Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Rate the Person's Video Game Composition Above You! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:22 pm
I remember hearing this song, I think you posted this in one of our music battles? Anywho, I like the western feel, of course. And I really like the slightly melodramatic but still fun singing. And of course with some grave lyrics you can take seriously. And I really like the harmonica and dangerous-sounding percussion. And when the instruments back off for the broken up, defeated descent, all was lost... that's just great. Though I think it ends a bit anti-climatically. The long held note is too held back to be a yell, and kinda just appears and goes away, and the gong that follows I feel isn't really enough either. Though it's still a distinctive song, and it gets a good 7/10.

Also, butts! Guns and butts!

Title Theme- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link by Akito Nakatsuka.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Zelda II! I don't just love it because I'm a hipster to games, it made my high school graduate summer fun!*

This piece is interesting, juxtaposed to other video games that start with a fanfare, this one starts from the inside out: a twinkly melody to start which it then goes into the meat of the piece which very upbeat, with a brief line of uncertainty, only for the upbeat to conquer it. Also bonus points for the percussion sounds, as percussion in 8 bit is yummy.

7.8/10

Area - 1 from Super Bomberman by Jun Chikuma

*I can still speed run the Great Palace by memory.

Also, hai guise, sorry for the hiatus, I had a rough semester. Now that I got all my major assignments in, I now have free time to contribute again.

edit: Also, when I was a kid, I wanted to be Bomberman when I grew up, I still want to be Bomberman. sad  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:14 pm
This has a nice beat to it. I feel like I am wandering through an open area with the first 30 seconds and I can get myself into the music. I feel that it used the ... uh well it was a good piece. I don't know how to explain it. 9/10

Boss Battle Theme #2 From Chrono Trigger by Yasunori Mitsuda  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:24 pm
Definitely a good and animated boss theme. Man, I gotta play this game again sometime soon. I really like the percussion. It's got a nice fast tempo, and it feels tense, even if the trumpet sound is a little screechy sounding sometimes. I also like those rising and falling scales, and that key change. Ooh, and the intro. It's a good boss theme through and through. Not the best, but it's quite good as generic boss themes go. It doesn't stick out the most, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. 7/10.

Also, Welcome back, Hassan! Glad to hear you got through your semester. Also, Bomberman Multiplayer is always a blast. We still have it on every now and then at my college's gaming club. We even had a blindfolded bomberman tournament at our most recent college gaming con, where two teams of two would play, the one who had the controller was blindfolded, and their partner had to dictate to them what to do. I was the latter of those, and I was teamed up with a friend of mine. It was a lot of fun for everyone.

The Whole New World- Phantasy Star Online by Hideaki Kobayashi/Kenichi Tokoi/Fumie Kumatani... I'm not quite sure who.

Also, linked the intro because it seemed like all of the versions of this song were either instrumentals or not the vocal version used in the Gamecube version that I own and was looking for.  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 pm
Thread revival, with the power of CREATION! Thanks to the body of a homuculi, a perverted genius and shattered god spirit.

As for the piece, I was most attracted to the strings line for some reason. I found it had a nice, glossy, legato flow to it, which heavily matched the watery island feel to the video. The vocals seemed a bit off at first, but as the piece progressed, it was really interesting to hear it go from normal singing, to infusing (?) with technological sounds. Perhaps the trumpet could have played a more significant role rather than duck in and out, leaving the strings (which were consistently fabulous and fierce) to do all the heavy lifting. Overall, solid and well composed piece, 7.7/10

Fated Confrontation (Duel Theme) from Genso Suikoden IV composed by Masahiko Kimura  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm
This piece doesn't feel like a battle at all.

It's more like the opening piece before the battle, with the... Fated Confrontation, when everyone's saying their piece before they're like 'We must fight!' The instrumentation was pretty balanced between the brass and the drums, but it still felt like it was lacking something. 8/10

My next piece is from a fanmade Zelda game called Time's Menagerie. I haven't had the chance to play it, but the remixed Zelda pieces sound pretty cool. Didn't see anything about not using fanmade games, so... I guess it's okay?

The Goddess Mocker by Monarchy One, game made by UndyingNapalm, Zelda characters and original music reserved by Nintendo.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 pm
Well, it isn't a battle (in the context of RPG style) piece, but you make good points about the composition itself, which I will agree with.

I do dig the organ being a J.S Bach junkie myself, and the quality of the instrument is fantastic. However, I felt that the melody itself didn't lead into the next bit well. While it started with "The Temple of Time", it arbitrarily lead to another movement without warning of such, as well as ended without warning. However, that aside, I really did like the feeling of the piece, organs give such a mysterious, subtle chill aura to it. As well as the piece did a good job in terms of balance, not once did I question the piece's bass and treble equality, it was equal all throughout. I like it- 8.3/10

Twlight Space from Super Bonk composed by Masaaki Nishizawa  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:52 pm
It's got a great, fun beat and some pretty darn good synth brass, as well as bass and snare sounds that are also quite good. It certainly sounds like a space level, as it should. The bleeps stand out a little bit amongst the other sounds, but it's not bad because it sounds suitably spacey. Though it does sound a bit generic to me, I really do like it, and the quieter bass parts offset the more blazing brass areas well enough to feel climactic and strong. 7/10

Can I post another SNES song?

Battle against an unsettling opponent- Earthbound, by Keiichi Suzuki and/or Hirozaku Tanaka  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:02 pm
... This song is rather catchy. But I can't see this used as a battle theme either. Maybe for some suspicious situation, like during a mystery or some graveyard traveling. The synth and the drumming parts are really upbeat and fast-paced in some parts, which was rather unexpected.

I like this piece. A bit short, but it fits the 'unsettling' part in the title. 9/10.

Inherent Will from Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2. Composer is Shoji Meguro, who's very well known for his works in Atlus with the SMT and Trauma Center series. Spoilers about the game in comments, so be warned if you ever want to try playing DDS2.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 pm
ALL RIGHT LETS BRING THIS BACK!

The piano gives a nice touch to the piece. It tells me of a story of some sad event going on or a peaceful time is rolling around now. I'm personally a bit of a sucker for the piano because it can be so beautiful. I'm not sure what it plays for, but it sounds fitting given its title. 9/10

Fear Factory from Donkey Kong Country shall be my piece. I've been looking back at this music so have fun!  

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 am
I'm pretty new to this.. So here we go! sweatdrop

Ohh! Donkey Kong Country. They have such awesome music!! ^_^

Alright, well this piece sounds very upbeat and intense. It's also very catchy too! At first there's just a few beats in the beginning but then it gets better as the music goes on. I really like that chilling and eerie aspect of the song. It really does feel like you're running for your life in a factory! 9/10

Hmm... I'll go with this piece Justice from Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, composed by Noriyuki Iwadare.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 am
That sounds like the theme for either a bombatstic character or a Big Damn Heroes moment. It certainly sounds nice, and I like the key change and the little bit of synth harp in the second half, but I feel like this song is too quiet. It just sort of mills about and has no real moments where the dynamics come in and bring it home. It feels like it's just hanging out at pre-climactic. It does get a little louder towards the end, but then it just goes back and doesn't really do as much with it. It does have louder and softer parts, which I notice when it goed back to the beginning of the song instead of during the song proper, but I feel like it doesn't really break the glass so much as just push up against it. I'll give it a 6/10.

Sad Monster- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, by Kumi Tanioka.  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm
Yeah, you're pretty spot on about the bombastic character part! xD

Anyways, this piece is quite creative. I'm not too much of a final fantasy person but this song is pretty nice. The song just starts out with a really awesome sounding intro. Then there's some bagpipes and drums to go along with it. The drumming fits with the song very well. In fact, this song kinda reminds me of a festival in some ways.. I really enjoyed the build up in the middle of the song it just sounded so menacing and sinister. I dunno if it's just me, but the song kinda feels it's supposed to uplift your spirits or something? It's probably because I've never played the game, but It sort of doesn't really fit the title of the song all too well..
But I'll give it an 8/10! xp

My piece will be Hyrule Castle from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, composed by Koji Kondo.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm
Hyrule Castle, huh? I don't even need to click the 'link' to know how it sounds (Haha pun. -shot-). It's great to see a Zelda song that aged well enough to generate remastered and remixed versions (Dark Hyrule Castle from Minish Cap, for instance).

It gives off that feel of nobility while holding some melancholy, possibly due to the events that would lead up to the reason why you're there. The synth drums and trumpets did a good job creating the mood for the song. 9/10

My next piece comes from a recent release to the Wii. I actually discovered this particular song just now sweatdrop , but holy crap... The song alone (and with some background checking on the game) really makes me want to try to play it.

The song in question is Exodus from Last Story, composed by Nobuo Uematsu.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:16 pm
The ominous feeling at the beginning. You know you aren't in for an easy battle. Whether or not that is true it is the feeling I am getting from it. This tells me that things will be interesting. Then once the lyrics come in this tells me that this is either an optional, hard fight or a part of the main journey. Whether or not I know that I do like the feeling to it. I could see myself charging many things with this playing in the background. 9/10

Memories from Dark Cloud. Not sure who composed the music for this game but enjoy!  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff