Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Getting in shape for cosplay - Support~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 am
@Dattebayo Princess
I'm not quite sure I hope someone can give you better advice, all I can say is ask your doctor about healthy protein foods, he might even give you a supplement (my friend is a vegetarian and I think she takes something like that). But health classes have told me that dairy, beans, nuts and seeds have protein.

On my own dieting/work out plan. I'm in day three of my diet and the only thing bad I had was a Cafe au lait. Also I finally went to the gym with my roommate and played racquetball for an hour! I'll probably post at the end of the week with my progress!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:22 pm
DattebayoPrincess
So my big dilemma with food and losing weight is my nutrient intake.

With being vegetarian, it isn't very easy for me to get all the protein i need. It also doesn't help that i'm a very picky eater. I have to eat quite a bit of protein-rich foods to get my daily amount and that's holding me back from losing the last five pounds.

The only kind i really have access to is granola bars, salty peanuts, and a bunch of soy-meat substitutes.

If anyone could help, i'd love it >_<
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

Alright, so I have a few things that might help.

First of all, for granola bars you want to look at the sugar content. A lot of them are surprisingly high! I suggest trying something like Kashi, which seems to be a lot more healthy over all compared to some other brands. Or, if you don't find anything you like, consider making your own. You can find a ton of recipes online for making fast and healthy granola bars. Add a variety of different nuts and dried fruits to help balance nutrition. Also, if you like chocolate you might want to look for some recipes that include dark chocolate, which is actually good for your health in small doses.

Now, for the peanuts. They're OK for you, but there's other nuts that provide protein as well as other nutrients you could be missing out on. I'm not sure which ones you'd like, so I'd suggest looking at this site for alternatives that you might want to look into. Also, try to not buy nuts that have a lot of salt. Salt can actually make you retain water, so if you cut down on the salty nuts you might actually lose some water weight you could possibly have!

Finally, what kind of soy-meat substitutes are you talking about? I'm going to assume tofu, since that's the most popular. This site has some nice suggestions for getting your protein in with meat substitutes.

Actually, looking up information to help you out helped me too~! So thank you for posing this question. (In case you're wondering, I'm a vegetarian too. I probably have less of a protein issue, though, since my college is awesome enough to have a vegan/vegetarian area in one of the dining halls.)

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

Lady March Hare

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 pm
Wow... looking through this thread, all of you guys are really inspiring! I'm going to have to sit down and make myself a plan. Though I'm WAY too shy to cosplay anything that would show too much skin, it's a good idea and would probably help me feel a lot better when I cosplay.

Just wanted to say good luck and you all can do eet!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 am
Thank you Panda and Storm, those suggestions did help ^^ The websites especially!

Yes, what i eat is mainly tofu. And i will have to set up an appointment with my doctor soon enough, i've been getting sick and i have no idea how or why @_@  

FreakingCosmicKid

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:43 pm
Aww, well I hope that turns out to be nothing serious!

Okay, so I've been on my diet for about a week now (though I had Snow cream today cause it snowed, which rarely happens) and I've had success! I don't have a scale but I did take my measurements and lost an inch off of both my bust and waist and a 1/2 inch of my hips! So now into week two and the final week of my strict diet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm
        February Goals:

1. cut down soda to one R.C. Cola.

2. run 3 times a week (MWF)

3. go to yoga & Utena session once a week

Good luck to everyone else as well!

bonestars

Dapper Exhibitionist

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 am
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

@DattebayoPrincess ~ Glad that helped!

Alright, and as for how my plan is going:

I'm being good with the sweets, considering how much I crave them. Snacks are now healthy and I'm not snacking after 10 PM. The crunches are going well, I'm almost done losing my belly. I still need to do push ups and squats with more frequency, though. I'm trying to walk a bit more too. And going to bed earlier/waking up earlier is helping too!

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm
Another motivation for me to diet and exercise... My cholesterol came out higher than healthy in my blood tests... O_O  

SakuraRico

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:54 pm
Thought I'd update just to laugh at how much I suck.

Gained about two pounds seeing as I've been so busy with getting started for work and my boyfriend just dumped me (oh hey feeling like crap about myself). Trying to figure out a new diet/exercise plan seeing as I most likely have to work from 5:30 to 9:30 most days.

Well this sucks. Time to laugh at myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 pm
So ive lost 3lbs since i was last on here ^^
i know its not much but its a start. i actually got onto the Special K diet. it is SOOOO frustrating :
breakfast, snacks, and lunch are all special k products and dinner can be whatever. sure there are different flavors of the protein bars and protein shakes and cereals and cereal bars but it gets annoying when all you are eating is cereal products. but hay it works. ^^

SO my goal for February is 4 lbs
i got a shake n' weight, its really cool. look it up on google haha.
the shake n' wight works too. my arms are starting to slim down biggrin

but anyways im still a bit on the Special K diet but i want to work on my cardio more. that is the key thing, so we'll see where this takes me.

Congrats on those loosing weight and Good Luck to everyone~

xXMakorikXx

Kitten-Tora

5,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 pm
User Image"Names Axel. A-X-E-L"

Okay. I'm not really sure what to do for my plan, cause I stink at this kind of thing. But here is mainly my info, so if you have any suggestions please do tell.

