Hot Topic "poser-ish"?
  Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:14 pm
Is it just me or did Hot Topic go emo in the last couple of months?

seriously, I decided to check their site out a while back (2 years?) and it was all cheap, halloween crap aimed at goths.

Now, they seemed to have jumped to the next best thing, emo and scene.

I think a lot of their jewerly and clothing looks really cheap and I've heard its very badly made.

Although I liked this one blazer from there...

But being Canadian I've never actually been to a Hot Topic so I can't really judge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:57 pm
Cockroach Waltz

seriously, I decided to check their site out a while back (2 years?) and it was all cheap, halloween crap aimed at goths.

I think a lot of their jewerly and clothing looks really cheap and I've heard its very badly made.

But being Canadian I've never actually been to a Hot Topic so I can't really judge.

Hot Topic didn't go from goth to emo. They were never goth in any way, and to this day, they are neither goth nor emo in any way. They just went from mainstream trend 1 to mainstream trend 2.  

GilAskan
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:10 pm
GilAskan
Cockroach Waltz

Hot Topic didn't go from goth to emo. They were never goth in any way, and to this day, they are neither goth nor emo in any way. They just went from mainstream trend 1 to mainstream trend 2.

Both switchovers done without much research on what they were trying to market.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:25 pm
ugh. My girlfriend and my sister teamed up and dragged me into hot topic the other day. It seems like every time I go there, all the stuff in there is cheaper and flimsier than the last time I looked. sweatdrop  

UraniumMonk

Katashima Laoawen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:02 am
Eh, such a controversial suject. I admit their things are short lived. I'd much rather shop online for my needs. More reliable. But their are some things like fishnets, buttons, and chains that I can't live with out and need to restock. But I guess its poserish (sp?) as well. Like many diffrent social catagories shop there, so its kind of a dark walmart if you will...Is it just me or is their clothing getting lighter?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:03 am
UraniumMonk
ugh. My girlfriend and my sister teamed up and dragged me into hot topic the other day. It seems like every time I go there, all the stuff in there is cheaper and flimsier than the last time I looked. sweatdrop

Cheaper, you say? O.o;

I do remember one time where I was like, "omghottopiciloveyou!" That was recently, when I found the Sophia EP from The Crüxshadows. That, and when I was talking about how they only have Goth-rock T-shirts for limited times, and then there was a random Siouxsie & The Banshees T-shirt there. whee  

x Socks x

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:15 pm
I like Hot Topic, but the stuff is really expensive.
I'm happy, because I got an awesome black music note belt for Christmas, that my dad got from Hot Topic. heart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:32 am
[~Lonely Dollie~]
Hope there is not already a thread about this...

Okay, so i was asking some people today "What do you think of Hot Topic?" Over half said that Hot Topic was "poser-ish". I was just wondering everyone elses thoughts on this. 3nodding

there are TONS of threads about this
-.-

but oh well

Hot Topic is an 'Alternative Clothing Store'
nothing poser about them.
they just carry a variety of clothes.
They are known to carry the brand Tripp
and other things goths would be interested in.
and yea.its just a store.other people are aLouD to go in.

but i mean
if you dont like Hot Topic dont shop there.
Thats why they have online goth stores ******** w.e else

Starfish Attack

nightwing773

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:49 am
well, hot topic I think is poser ish. cause people only really go there to get dark clothes. Some people like black clothes, but hate the dark and love talking their days away. not gothic at all I think, and we have people in there in ours that are preps cause they like the playboy bunny stuff in there. sadly. rolleyes otherwise they're really tacky, to be gothic isn't just clothes as so many people think. It's your personality. Most people think you're goth if you wear all black. a friend of mine got called goth because she wore black skintight prep pants with a black tanktop with high heels (dress heels people.) she was just dressed up, not goth. it annoys me about hot topic because hot topic just makes the population of wanna bee goths grow, and the actual goths suffer from being stuck around the puppy dog like wanna bees  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:50 pm
Eh, definitly is sometimes poserish. What i'd hate though is the stuff that they're starting to bring in that is giving the other half of people (that voted on how it's poserish) the reasons.
Not to mention the goddamn prices there for something that you yourself could most likely find anywhere else where.

Safaria

Hel Daughter of Loki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:40 pm
I don't really have an opinion about it, I mean some of the clothes are acctually nice, but I'm not one to shop there really, too expensive, and too crowded.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:17 pm
GilAskan
Hot Topic's legitimacy in the goth culture is a topic I have commonly heard debated. I think I best summed it up duing a conversation I had a few weeks ago:

"It's good to pop into CVS if you need just a few simple things (aspirin, film, pencils, etc.), but you wouldn't want to shop exclusively there, would you? No, you'd go to Miejjers, or Kroger, or Walmart. Likewise. Hot Topic is like the goth CVS. It's good to pop in for a few simple things (eyeliner, a Projekt CD, fishnets, etc.), but you couldn't shop exclusively there. The majority of the CDs are pop-punk and metal, the majority of the fashions aimed at teens who want to rebel. Good for a quick pick up, yeah, but with far better stores online (like Heavy Red, Argoth, Goth-Shop, Drac-in-a-Box, etc.), why Hot Topic?"

As for it's "goth-oscity" (how goth it really is) I'll post on that a bit later.
Good description.
3nodding
I shop there once in a while but I don't go their constantly to look like a goth.

XAngelFromYourNightmareX

XAngelFromYourNightmareX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 pm
My opinion just another store in the mall.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:45 pm
I do shop there alot, but my parents tend to 'pull me' away from there. They take me to nice stores... I only shop for black. And skulls xD  

OHEMGEEHallo

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces