Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

L.una

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 am
They annoy me...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:13 pm
A lot of the time I don't proofread because...I just don't and I want to get my chapter up on fanfiction right away. But spell checkers don't catch a lot of the common mistakes I make like if I want to type "he" and I type "her" instead.

Lady Pemberly

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 pm
Ugh. I hate this issue.

Spell checkers are great in my opinion. They help me catch the dumb mistakes that you make when you end up typing at some god-awful hour in the morning.

However, as I often lament as I read Fanfiction, they are not panaceas. Here's an example:

I mistype 'though' as 'tough'. The spellchecker is none the wiser.

Also, concerning names, the spellchecker is comparable to a braindead hippopotamus. Example:

A certain video game character happens to be extremely good-looking. His name is Albel.

The spellchecker doesn't like this very much. So it tells me to name him...

Label.

gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:05 pm
I think Gaia should have its own spell checker for all those n00bs. D:  

[ToXiC][ToOtHpAsTe]

CristoVII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:54 am
Spellcheckers aren't bad, as they catch words you miss, but god forbid never, never use auto correct. Take my word for it. Don't.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:20 pm
The trouble with spell checkers is how people use them. So many people turn on the grammar and spell check on MS Word and call that perfect if there are not any squiggly lines. The thing is, spell checkers can be wrong almost as often as they are right, especially if one has a good vocabulary.

The truth is, a program can only be trained to do so much. People know so much more.  

Lady Dracor

little cherry blossom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 pm
I had someone send me a fanfic they had written which had already been sent through spell check. I think it took me two hours to clean it up. Spell check is fine, but since many words are used in a different context or may be a correct spelling BUT THE WRONG WORD it can be very vexing to deal with. Personally I find it easier to just check it myself! Plus it never seems to like names of any kind, as others before me has mentioned. You get tired of telling it Julie is okay and you don't want jewels.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:07 pm
Personally I like the old Word Perfect spellchecker. It underlines incorrect words as you write them, and then the spellchecker goes through the document with you, word by underlined word, and you can choose to replace the word with a word on the suggestions list of words that you probably meant when you typed it, or you can ignore it, ignore all the words spelled that way, (which is helpful in an essay on say, Czeckoslavakian dictators) add it to the dictionary, or fix it yourself. Plus it automatically fixes words that are completely obvious. (like 'teh' to 'the') It actually discourages laziness.

I had a habit of typing 'teh' instead of 'the', and in my dictionary 'teh' was a word, so it never caught it. In Word Perfect, you can also subtract words from your dictionary, which really helped in my case.  

Silverkleptofox

Deyvon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:36 pm
I also can not spell for the life of me, in fact when ever I am posting a lot, I keep M-W open to help me out, since the firefox extension is really sad.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:45 pm
I use a spell checker quite often because my own spelling is atrocious, however I agree that it’s no substitute for proofreading. Because of the style of writing I do, the words I use often aren’t recognized by the computer’s dictionary. As a general rule, if it’s a real word, such as the proper name for a style of weapon, like the falchion, I’ll add it. If it’s a character’s name, which probably wont show up again in my writing, then I don’t and just ignore it.  

duello

Reykjavik Bern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:32 pm
I often have to use a spell checker, as my spelling is way below par, since I only just learned English. I do proofred rather extensively however, since I know they aren't perfect.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:06 pm
Wow, I do enjoy having certain words corrected for me. But as soon as I started typing certain names and such spell check just got tiresome. And when I'm really going on a writing spree, I know full well I better proof and get someone else to re-proof before submitting it. I've been humiliated by word before. evil  

bakuretsuai

Chasmothyst

Shirtless Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:05 pm
I always proof read before and after spell checking- just in case. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 pm
I only use the spell check in my WordPerfect program for words that I'm unsure of (which isn't often, anyway).
Personally, I think I'm too lazy to use spell check. I'd rather go to my handy pocket dictionary. xD

Praxling

l3viathan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:57 pm
I use spell checkers since since it helps catch typos sometimes. However, spell checkers should not be used by its self; especially for grammatical errors. People should only use spell checkers for checking for typos, and not as a replacement for proof-reading. Nothing should be used as a replacement for proof-reading.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff