Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

littlemiss83

Eloquent Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:00 pm
Ok Thank you  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:03 pm
I want to thank you for your advice for the wool yarn. Sadly to say I was not able to get either since the yarn shop closest to me did not have any. (plus it is about an hour away. That is one trip I will never forget.) I did find some yarn that won't felt if hand washed and unlike anything I knit for my brother, he would throw it into the washer in a heart beat, I can do it without complaining. Not only that I have some adive I learned form the shops owner about knitting. If there is some one else like me who had been miss guided to knit into the back of your work in a manor to become quicker. DON'T DO IT! It will twist your stitches and make your 1x1,2x2, and stocknet stitch pattern look on uniformed and sloppy. If you catch some one knitting through the back for the love of knitting stop them. They will thank you later. Thanks again Ms. Knitty. Your the best.  

AccentualWolf

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:20 am
AccentualWolf
I want to thank you for your advice for the wool yarn. Sadly to say I was not able to get either since the yarn shop closest to me did not have any. (plus it is about an hour away. That is one trip I will never forget.) I did find some yarn that won't felt if hand washed and unlike anything I knit for my brother, he would throw it into the washer in a heart beat, I can do it without complaining. Not only that I have some adive I learned form the shops owner about knitting. If there is some one else like me who had been miss guided to knit into the back of your work in a manor to become quicker. DON'T DO IT! It will twist your stitches and make your 1x1,2x2, and stocknet stitch pattern look on uniformed and sloppy. If you catch some one knitting through the back for the love of knitting stop them. They will thank you later. Thanks again Ms. Knitty. Your the best.

*blush* Thanks. *blush more* That's really sweet of you!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:04 pm
YouTube has some great videos about knitting  

littlemiss83

Eloquent Fairy

tokyofro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:34 pm
Hi! I really hope you can help me! I'm very new to knitting and I purchased a book (Maran Illustrated Knitting & Crocheting) that explained pretty well (at least to me) on how to get started.

After I got the basic knit and purl thing down, I moved on to try some of the designs. I kinda understand how the abbreviations work so far, but I've come across a few beginner's patterns that say things like

"Cast on a multiple of 10 stitches (10, 20, 30, etc.), plus 6 stitches."

I understand everything except the "plus 6 stitches" bit. Does it just mean 16, 26, 36, etc.? (and if they did, I wish they would have just said so! haha.) I kinda figured that if it is the case that you just cast it on, say, 16 or so, they probably worded it that way just in case people can't count properly sweatdrop

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:38 pm
tokyofro
Hi! I really hope you can help me! I'm very new to knitting and I purchased a book (Maran Illustrated Knitting & Crocheting) that explained pretty well (at least to me) on how to get started.

After I got the basic knit and purl thing down, I moved on to try some of the designs. I kinda understand how the abbreviations work so far, but I've come across a few beginner's patterns that say things like

I understand everything except the "plus 6 stitches" bit. Does it just mean 16, 26, 36, etc.? (and if they did, I wish they would have just said so! haha.) I kinda figured that if it is the case that you just cast it on, say, 16 or so, they probably worded it that way just in case people can't count properly sweatdrop

Ahh... this took me a while to figure out myself. I used to wonder the same thing. It's for when you're making something with multiple repeats of the pattern. Say you're making something and want 5 pattern repeats across. You'd cast on 10 x 5 = 50 stitches, plus the six... so 56. If you only wanted 4 across, you'd cast on 10 x 4 = 40 plus 6, so 46. If you wanted 100 across, you'd cast on 10 x 100 = 1000 plus the 6, so 1006. *grin* Does that clear it up for you a bit? If you need more examples, feel free to ask!  

Catcheen
Crew

tokyofro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:20 pm
Catcheen
tokyofro

Ahh... this took me a while to figure out myself. I used to wonder the same thing. It's for when you're making something with multiple repeats of the pattern. Say you're making something and want 5 pattern repeats across. You'd cast on 10 x 5 = 50 stitches, plus the six... so 56. If you only wanted 4 across, you'd cast on 10 x 4 = 40 plus 6, so 46. If you wanted 100 across, you'd cast on 10 x 100 = 1000 plus the 6, so 1006. *grin* Does that clear it up for you a bit? If you need more examples, feel free to ask!

Oh okay! Thank you so much!! Now I can move to a new pattern. heart

It's so nice of you to put so much time and effort into your answers, and to helping everyone out! So thank you for that too, I'm sure everyone really appreciates you. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:43 pm
I have a question. I have a couple of cool pics of my finished cross-stich projects but I don't know how to put them on a post. Is the only way to go through photobucket?  

ShyBFly

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:54 pm
ShyBFly
I have a question. I have a couple of cool pics of my finished cross-stich projects but I don't know how to put them on a post. Is the only way to go through photobucket?

This is more for knitting questions, but I'll tell you what I know. Find a host for your photos like photobucket. Upload the photos there. To link them, click the IMG button right up top when you're making a post. Put the URL of the hosted picture in the pop-up and it'll do all the work for you.

I'm not really sure how photobucket works since I host my photos on my own domain.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:55 pm
Oh great! Thank you. mrgreen  

ShyBFly

Yugure no Tasogare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:16 am
I'm trying to make a pattern from a picture, but I don't know how to go about it. I'm trying to get a grid over the image, does anyone have any advice on how to do so?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:26 am
Yugure no Tasogare
I'm trying to make a pattern from a picture, but I don't know how to go about it. I'm trying to get a grid over the image, does anyone have any advice on how to do so?

If you're talking about making an intarsia chart to knit from, this is the place to go.

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/  

Catcheen
Crew

Yugure no Tasogare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:41 pm
when I try using it... the image doesn't look like the image anymore....  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:19 am
Yugure no Tasogare
when I try using it... the image doesn't look like the image anymore....

Could you describe what you mean by that?  

Catcheen
Crew

Yugure no Tasogare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:55 pm
instead of looking like a dragon... it just looks like a blob of grey ^^;;;  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items