Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Marijuana Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Legalize it?
  Yes
  No
View Results

The Curse

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 pm
black_wing_angel
If marijuana were universally legal, then a fair chunk of the violent crimes centered around drugs, would vanish, as marijuana is among the most heavily sought after illegal substance.

It's the safest thing out there, and legalizing it would take a chunk out of the crime industry. I say that's at least worth a shot.

It wouldn't vanish, it would be replaced.

Gangs have a demand for profits to fund their arms and their territorial conflict. They need highly profitable activity, needless to say, Wall Mart doesn't provide.

I have a theory that they will attempt to replace profits with sex slavery ('pimping'), and increasing their supplies of harder drugs.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:22 am
The Curse
black_wing_angel
If marijuana were universally legal, then a fair chunk of the violent crimes centered around drugs, would vanish, as marijuana is among the most heavily sought after illegal substance.

It's the safest thing out there, and legalizing it would take a chunk out of the crime industry. I say that's at least worth a shot.

Gangs have a demand for profits to fund their arms and their territorial conflict. They need highly profitable activity, needless to say, Wall Mart doesn't provide.

I have a theory that they will attempt to replace profits with sex slavery ('pimping'), and increasing their supplies of harder drugs.
I can imagine a campaign of legalizing everything illegal that the gangs try to sell for profit. "Oh s**t, drugs be legal? What the ******** we gon' sell now?"

Wal-Mart, ********. Actually, they'd probably just steal s**t.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:41 am
The Curse
black_wing_angel

Well, it probably would be replaced, but a lot of people only care about weed. They don't want cocaine or meth, they just want some weed. So, if they made weed legal, then that's lost profit that the dealers can't get back. They can up the sales of other drugs, and all, but hell, they can do that NOW, if they really wanted to.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:30 am
Fresnel
The Curse
black_wing_angel

I can imagine a campaign of legalizing everything illegal that the gangs try to sell for profit. "Oh s**t, drugs be legal? What the ******** we gon' sell now?"

Wal-Mart, ********. Actually, they'd probably just steal s**t.

Darn darn darn. I knew it was spelled deceptively like that, but I couldn't figure it out, I guessed wrong I suppose.  

The Curse

The Curse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 am
black_wing_angel
The Curse
black_wing_angel

Well, it probably would be replaced, but a lot of people only care about weed. They don't want cocaine or meth, they just want some weed. So, if they made weed legal, then that's lost profit that the dealers can't get back. They can up the sales of other drugs, and all, but hell, they can do that NOW, if they really wanted to.

Not necessarily.

I mean, they lose the marijuana profits, sure, but really, that's not to say that demand for prostitution and hard drugs is already being met. It may not be. They only have enough man power to fulfil a certain amount of demand. They focus on the MJ industry, eliminating that as an option means they will re-devote the manpower, this time to fulfil demand in other areas.

I just can't treat the gangs argument seriously. There are better ones out there, and I'm anti-drugs.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:34 pm
The Curse
black_wing_angel
The Curse
black_wing_angel

Not necessarily.

I mean, they lose the marijuana profits, sure, but really, that's not to say that demand for prostitution and hard drugs is already being met. It may not be. They only have enough man power to fulfil a certain amount of demand. They focus on the MJ industry, eliminating that as an option means they will re-devote the manpower, this time to fulfil demand in other areas.

I just can't treat the gangs argument seriously. There are better ones out there, and I'm anti-drugs.

Well, you're not going to get rid of the illegal activities, no matter how hard you try, but if you can at least put a dent in it. Get a few thousand simple stoners, who are not bad people, just like to get a little high off of pot, every now and then, out of jails, and then you can have more room for the REAL bad guys.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash