Welcome to Gaia! ::

The ~TRUE AND OFFICIAL~ Lucky Star Guild [OVA IN SEPTEMBER!?

Back to Guilds

Reply ~MAIN PAGE~ Lucky☆Star Guild
Off-Topic Discussion's! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Onicept
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 pm
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
The_Great_Hero
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
The_Great_Hero
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
tl;dr

Oro?

too long; didn't read

Oh lol. Basically, we need a general RP thread, not exactly Lucky Star. Additionally, with my fortified ethereal barrier currently in effect, I can only be hurt if someone were to use both Excalibur and Enuma Elise at the same time. Basically.

ah.
well, i don't RP, so have fun with that. i did it once, as a joke, with some pokemon s**t.
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*Pat* *Pat* *Pat*

I used to RP, but the intention of this Guild isn't RPing. It is discussion. Also, RP guilds or Guilds with RPs in them usually get less Members and stuff, cause not everyone wants to RP.

...at least you have influence.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:45 pm
Onicept
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
The_Great_Hero
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
The_Great_Hero
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate
tl;dr

Oro?

too long; didn't read

Oh lol. Basically, we need a general RP thread, not exactly Lucky Star. Additionally, with my fortified ethereal barrier currently in effect, I can only be hurt if someone were to use both Excalibur and Enuma Elise at the same time. Basically.

ah.
well, i don't RP, so have fun with that. i did it once, as a joke, with some pokemon s**t.
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*Pat* *Pat* *Pat*

I used to RP, but the intention of this Guild isn't RPing. It is discussion. Also, RP guilds or Guilds with RPs in them usually get less Members and stuff, cause not everyone wants to RP.

...at least you have influence.

of course, a subforum could always work for those few that do want to RP.  

aughgh
Crew

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
-don't do it-
Too bad only about 5? people would like to RP.

Oh and... Where the heck is Konata and Lou Lou?

Respect Makoto Shinkai...Do yourself a favor, watch his films.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm
The_Great_Hero
We're talking about weapons and stuff from Fate/Stay Night that could break my fortified ethereal barrier. Looking at the descriptions that 0cean gave us, it appears Avalon gives a similar effect of my barrier, except that its portable and is only immune to physical destruction from any plane. In comparison, it sacrifices ethereal protection for mobility.

Excalibur isn't exactly ethereal, but more celestial. What ethereal composition it does possess is derived from its overly celestial powers, therefore being something between a minor and moderate ethereal weapon. When using its full power, it could be classified as a moderate attack. However, if the wielder is strong enough, the attack can be strengthened to the point where it can begin to damage the ethereal barrier. Even then, though, it would require a number of these fully powered strikes to break the barrier.

Enuma Elish is actually weaker than Excalibur when attacking my barrier. It is not celestial, but rather destructive and almost demonic. These classes do not usually pull energy from the ethereal realm, but instead from perpetual destructive force. That is, the more destruction, the more power. This causes a severe lack of ethereal energy present in the weapon, therefore being classified as a minor or even below minor ethereal attack.

Now, there are also ways around the ethereal barrier by utilizing such weapons. If one were to get both Excalibur and the Enuma Elish and have significant strength, a joint attack by both blades could completely destroy my ethereal barrier. Due to their energetic oppositry (is that a word?), it could cause a simultaneous energy collapse and massive concentration of rogue energy in one area. Additionally, their physical and core energetic attack effects will directly affect this area of rogue energy, expanding and strengthening the "black hole effect" cause by it. This would completely destroy the ethereal barrier, due to the vast weakening of the barrier's defensive qualities through the rogue energy. This would also kill or severely damage the occupant. However, the wielder of the two blades may also die or suffer greatly from this attack, and the weapons may be destroyed or weakened. As such, this usually only works well when an ethereal familiar uses the joint attack. Because he is an ethereal familiar, all ethereal damage will be negated on both him and anything he has equipped.

Therefore, you can't break my barrier without using both weapons. Have fun trying to do that, lol.

Pfft, why go for brute force? The first thing that came to mind for me was Caster's Rule Breaker. It's an easy way around forcing through the barrier

~

Rule Breaker (ルールブレイカー, Rūru Bureikā): All Codes Must be Destroyed (破戒すべき全ての符, Hakai subeki subete no fu)
Type: Anti-Unit.
An iridescent and jagged dagger with no exceptional offensive properties, though it possesses the unique ability of dispelling any sorcery cast upon a pierced target. This knife reduces enchantments, sorcerous contracts, and spiritual bodies to their component materials. However, Rule Breaker is ineffective against other Noble Phantasms.

