Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DJ_blak jak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:54 pm
I am a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe. I enjoy his prose as much as his poetry. There is hardly a story of his I do not enjoy and I have a hard time choosing a favorite!

Anything by Poe is not just a book of the week thing, it is an all-time, every day treat! smile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:39 am
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. <3 I think it's has a great story-line with good writing.

g o h s t i e

latina2012

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:10 pm
Showdown by Ted Dekker
Where fiction becomes reality.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:25 pm
One of my favorite books is called ' Where the red fern grows'
it's very good.  

freegiver101

Mia Marx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:56 pm
How about Brave New World by Aldous Huxley?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:03 am
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

It is by far the best book I have ever read. It makes you think, and that's what I love. It makes you wonder about why people do certain things, act certain ways, etc. It keeps you interested throughout the whole book, and trust me, there are plenty of surprises. I've recommended it to numerous friends of mine, and they told me they loved it.

His writing style is fabulous. I plan on reading Choke next.

Some other books by Chuck Palahniuk that you may have heard of, and are worth reading are:

Fiction:

Fight Club. - Also adapted into a film of the same name.
Choke.
Insomnia: If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Already.
Survivor.
Lullaby.
Diary.
Haunted.
Rant. - To be released this upcoming May.
Zarour Files. - To be released this upcoming October.

Non-Fiction:

Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon.
Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories.

C y a n i d e[C a n d y

Bladia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Noughts and Crosses by (I think) Malorie Blackman
It talks about a world where racism is reversed. It's pretty well written, and is very insightful. It also has a sequel, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
dark_elf
The newest Pendragon book, its the 7th but very sadly I can't remember what it is called and more sad is I can't read it because I have the paperbacks and the new one is a hard cover. gonk
Also "Pygmalion" by George Bernard Shaw is good right now.

BTW is it "sadder" or "more sad"?

"The Quillian Games"? I read a bit of it; it wasn't too intriguing to me.. ^_^;;

(It's "sadder".)

Shigures Editor

m a d c a p .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 am
The Demonata series by Darren Shan is astounding.

And I have to agree with -[.Lady.Killer.]-, Chucky P. is one of the best writers I've ever read. My personal favorites of his are Fight Club (ten times better than the movie), and Guts (a short story appearing in Haunted).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 pm
"This Lullaby" by : Sarah Dessen. My favorite author. This is my third book of hers I have read. May I suggest others like Someone Like You and Just Listen.  

GummiBear13

Kiwee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:03 pm
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Not the best work of literature I've read and certainly doesn't have the most interesting (or believable) characters, but the story just pulled me right in. Wouldn't recommend it for people looking for a sophisticated piece, but a fun romp when you've got an extra hour on you hands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:57 pm
Twilight and New Moon.  

CHicKeNy Corpse

Lengna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:46 pm
Anything Piers Anthony, but mostly the Xanth novels.

Trust me, they are awsome. If you can look past the puns, or even if you can't. heart

http://www.hipiers.com/  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 am
Kiwee
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Not the best work of literature I've read and certainly doesn't have the most interesting (or believable) characters, but the story just pulled me right in. Wouldn't recommend it for people looking for a sophisticated piece, but a fun romp when you've got an extra hour on you hands.

I disagree.
"Twilight" was wonderful and the characters were very interesting.
I recommend that book to readers of all kinds.  

SamiSayWhat

2,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250

SamiSayWhat

2,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:19 am
Now, if we are looking for a sophisticated book, I will say "The Odyssey" by Homer.
But, if we are not, then I will recommend the whole entire Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale. It is a wonderful and capturing book. I think everyone will like it. I know I did heart  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff