with the bigger one. it makes things alot easier, cause then you have a little slack.

i'll keep it in mind, thanks smile  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29 30 31 32 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces