Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am
Something kind of interesting caught my eye- some people say they "use" gods, it always strikes me as really odd.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm
Esiris
Something kind of interesting caught my eye- some people say they "use" gods, it always strikes me as really odd.
I mean "work-with" sweatdrop  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:25 pm
oOGarrettOo
Esiris
I mean "work-with" sweatdrop

If you said "use"- I didn't see it, but the person who said it comes across as "I'll make the gods help me!" asking for spells and stuff. That kind of thing works with some gods and spirits, but I don't think it works like that with all of them.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 pm
Esiris
That always annoys that crap out of me when people say that. You don't "use" the gods. They're not something we can own. And they're not like trading cards or some collectable item. If anything we can't completely understand Them. We're not the ones in power. We may think we are as a race but we're not. We didn't create ourselves out of nothing like They did. They are not there for us to use. We are here for Them not the other way around. They are not tools. Its the same with any other supernatural being. We can't use spirits. We ask them for help.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:30 pm
Esiris
If you said "use"- I didn't see it, but the person who said it comes across as "I'll make the gods help me!" asking for spells and stuff. That kind of thing works with some gods and spirits, but I don't think it works like that with all of them.
Sometimes I'll say "I don't use deities", but what I'm intending to mean is that I don't work with them.

But what you're saying bothers me, too. I'm of the opinion that if someone is going to be working spells they should know what they're doing and what they want to accomplish before they ask any deities for assistance.

I guess that's just my twisted, newfangled idea that witches should be responsible and well learned, though, so who the hell knows.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 pm
oOGarrettOo
Sometimes I'll say "I don't use deities", but what I'm intending to mean is that I don't work with them.

But what you're saying bothers me, too. I'm of the opinion that if someone is going to be working spells they should know what they're doing and what they want to accomplish before they ask any deities for assistance.

I guess that's just my twisted, newfangled idea that witches should be responsible and well learned, though, so who the hell knows.

There are some spirits and maybe deities that are there to help people- but at the same time, I view it as a "I'm working with them" instead of "I'm going to make them do what I want". sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
And they're not like trading cards or some collectable item.
>.>...I just got this hilarious mental image of a couple kids sitting on the floor, one with a Greek deck of cards, the other Norse, playing it like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

"Zues, I choose you!"

I'm awful, I know, but you have to admit it's kinda funny xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm
Esiris
There are some spirits and maybe deities that are there to help people- but at the same time, I view it as a "I'm working with them" instead of "I'm going to make them do what I want". sweatdrop
It should be working with, and the person working with them should have at least basic knowledge of the deity they're contacting for assistance. There should also be offerings/sacrifices involved for the deity in question.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 pm
Esiris

Maybe they're chaos magicians? At least, if my understanding of chaos magic is correct, a chaos magician chooses to believe in Aphrodite, say, for the duration of a ritual to attract love, but only for the duration of that ritual, so in a sense wouldn't they be using Aphrodite? 'Course, my knowledge of how chaos magic works is fuzzy, at best.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:57 pm
Katefox Tarnagona
Esiris

Maybe they're chaos magicians? At least, if my understanding of chaos magic is correct, a chaos magician chooses to believe in Aphrodite, say, for the duration of a ritual to attract love, but only for the duration of that ritual, so in a sense wouldn't they be using Aphrodite? 'Course, my knowledge of how chaos magic works is fuzzy, at best.

I wouldn't call that ethical- and while I don't work with or worship Greek goddesses, I'd be surprised if they'd respond the way the magician would want. I think in cases like that people are probably not working with gods as much as they're calling on their own power and talking about it like it's the god or goddess.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 pm
oOGarrettOo
>.>...I just got this hilarious mental image of a couple kids sitting on the floor, one with a Greek deck of cards, the other Norse, playing it like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

"Zues, I choose you!"

I'm awful, I know, but you have to admit it's kinda funny xd
whee Ah that's hilarious.

"I'll trade you my Ra for your Odin."

"Nah."

"What if I throw in my Epona?"

"Sure! I need one of Her!"

Oh Esiris! I watched that video. That was funny.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:01 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Reminds me of Fluffymon cards ninja  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 pm
oOGarrettOo
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Reminds me of Fluffymon cards ninja
Fluffymon? Seriously?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 pm
Katefox Tarnagona
Esiris

Unless I'm wrong, I know very very little about chaos magicians, I thought they didn't work with the gods. And that if they did it were the "evil" deities like Set or Anpu or Hades.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 pm
Esiris
Katefox Tarnagona
Esiris

I wouldn't call that ethical- and while I don't work with or worship Greek goddesses, I'd be surprised if they'd respond the way the magician would want. I think in cases like that people are probably not working with gods as much as they're calling on their own power and talking about it like it's the god or goddess.

Well, I wouldn't expect a God or Goddess to take kindly to that, either. And it's certainly not something I'm planning to try. I, personally, can't imagine using a God for anything; I don't think They work that way. I'm just saying that's the one case I can think of where talking about using a God would make some kind of sense.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games