Height: 4'11...yeah I'm really short
Weight: 140...doctor says I should be somewhere around 110 mainly.((but I understand if it be to much to lose by my set date))
Date: May 28.

What I do: Dance & Movement((yoga, which is currently the whole class)), walking to all of my classes, the gazelle thing((not the animal!)), and sometimes DDR. I also dance at home sometimes when I am by myself.

Willing to cut out: soda, fast food((don't really eat it anyways, makes me sick)), and all the bad food they give at school and go with the salad.

So any tips and stuff? Cause I would really like to not only be a bit more in shape for my Axel cosplay, but also to just feel better and healthier.

EDIT: I also have the shape-up shoes they are selling, and I'm wearing them now((just got the yesterday of the the date of this post))

"Got it Memorized~?"
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:04 pm
Kitten-Tora
User Image"Names Axel. A-X-E-L"

Okay. I'm not really sure what to do for my plan, cause I stink at this kind of thing. But here is mainly my info, so if you have any suggestions please do tell.

Height: 4'11...yeah I'm really short
Weight: 140...doctor says I should be somewhere around 110 mainly.((but I understand if it be to much to lose by my set date))
Date: May 28.

What I do: Dance & Movement((yoga, which is currently the whole class)), walking to all of my classes, the gazelle thing((not the animal!)), and sometimes DDR. I also dance at home sometimes when I am by myself.

Willing to cut out: soda, fast food((don't really eat it anyways, makes me sick)), and all the bad food they give at school and go with the salad.

So any tips and stuff? Cause I would really like to not only be a bit more in shape for my Axel cosplay, but also to just feel better and healthier.

EDIT: I also have the shape-up shoes they are selling, and I'm wearing them now((just got the yesterday of the the date of this post))

"Got it Memorized~?"
User Image

well cardio is the best work out so make sure that you get your heart pumping. working out for 20 minutes or more is best ^^
dancing and yoga is something i do often as well ahhaha. i like to dance like an idiot when im a lone x]

passing up fast foods and fatty foods are a good idea. thats a great start ^^ try and eat your veggies a little more than the fruits(cuz of all of the sugar) and i guess stay active ahaha

so those shape-up shoes, i heard they are hard to walk in. x]

Marni~

xXMakorikXx

Serrayas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 pm
I'm 5'9 ish... and weighed myself about a week or so ago. I'm 195 pounds >.< It's awful, I should be at least 30-40 pounds lighter, it's just this chocolate obsession that I have.. and staying up late, thus I eat later than I should.

I don't really exercise, but I am on my feet all day and almost constantly moving in my job for about 7 hours/day. I'm still trying to eat healthier, but I found I don't really have a taste for fruit except for the harder to find variety where I live - palmello's for the most part. I think I like veggie's more. It's just that it gets to a point that all that healthy food makes me want to throw up even from the thought of it. There's times I won't eat anything for some meals because I just lose my appetite when faced with the choice of an apple, or nothing.

Sometimes it gets to be too expensive to buy things that are healthier. You would think the pricing for junkfood and other unhealthy things in grocery stores would go up and the things we're told we're supposed to eat would be relatively cheap. But that would be too convenient, wouldn't it?

Despite my laziness, I'm trying to go to the gym. Start off slow with the treadmill and weight lifting. I want to lose at least 30 pounds for my cosplay in August this year, but does that seem like an unattainable goal? I don't know if I have the drive to lose this weight. That'll be the worst part, motivating myself to start this "plan" and keep with it long enough that it seems like part of my everyday routine.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:59 am
I actually haven't started any of my fitness plans- i've been procrastinating. D:
but this is an awesome idea. i shall actually start working toward my goal.

Well, i'm 5'0 ish, or a bit shorter, and and i weigh around 135 pounds. My goal is to lose at least 20 pounds.

So far, my plans are to:
- cut out snacks (im a snacker T-T.)
- do wii fit everyday
- possibly ride the bike (but it's old and lame, so i'm not sure how that will go)
- and pack my own lunch or buy a salad.
- I've also been considering those shape-up shoes or the special K diet. (do either of them actually help?)

Anywho, i would love any suggestions you guys can offer. (:

tribbles753

Kitten-Tora

5,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 am
xXMakorikXx

well cardio is the best work out so make sure that you get your heart pumping. working out for 20 minutes or more is best ^^
dancing and yoga is something i do often as well ahhaha. i like to dance like an idiot when im a lone x]

passing up fast foods and fatty foods are a good idea. thats a great start ^^ try and eat your veggies a little more than the fruits(cuz of all of the sugar) and i guess stay active ahaha

so those shape-up shoes, i heard they are hard to walk in. x]

Marni~

Okay. I'll start doing cardio once all this rain and snow stops...I almost fell earlier. Dancing is fun to do when no one is around~!

I'm all for more veggies, they're so delicious~!

They're hard to walk in for the first few minutes, but then you don't even notice them. My mom and I mainly got them because their really comfortable with all that padding.  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff