Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am
I read a lot but lately I've been too busy to read as much as I'd like to sweatdrop I tend to read a lot of different kinds of books but if I had to pick a few I'd say Anne Rice, Tom Slemen, True crime, etc. I'll try anything once sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:04 am
I love to read. Always had and awlays will. You walk into my room and its a freaken library! Floor to ceiling high book cases jammed back with books. No manga found in ANY of those.The Jhonen Vasquez stuff is in the desk...

As for the music, I play the flute (4 years) the guitar (7 years) Piano (2 years) and bass (3 years)  

Stars_Tears

chulr

Friendly Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:09 am
I love reading. I've been reading Agatha Christie & Dean Kootz lately.
Murder & horror.

I don't play any instruments but I wish to learn the piano, drums, & guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:30 am
I read waaaay too much. In high school, I used to walk and read at the same time between classes, since the time in between was so boring.

He's a list of some of my fav books! (including some manga lol)

A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, The River King, The Joy Luck Club, Howl's Moving Castle, Coraline, Sabriel, Chromosome 6, The Cobra Event, The Hot Zone, The Lovely Bones, The Devil Wears Prada, Tokyo Babylon, Red River, Kitchen Confidential, Rats Saw GOD, Harry Potter, Alice the 19th, Fruits Basket, ES, MARS, The Plucker, Memoirs of a Geisha, Animorphs, Nana

And there ten bazillion other books that I need to add.  

MEOWITSTERRA

Mountain_Drew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:50 pm
I try to read, sometimes I only make it to about the third page before I get bored...
Some ones that I'm reading now (for school and enjoyment) are:

World Philosophies: 1000 essays in summary form
In Search of Meaning: Comparitive Study of World Religions
The complete works of Tennyson
The Poetry and Prose of William Blake
Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics -Erich Fromm
Myths To Live By -Joseph Campbell
The Republic -Plato
Nothing's Sacred -Lewis Black
The Hero with a Thousand Faces -Joseph Campbell
Tao Te Ching -Lao Tzu
The Vampire Codex -Michelle Belanger
The Malleus Maleficarum -Montague Summers

Some of my favorites have been:
Mists of Avalon -Marrion Zimmer Bradley
The Satanic Bible -Anton LaVey (10 goth points)
The Art of War -Sun Tzu
Queen of the Damned -Anne Rice
Proven Guilty -Jim Butcher
Alexandrian Book of Shadows
Gardnerian Book of Shadows
Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard
Anything by Emerson or Thoreau
*ahem* the "scottish" play -Shakespeare
Othello -Shakespeare
Lord of the Rings -J.R.R. Tolkien
The Screwtape Letters -C.S. Lewis
Mere Christianity -C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narna -C.S. Lewis
The Silmarillion -J.R.R. Tolkien
I thought the bible was a good read, specifically Ecclesiastes and James.

In case your wondering how the hell i'm reading so many books at once, like I said, I get bored easily. I have to switch back and forth.

I play the guitar, and a bit of piano. I can read (and write) sheet music, tabs, and chord symbols. ...damned Music Theory.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:58 am
Here is what I'm currently reading...

The Misanthrope (Morliere)
Septimus Felton (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

It's odd to be reading so few books right now... I'm used to reading at least seven at a time.  

DreamerSpirit

blackfoxi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:03 am
yes i read, and i don't just mean for school assignments that i am forced to do. some people don't belive me because i am an avid manga fan.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:55 am
I read anything and everything I can, at the moment I love Oscar Wilde, but because I'm in my last year of school reading time is scarce crying
I play the cello, bass guitar and sing, and I do write some music, some of it good, most of it not xd My friends and I do jams with music that we've written, but we're not really a band.  

blacktutu

2aetH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm
XWraith_LordX
"I didn't know listening to metal made you goth. I thought listening to goth rock made you goth. Listening to metal makes you a metalhead."
Never said it did man...listening to metal isn't a factor in deciding weather one is goth or not.

Yep. You were saying however, that many people put some black on and listen to black metal, and suddenly they think themselves to be Goth.

I hate to say it, but a good portion of the Goth subculture DID form on music, and it's not metal, it's Goth. The "Goth" genre, much like Punks listen to Punk music. xD

I'd also like to state that I don't really consider manga OR comics to be actual books, much like I don't consider plays to be books. Shakespeare wasn't an author, he was a playwright, etc.

Why? Because although you have a plot, and dialogue, you still need a certain amount of length before it can be considered a book, otherwise it'd be naught but a short story.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 am
Yes I read, and do so as often as posible. The other people in my year think I'm nuts because I read so much. I am reading Preditor turned pray by Ravyn Cresant at the moment.

I do play instraments, I taught myself piano and drums. I also wish to learn the guitar, either bass or electric.  

hybrid_13

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:41 am
My current goal is to read all the books listed in the Barnes and Noble Classics Collection. My favorites so far have been The Count of Monte Cristo and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:33 am
I try to read loads. I read fantasy and sci fi, Swords and Sorcery type stuff, mostly. (That's books where people fightt with real melee weapons and cast magic, go figure.) I think all real goths ARE geeky, there's noting wrong with heavy metal but all the delinquent "goths" are really punks or emos, I find.  

Mordrayne

Hunter of the Dammed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 am
XWraith_LordX
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?

I read more than i eat speak, and sleep combined. Yes i read alot of manga but i also read tons of other literature. For instance anyone here red RISSING SUN or maybe ONE DOORWAY TO HEAVEN both are two very good books. Im also read books on bussiness, martial arts, and things like that. Of course fantasy.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:26 pm
I read anime and other books im more of a sci/fi fantasy kind of guy though not realy the red badge of courage  

halo647

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:53 pm
I do! I like manga, but I get sick of it after a while. I'm currently reading Interview With The Vampire, and Twilight. I like vampire stories a lot.

I play an instrument! I've been playing a viola now for almost 3 years and counting. I love orchestra. <3

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff