Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 pm
MarchingTwinkie3
Unfortunatly it's not a free pattern. It's in this book.

The pattern is for a hat; the only change I've made is that I'm using a cheaper, different fiber yarn that is the same weight as what the pattern calls for. The first spot where the strange instruction shows up is on row 4 and the "4 times" part appears 7 more times in the pattern. For the most part it's pretty straightforward, but that part makes no sense. If I work the 3rd and 4th times as a separate row everything gets all backwards and funky and it doesn't look like it should do that.

Do you suppose they just made a typo 8 times? Should I try continuing the project as if it was a typo and see what happens?

Poo, I don't have that book to reference. What weight of yarn are you using? Is the pattern supposed to go all the way around the brim or is it just a section in the front or back? Are you knitting in the round or flat? If you're knitting with worsted weight yarn, and the pattern is supposed to go around the whole hat, 48 stitches (which is the pattern snippet times 2) seems like too few for an adult hat. The 96 stitches of the pattern snippet times 4 seems much more likely and I'd say it's not a typo and that maybe you cast on too few stitches. If you did cast on 96 stitches, was there a row of decreasing that maybe you decreased too much at?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:21 pm
It's bulky weight yarn, knitted flat, and the pattern starts at the top of the hat. It said to cast on 52 stitches and the row before the one in question decreases by 4 to get the 48. Then there are make 1's later on.

I'm so confused. I'm keeping busy with another project, though, until I figure it out. gonk  

MarchingTwinkie3

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:30 pm
MarchingTwinkie3
It's bulky weight yarn, knitted flat, and the pattern starts at the top of the hat. It said to cast on 52 stitches and the row before the one in question decreases by 4 to get the 48. Then there are make 1's later on.

I'm so confused. I'm keeping busy with another project, though, until I figure it out. gonk

Hmm... Then go ahead and pretend it's all typos and they mean "2 times" instead. The worst that could happen is you have to rip it out, right? I'm really curious to hear how it turns out. I wish there was more I could tell you, but without having that book on hand, I'm kinda at a loss. *frown* I wish you well though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:02 am
Catcheen
MarchingTwinkie3

Hmm... Then go ahead and pretend it's all typos and they mean "2 times" instead. The worst that could happen is you have to rip it out, right? I'm really curious to hear how it turns out. I wish there was more I could tell you, but without having that book on hand, I'm kinda at a loss. *frown* I wish you well though.

Ok. Thank you anyway! biggrin  

MarchingTwinkie3

MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:41 am
I finally figured out what the deal is: the first 2 times the "4 times" thing appears it's a typo and should only be "twice". After that everything adds up with the "4 times".

Now we can all sleep peacefully. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm
MarchingTwinkie3
I finally figured out what the deal is: the first 2 times the "4 times" thing appears it's a typo and should only be "twice". After that everything adds up with the "4 times".

Now we can all sleep peacefully. whee

Oh good! I'm glad it worked out for ya!  

Catcheen
Crew

michailia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:42 am
This might seem like a silly question, but I'm new to kntting, and I was wondering; does the size of the needles make for a quicker or slower project?
I'm using 3 and one quarter mm needles, so I was just wondering.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:23 pm
Michailia
This might seem like a silly question, but I'm new to kntting, and I was wondering; does the size of the needles make for a quicker or slower project?

It kinda depends.... Say you're knitting a square of 5 inches. If you use tiny needles and tiny yarn, you might be getting about 40 stitches across. If you're using huge needles and huge yarn, you might get 10 stitches across. So in this case, yeah... bigger needles are a quicker project since it takes less time to knit 10 stitches than 30.

Now, say you found a cute hat pattern but want to make it for a doll, so you use smaller needles and smaller yarn, but otherwise follow the pattern exactly... it's going to take about the same amount of time as the larger needles since you're still knitting the same amount of stitches the whole way through.

That was probably far more info than you wanted, but I hope it answered your question! *grin*  

Catcheen
Crew

michailia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:31 pm
Catcheen
Michailia

It kinda depends.... Say you're knitting a square of 5 inches. If you use tiny needles and tiny yarn, you might be getting about 40 stitches across. If you're using huge needles and huge yarn, you might get 10 stitches across. So in this case, yeah... bigger needles are a quicker project since it takes less time to knit 10 stitches than 30.

Now, say you found a cute hat pattern but want to make it for a doll, so you use smaller needles and smaller yarn, but otherwise follow the pattern exactly... it's going to take about the same amount of time as the larger needles since you're still knitting the same amount of stitches the whole way through.

That was probably far more info than you wanted, but I hope it answered your question! *grin*

Thank you very much for the advice. 3nodding
I was just wondering, since my first knitting project is making multiple squares, and stitching them together for a nice quilt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:57 pm
I need help looking for a good wool yarn that would be kind to my pocket and that won't felt. Plus, I need it in black and green. As long as I can find the black at least would help a lot. Since red heart yarn won't block I'm in deperate need. Can you help????  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:29 am
AccentualWolf
I need help looking for a good wool yarn that would be kind to my pocket and that won't felt. Plus, I need it in black and green. As long as I can find the black at least would help a lot. Since red heart yarn won't block I'm in deperate need. Can you help????

I know just the yarn! It's by Lambs Pride and it's a worsted weight superwash wool and is one of the least expensive I've ever seen.

http://brownsheep.com/lps.htm

If you can't find that, there's always knitpicks and their swish superwash wool

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420153/yarn_display  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:35 am
Do you know any toutials for a eyemask ?  

littlemiss83

Eloquent Fairy

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:38 pm
littlemiss83
Do you know any toutials for a eyemask ?

Don't know of any tutorials, but here is a pattern

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTvelvetoblivion.html  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:00 pm
Thanks
What is it called when you are done a row of stiching on the left side and want to convert to the right needle ?  

littlemiss83

Eloquent Fairy

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:21 pm
littlemiss83
Thanks
What is it called when you are done a row of stiching on the left side and want to convert to the right needle ?

That would be when you turn it. Most patterns simply say "turn." If you're doing multiple rows and the pattern says something like "k 4 rows even" then the turning is implied.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff