Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:39 am
circlelord13
well, i was speaking of the goddess Diana. xp

Yea- see, because of her myths- I really don't want her blessings. Her lore doesn't jive at all with my approach to life. Torturing someone to death for accidently seeing her when he shouldn't doesn't strike me as a good thing. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:55 am
Esiris
circlelord13
well, i was speaking of the goddess Diana. xp

Yea- see, because of her myths- I really don't want her blessings. Her lore doesn't jive at all with my approach to life. Torturing someone to death for accidently seeing her when he shouldn't doesn't strike me as a good thing. sweatdrop

I think it's pretty apparent that his Diana is not the Roman Diana. His Diana is meant to be a mother.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:58 am
Sanguina Cruenta

I think it's pretty apparent that his Diana is not the Roman Diana. His Diana is meant to be a mother.

That shows how much I know about Strega. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:24 am
Esiris
Sanguina Cruenta

It's not Strega ninja  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 am
oOGarrettOo
Esiris
Sanguina Cruenta

It's not Strega ninja
So wait Diana isn't the Queen of Witches or whatever? o.O  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 am
Ravynne Sidhe
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Ravynne Sidhe
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Ravynne Sidhe
Going based off of memory the RHP deals with things like morality, goodness blah blah blah. LHP is more umm...I forget xDDD

I'll look it up tomorrow morning.
That still to me sounds like the agruement between being a white witch or a black witch. So it goes back to what's moral for one may not be moral for the next.
Well the problem with black or white is that magic in of itself does not have a color code. It is all dependent to what you're using it for like any tool out there.
I know. I only brought it up because this whole land hand right hand crap to me is the same as calling a person evil because they have slightly different morals than you.

Say like I have a Native American and a Kemetic. To the Native American the Kemetic could be on the left hand path because animal products are taboo and the Native Americans used every single part of the animal.
Not really.

The Right Hand Path more so goes with social conventions and avoids taboos, they divide concepts into mind body soul and adhere to a very specific moral code. Whereas LHP ignores the status quo, indulges in sexuality, and question morals and dogma. Satanism basically does all the things in the LHP. Many forms of the Neo Pagan religions follow the RHP versus the LHP. The LHP is often looked down upon as well as Satanism. The terms actually came from a form of Hindusim and are used to describe Western philosophies.
Social morals come from the dominating religion in the area though.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:34 am
Ravynne Sidhe
So wait Diana isn't the Queen of Witches or whatever? o.O
I can't see how she would be. She's the maiden goddess of the hunt, moon, and is associated with woodland wildlife and such. There's nothing that has to do with her teaching anyone magic. And besides that, if she were to teach anyone magic, it would only be women, as Diana did not like men. But there's nothing in her lore suggesting she was the queen of witches. I'm pretty sure that's just people grasping at straws or however.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 am
During some more research I've read that in Arician traditions there was worship of Diana by the pagans. During the Inquisition of the area, the Inquisitors constructed beliefs that if there was Pagan worship of Diana, then all those pagans were therefore "Evil witches". There's no historic evidence that they worshiped her as any Queen of witchcraft. What I found in regards to their worship is that in that general area, after Diana became more closely related to the Titan Luna, she was slowly associated with childbirth (which is weird since she's still a maiden goddess).

Still nothing about Witches.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 am
oOGarrettOo
after Diana became more closely related to the Titan Luna, she was slowly associated with childbirth (which is weird since she's still a maiden goddess).
It could be that she helped during? Don't know much lore about other deities associated with childbirth.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
oOGarrettOo
after Diana became more closely related to the Titan Luna, she was slowly associated with childbirth (which is weird since she's still a maiden goddess).
It could be that she helped during? Don't know much lore about other deities associated with childbirth.
Maybe, but I find it unlikely. At that time she was referred to mostly by an alias, such as Luna. So there's no telling exactly what was going on.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 am
oOGarrettOo
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
oOGarrettOo
Maybe, but I find it unlikely. At that time she was referred to mostly by an alias, such as Luna. So there's no telling exactly what was going on.
I was just thinking out loud trying to connect thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 am
oOGarrettOo
It's not Strega ninja

There's like 5 ways that could make sense- could you explain which one you mean so I don't get the wrong idea. sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

HorsesOfTheNight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am
The Roman goddess Diana is associated with childbirth (both animals and humans). I can cite my source when I get back home. From what I have read she has nothing to do with magic or witches.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am
Yus, she was associated with childbirth though she was a virgin goddess because she was the twin born first, and having been born, turned around and helped her mother birth her brother.

Edit:
My vague understanding is that Diana must be a pre-Roman Etruscan goddess, syncretised with Artemis a little later, and that if Leland wasn't just making s**t up (I am still suspicious on that score), some belief distinct from Roman Diana was retained and changed over time as some form of folk belief.

I'm also vaguely familiar with "Diana as queen of witches", as Garrett said, sort of imposed on whoever by church authorities (or not... who knows?) simply because she was a Pagan goddess and they may or may not have been worshipping her... and Pagan = witch = satan or whatever. I believe Valiente discusses this in one of her books.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 am
circlelord13
1. NEVER CALL A MALE WITCH A WARLOCK!

What about witches who identify themselves as "Warlocks"? Would it not be even MORE offensive to refuse to address them as such?

Quote:
2. never say a witch worships a deity or entity known as satan,

And what about the witches who DO worship Satan? Remember, witchcraft is not a religion unto itself. It is a craft that can be added onto any religion, even Satanism (both kinds). To say that no witch worships Satan is like saying no American eats soy. It is an unfair and inaccurate generalization.

Quote:
3. never call a restructionist pagan a "neopagan"

But recon-traditions are Neo-Pagan. They are reconstructing the old faith in a modern world. Some of the texts of whatever culture they originally belonged to are lost or gone and so the people attempting to reconstruct it are left with holes in their tradition(s). They can either leave these holes open or fill them in with new material, but either way the reconstructed religion will not be the same as the original religion off of which it was based. It is a new religion.

All the word "neo" means is "new". So, I'm sorry to break it to you and I apologize if it offends you, but yes, recon-religions are Neo-Pagan.

Quote:
4. an insult to any italian witch would be to say Aradia is not a Goddess...
yes Aradia was mortal in one way, but then again so was "jesus"
the goddess diana went down to Earth being born as the goddess Aradia
who taught Witchcraft to the opressed people of Italy!

This is the one that I did not know and what I was asking about when I asked you to explain the offense. Are you an Italian witch? Would you mind explaining your practice to me so that I may better understand it?

Quote:
5. basically dont try to convert a witch, or say anything that would offend any basic person... biggrin

I agree that you should try not to offend people. But why do you specify not trying to convert witches and not just "don't try to convert anyone"? What makes witches any different than anyone else on the street that religious lobbyist try to convert? WHat makes us so special?

Also, what if a witch WANTS to convert to another religion? Remember: Witchcraft is a craft, a practice. It is not a religion by itself. It can be incorporated into your religion or you can build your own religion around as I have done. But "witch" is not a religion by itself.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games