~

Basically, it will dispel your barrier, and then if I had previously used Caster to summon another servant [which, since Caster is a magus, allows her to summon her own servant], such as Lancer, I could use that opening to use his Gae Bolg. It's a very interesting skill.

~

Gáe Bolg (ゲイ・ボルク, Gei Boruku): The Spear of Impaling Barbed Death (刺し穿つ死棘の槍, Sashi ugatsu shikyoku no yari)
An ability that inverts the concept of causality, creating a phenomenon where the spear is thrust only after it has made contact with a target. When the true name of Gáe Bolg is invoked, the opponent has already been pierced before the attack is initiated, regardless of the path the strike must follow to reach its target. Agility is meaningless in avoiding this ability; the only defense is a high degree of luck, which alters fate ahead of time. In spite of this destiny-interference property and its accuracy, use of Gáe Bolg is economical, consuming so little Mana it can be used seven times without pause for recharge. This weapon derives its name from Gáe Bolg, the barbed spear of Cú Chulainn.

~

Are you making this up as you go along? You have yet to actually define your definition of ethereal powers and the difference between that and celestial.

GeebusKermas
Crew

The_Great_Hero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 pm
0ceanBlue
The_Great_Hero
We're talking about weapons and stuff from Fate/Stay Night that could break my fortified ethereal barrier. Looking at the descriptions that 0cean gave us, it appears Avalon gives a similar effect of my barrier, except that its portable and is only immune to physical destruction from any plane. In comparison, it sacrifices ethereal protection for mobility.

Excalibur isn't exactly ethereal, but more celestial. What ethereal composition it does possess is derived from its overly celestial powers, therefore being something between a minor and moderate ethereal weapon. When using its full power, it could be classified as a moderate attack. However, if the wielder is strong enough, the attack can be strengthened to the point where it can begin to damage the ethereal barrier. Even then, though, it would require a number of these fully powered strikes to break the barrier.

Enuma Elish is actually weaker than Excalibur when attacking my barrier. It is not celestial, but rather destructive and almost demonic. These classes do not usually pull energy from the ethereal realm, but instead from perpetual destructive force. That is, the more destruction, the more power. This causes a severe lack of ethereal energy present in the weapon, therefore being classified as a minor or even below minor ethereal attack.

Now, there are also ways around the ethereal barrier by utilizing such weapons. If one were to get both Excalibur and the Enuma Elish and have significant strength, a joint attack by both blades could completely destroy my ethereal barrier. Due to their energetic oppositry (is that a word?), it could cause a simultaneous energy collapse and massive concentration of rogue energy in one area. Additionally, their physical and core energetic attack effects will directly affect this area of rogue energy, expanding and strengthening the "black hole effect" cause by it. This would completely destroy the ethereal barrier, due to the vast weakening of the barrier's defensive qualities through the rogue energy. This would also kill or severely damage the occupant. However, the wielder of the two blades may also die or suffer greatly from this attack, and the weapons may be destroyed or weakened. As such, this usually only works well when an ethereal familiar uses the joint attack. Because he is an ethereal familiar, all ethereal damage will be negated on both him and anything he has equipped.

Therefore, you can't break my barrier without using both weapons. Have fun trying to do that, lol.

Pfft, why go for brute force? The first thing that came to mind for me was Caster's Rule Breaker. It's an easy way around forcing through the barrier

~

Rule Breaker (ルールブレイカー, Rūru Bureikā): All Codes Must be Destroyed (破戒すべき全ての符, Hakai subeki subete no fu)
An iridescent and jagged dagger with no exceptional offensive properties, though it possesses the unique ability of dispelling any sorcery cast upon a pierced target. This knife reduces enchantments, sorcerous contracts, and spiritual bodies to their component materials. However, Rule Breaker is ineffective against other Noble Phantasms.

~

Basically, it will dispel your barrier, and then if I had previously used Caster to summon another servant [which, since Caster is a magus, allows her to summon her own servant], such as Lancer, I could use that opening to use his Gae Bolg. It's a very interesting skill.

~

Gáe Bolg (ゲイ・ボルク, Gei Boruku): The Spear of Impaling Barbed Death (刺し穿つ死棘の槍, Sashi ugatsu shikyoku no yari)
An ability that inverts the concept of causality, creating a phenomenon where the spear is thrust only after it has made contact with a target. When the true name of Gáe Bolg is invoked, the opponent has already been pierced before the attack is initiated, regardless of the path the strike must follow to reach its target. Agility is meaningless in avoiding this ability; the only defense is a high degree of luck, which alters fate ahead of time. In spite of this destiny-interference property and its accuracy, use of Gáe Bolg is economical, consuming so little Mana it can be used seven times without pause for recharge. This weapon derives its name from Gáe Bolg, the barbed spear of Cú Chulainn.

~

Are you making this up as you go along? You have yet to actually define your definition of ethereal powers and the difference between that and celestial.

Damn Rule Breaker breaking the rules LOL. Definitions? Sure. I'll give you a condensed form of the multiple definitions I've seen pertinent to this discussion.

Ethereal is derived from the Ethereal Realm, which is a somewhat chaotic realm where most magic is derived from. Something possessing the quality of being ethereal is basically an object with pure magic.

Celestial is a different type of magic that involves one's heart and purity more than their mind. Essentially your faith-driven holy magic.

Destructive is another type of magic, usually best associated with fire mages. It is resemblant of a chaotic force that, well, destroys. Can't really say much here.

Demonic is your evil magic, the counter to Celestial. This involves one's heart and wickedness.

Any sort of power derived from these categories takes on the characteristics of its derivation.

Now, for us to look at smaller categories of magic, which take up collectively about 2% of all magic.

Illusion is a sort of mind bending magic. You bend minds with it.

Necromancy is different from Demonic magic in the way that it simply involves blood and undeath, not evil. Necromancy is also a term used to define Demonic magic that was used for the purposes of good.

Restoration is the counter to Necromancy.

Sorcery includes all other magic. Sorcery and Ethereal magic are VERY close together, the only difference being where their powers come from. Usually sorcery involves a more forced, intelligent ability to draw power from the current world. As such, sorcery can be easily learned and draws off of terrestrial energy; essentially Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water. Ethereal magic is more of a naturally attained magical prowess, which only appears in a few children at birth. Children that absorb this power are usually born during a time where a slight rift between the Ethereal Realm and the Terrestrial Realm exists for some reason, usually as a result of war. As such, this power can't be gained through education. However, many people may have dormant ethereal powers, which can be brought out and strengthened with help from an experienced ethereal magician. In that respect, education and training can help build ethereal prowess.

Concerning Rule Breaker, since it can dispel sorcery, it can actually slightly damage my fortified ethereal barrier. Due to the immense closeness between the two types of magic, the Rule Breaker can focus on the same magical bonds, which therefore damage my barrier, probably more than you could with either the Enuma Elise or the Excalibur separately. However, because the ethereal barrier draws its energy from the Ethereal Realm, the Rule Breaker's ability can be countered by chaotic ethereal force that is emitted when any ethereal bond breaks. That is, if anything ethereal is damaged, it emits a chaotic energy signifying its damage. However, I would guess that it would take the Rule Breaker about three good hits to break the barrier. Even then, I can just walk away.

I wish I could make this stuff up. Too bad the D&D guys as wells as the rest of the Internet already beat me to it. Surprisingly, this discussion doesn't follow much of the D&D magical guidelines, especially with Noble Phantasms in this.

By the way, you addressed spiritual bodies in your description of the Rule Breaker. Spiritual usually falls into either Celestial or Demonic.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 pm
Sorry for double post, but I forgot to address something and its too much of a hassle to edit.

If you have a great amount of either Celestial or Restoration magic condensed into a single area (i.e. Excalibur), a small amount of ethereal energy is created in order to support the balance and existence of those powers. On the other side of the coin, a great amount of either Demonic or Necromantic magic creates a small amount of Sorcerous energy. I don't even know how that works, but the Internet says so, so it must be true!

LOL  

The_Great_Hero

GeebusKermas
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Eh? D&D, huh?

I guess we can't really compare those two, since they involve two completely different scenarios. I don't think the Type-MOON world has many different types of sorcery, so Rule Breaker's definition encompasses all types of magic in the Type-MOON world [considering it not only affects magic, but can affect Servant abilities, such as Saber's magic resistance].

But I don't understand why the Rule Breaker would be countered by chaotic ethereal force. Rule Breaker doesn't dispel magic by inflicting damage on the bonds. It's the basic property of the Rule Breaker which allow it to dissolve magic once it pierces. You can negate the damage you get from the pierce [although it's minimal anyways], but you can't negate a property with a force.

Aside from that, just because I addressed spiritual bodies doesn't mean I only addressed spiritual bodies. Dispelling any sorcery is similar to dispelling enchantments or artifacts in Magic the Gathering. Since your barrier can be considered an enchantment, Rule Breaker would dispel it.

And something I just realized, your interpretation of Avalon's powers are flawed due to the fact that the physical plane doesn't refer to physical attacks but to the physical dimension [or world] altogether, which I'm assuming your magic operates under. It's like the Basilica [Ragnarok Online reference] of Type-MOON. You can't receive damage under it, and you probably can't mount offensives under it, but then that's inferring based on comparison.

But honestly, we can't compare this too well because the worlds are so different.

Oh, and they're Wiki's definitions, not mine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 pm
0ceanBlue

Eh? D&D, huh?

I guess we can't really compare those two, since they involve two completely different scenarios. I don't think the Type-MOON world has many different types of sorcery, so Rule Breaker's definition encompasses all types of magic in the Type-MOON world [considering it not only affects magic, but can affect Servant abilities, such as Saber's magic resistance].

But I don't understand why the Rule Breaker would be countered by chaotic ethereal force. Rule Breaker doesn't dispel magic by inflicting damage on the bonds. It's the basic property of the Rule Breaker which allow it to dissolve magic once it pierces. You can negate the damage you get from the pierce [although it's minimal anyways], but you can't negate a property with a force.

Aside from that, just because I addressed spiritual bodies doesn't mean I only addressed spiritual bodies. Dispelling any sorcery is similar to dispelling enchantments or artifacts in Magic the Gathering. Since your barrier can be considered an enchantment, Rule Breaker would dispel it.

And something I just realized, your interpretation of Avalon's powers are flawed due to the fact that the physical plane doesn't refer to physical attacks but to the physical dimension [or world] altogether, which I'm assuming your magic operates under. It's like the Basilica [Ragnarok Online reference] of Type-MOON. You can't receive damage under it, and you probably can't mount offensives under it, but then that's inferring based on comparison.

But honestly, we can't compare this too well because the worlds are so different.

I did more extensive research and just strung together the basic similarities that exist is pretty much all fantasy worlds under this general genre.

Hmm, I guess I did screw up with Avalon.

BTW, this really isn't D&D vs Type-MOON, but rather general fantasy vs Type-MOON. In that world, I could very well have set up the weakest barrier ever.

The barrier isn't an enchantment because it covers a specific area, which doesn't exactly apply to me, which therefore classifies it as a normal spell. I don't think its an Artifact either due to it being a spell.

Well, it has to pierce, right? Plus, magic doesn't just dissolve; it has to go somewhere, right? Basically, anything that happens to ethereal magic that destroys it, which dissolving probably falls under, causes an emission of chaotic ethereal force at the location of the damage/dissolution. That force wouldn't directly counter the Rule Breaker's ability directly. Instead, it would negate the dagger's ability to follow through with its attack, due to the chaotic ethereal force cancelling the physical force. Its like normal resistance.

Now, remember that this is a magical force causing the cancellation, thus giving a different reaction than that of a normal resistance. Normally, something that comes across too much resistance stops its movement and doesn't move unless something causes it to do so. With this chaotic ethereal force, it also prevents something from moving the resisted object for a short amount of time, slowly building up any force that may still be applied to push through the resistance. After a short while, this collected force can be expelled to push back the opponent.

If this were a real battle, and you were attacking with the Rule Breaker, your first strike would probably pierce through about a quarter of the barrier before pushing you back. Another lunge would take you through about a third through the barrier before your repulsion. A final strike would fully collapse the barrier.

I did some research on Type-MOON as well as Rule Breaker in particular, and found that, through a bunch of logic and crap that I don't really want to waste my time typing down, the Rule Breaker can break my barrier in three strikes as described above.

So, in summary:

My fortified ethereal barrier can only be broken by two ways presented in this discussion - A) The Excalibur and Enuma Elish are used in a joint attack that will destroy the barrier, at the cost of everything around it; or B) Stab, stab, stab with the Rule Breaker.

...Dang Rule Breaker is breaking the rules.  

The_Great_Hero

aughgh
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:31 am
back to the tl;dr posts, I see.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:35 pm
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate

Yup. If there was a way I could make this an uber long post just for fun I would, but 1) it would be like spam and 2) its too hard to think of something relevant anyways.  

The_Great_Hero

NiaPryce

Versatile Seeker

3,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:27 pm
ugh, i hate sickness, sucks bad....REALLY BAD

plus i can't find anything good to watch/ DL  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:44 pm
The_Great_Hero
0ceanBlue

Eh? D&D, huh?

I did more extensive research and just strung together the basic similarities that exist is pretty much all fantasy worlds under this general genre.

BTW, this really isn't D&D vs Type-MOON, but rather general fantasy vs Type-MOON. In that world, I could very well have set up the weakest barrier ever.

The barrier isn't an enchantment because it covers a specific area, which doesn't exactly apply to me, which therefore classifies it as a normal spell. I don't think its an Artifact either due to it being a spell.

Well, it has to pierce, right? Plus, magic doesn't just dissolve; it has to go somewhere, right? Basically, anything that happens to ethereal magic that destroys it, which dissolving probably falls under, causes an emission of chaotic ethereal force at the location of the damage/dissolution. That force wouldn't directly counter the Rule Breaker's ability directly. Instead, it would negate the dagger's ability to follow through with its attack, due to the chaotic ethereal force cancelling the physical force. Its like normal resistance.

Now, remember that this is a magical force causing the cancellation, thus giving a different reaction than that of a normal resistance. Normally, something that comes across too much resistance stops its movement and doesn't move unless something causes it to do so. With this chaotic ethereal force, it also prevents something from moving the resisted object for a short amount of time, slowly building up any force that may still be applied to push through the resistance. After a short while, this collected force can be expelled to push back the opponent.

If this were a real battle, and you were attacking with the Rule Breaker, your first strike would probably pierce through about a quarter of the barrier before pushing you back. Another lunge would take you through about a third through the barrier before your repulsion. A final strike would fully collapse the barrier.

I did some research on Type-MOON as well as Rule Breaker in particular, and found that, through a bunch of logic and crap that I don't really want to waste my time typing down, the Rule Breaker can break my barrier in three strikes as described above.

So, in summary:

My fortified ethereal barrier can only be broken by two ways presented in this discussion - A) The Excalibur and Enuma Elish are used in a joint attack that will destroy the barrier, at the cost of everything around it; or B) Stab, stab, stab with the Rule Breaker.

Ah, I see. I assumed that you were saying that the Rule Breaker's ability would be negated by the force, but you're saying that it wouldn't go all the way through the barrier before it got pushed back, right?

I'm curious about this now. How about the Gáe Bolg? The concept under that is that by using it, the person is stabbed in the future, and events are altered so that it stabs. That way, unless you have a high amount of luck, it inevitably stabs you because you have already been stabbed in the future.

GeebusKermas
Crew

aughgh
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm
The_Great_Hero
Fig Leaf Bi Carbonate

Yup. If there was a way I could make this an uber long post just for fun I would, but 1) it would be like spam and 2) its too hard to think of something relevant anyways.

i could do it. probably.
but something completely off the topic you're both talking about.

whatever it is. i haven't read a word.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:38 pm
0ceanBlue
The_Great_Hero
0ceanBlue

Eh? D&D, huh?

So, in summary:

Ah, I see. I assumed that you were saying that the Rule Breaker's ability would be negated by the force, but you're saying that it wouldn't go all the way through the barrier before it got pushed back, right?

I'm curious about this now. How about the Gáe Bolg? The concept under that is that by using it, the person is stabbed in the future, and events are altered so that it stabs. That way, unless you have a high amount of luck, it inevitably stabs you because you have already been stabbed in the future.

Dang, I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up. 'Cause that pretty much beats me unless I use a luck spell, which is usually celestial. Of course, as an esper and not a mage or monk that can cast that, I'm screwed.

I laugh at the name of that spear. I always read it as Gay Blog, even though I believe that the Gae is pronounced differently. Darn, how do you manage to get the accents on letters?  

The_Great_Hero

Miss Mentis

Lazy Egg

41,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:03 pm
Isn't Gae pronounced Guy
I think this because Gaea is pronounced the same as Gaia.  
~MAIN PAGE~ Lucky☆Star Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff