Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
You might be in the SCA if.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

musicman3672

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm
I dont care anymore...

*you can spend days working on how to improve your armor

or, for those of us without armor (yet!) days, weeks, months, or longer formulating how to make it on a college student's budget, while keeping it as historically accurate as possible!
Quote:

*you dislike movies with inaccurate garb and armor

I can only watch medieval-themed movies that get the vote of approval from other SCAdians... and even then only by myself or with other SCAdians... apparently mundanes aren't interested in a running commentary on the garb during "Barveheart" redface  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:24 pm
- When the only dress you own gives you extra "umph" ><

- When you get your fighters license before your drivers license

- When you go to school on Monday, you've forgotten to NOT wear your garb (I've done that 3x)

- When you get into a conversation about swords that do more than cut...  

Styx Chick

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm
. . . being called a "petite angel of Death" is a compliment. (I will be someday, Christian! I swear! sweatdrop whee )

. . . you use (or attempt to use) a piece of garb for a project for school.

(The dress my lord made me is based off of this painting [without the gauze. . . thingy. . . over the shoulders], and I just got a project in my painting class to do a reproduction of an "Old Masters" work and turn it into a self-portrait.

(I wanted to use this painting so I could wear my dress-- but I've misplaced the lacing threads for the bodice & sleeves! crying )

. . . you find yourself in a fabric store at 8 o'clock at night, squealing like a fangirl over the stripes on a bolt of curtain fabric and how perfect it is for the pantaloons you want to make.

~. . . and you're a guy.

(My lord just called me about 1/2 an hour ago gushing over this fabric he's found at a going-out-of-business JoAnn Fabrics, and that he's also found a fabric that would be awesome for a doublet for me.

(He's so cute when he's "garb shopping". xd heart )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:33 pm
Styx Chick
- When the only dress you own gives you extra "umph" ><

- When you get your fighters license before your drivers license

Having just gotten home from my first war I've recently remembered that I still don't have mine... >.<

And I'm in college.

Quote:
- When you go to school on Monday, you've forgotten to NOT wear your garb (I've done that 3x)

- When you get into a conversation about swords that do more than cut...

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:34 pm
When somebody calls you by your given name and you have to take a second to figure out who they're talking to

(I didn't realize how foreign my name was to me... most mundanes don't use first names in conversation, but my SCA name gets a lot of wear)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm
Valynn
When you contradict your history teacher about the middle ages or rennisance periods.
I got free periods for 2months when we reached that in high school

OR
Your school asks you for 'costumes' for Romeo and Juliet
LOL I got $550 for supplying my school with garb for a play....Good times, good times. 3nodding

I've said for years that's not appropriate for children...

Romeo and Juliet

Tybalt: True; and therefore women, being the weaker vessels, are ever thrust to the wall: therefore I will push Montague's men from the walls and thrust his maids to the wall

Gregory: The quarrel is between our masters and us their men

Tybalt: 'Tis all one, I will show myself a tyrant: when I have fought with the men, I will be cruel with the maids, and cut off their heads.

Gregory: The heads of the maids?

Tybalt: Ay, the heads of the maids, or their maidenheads; take it in whay sense thou wilt

Gregory: They must take it in sense that feel it

Tybalt: Me they shal feel while I am able to stand: and 'tis known I am a pretty piece of flesh.

Dear gods! That's just the first page! High school kids know the implications of liberal use of "thrust" and even "maidenhead," but the non-SCAdian high schooler who actually understands Elizabethan literature enough to make this what it's written to be... I just wouldn't want to be a parent in that audience.  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:44 pm
Hope came on black wings
If you know ducktape and superglue are period, Huzzah magic ^^

Super glue's pushing it, but everyone from the Vikings to the Romans to the Civilized peoples of late-period Europe had versions of duck tape. Most of it was made with tar, but that's not the point. If they'd had the shiny version they'd have used it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:49 pm
Artemis12
--You know what achronism is

My first newcomer's meeting was full of excited whispers as, for twenty minutes, everyone whispered behind their hands trying to figure out what "anachronism" meant before they got kicked out.  

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 am
-when you set foot in the fabric store, the employees beg for details on your current project
-when you set foot in the fabric store, the employees ask you for advice
-not only do your fabric store's employees know you by name, but also your lord and possibly some of his friends (I walked into a JoAnn's without my boyfriend and every woman in the store got weepy... tall, dark, long hair... standard SCA eye candy)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:47 pm
when your expected to help with children's activites and feast

and offered to to be the minister of minors(I'm still in high school though crying )  

dkabyssaldragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:14 pm
dkabyssaldragon

and offered to to be the minister of minors(I'm still in high school though crying )

Smalls are lovely.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:13 pm
When you go through SCA withdrawal in the winter months...

Yep, that'd be me...*sniffle* I need an event.  

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:25 am
Arithrel
When you go through SCA withdrawal in the winter months...

Yep, that'd be me...*sniffle* I need an event.

I know the feeling. I'm lucky enough to live in a desert now, but once upon a time I had the same problem.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:12 pm
squire to fools
dkabyssaldragon

Smalls are lovely.

well that maybe that they are the SCA's future but they have the moments were i have a hard time to deal with them  

dkabyssaldragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 pm
dkabyssaldragon
squire to fools
dkabyssaldragon

Smalls are lovely.

well that maybe that they are the SCA's future but they have the moments were i have a hard time to deal with them

I always envied the smalls that get to grow up in the SCA. It's a big deal for adults, but I can't even imagine how cool it is for little kids.

Not only do you get to play knights-and-ladies and dress up (staples in every child's world) with all your friends, but also with your parents and hundreds of other people. The thought of a child's perspective in our world just blows me away.

A few reigns ago our king and queen had a little girl whom they names princess royale (a standard practice). She was five or six. I was passing the youth minister and the children when I saw a girl of about six run past and whisper to a nearby lady "mommy, that girl's a princess!" My heart was goo.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 24 25 26 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff