Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Rate the Person's Video Game Composition Above You! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 pm
Oh hey, Phantasia, good stuff! The piece begins with a melancholy woodwind melody, with a moving string line, only to be proceeded by a trumpet part, and then a totally cool empty sounding bass part. Empty sounding may sound like a harsh word, but I do mean it in a positive light, as emptiness can be effective if used right, as seen in this piece, where sadness reigns supreme, the emptiness really helps bring it out. Although the piece may not be the most liveliest, or even memorable, it does have strong emotions to it, almost as if it is angst filled depression. 7.8/10

The Ancient Temple of Yujia Isle- First Half from Culcept Second composed by Kenji Ito  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm
Hah. Even though this is a dungeon theme (or is it? The title is throwing me off), the beat and rhythm really can make you dance. Especially at the beginning. It's a very catchy song, and the chants in the song give it a tribal-esque feel. Something like what'd you see in Central and South America with the rhythmic drumming (I guess that's drumming) as well as some African tones with the chanting.

Isle feels like a jungle. Wouldn't mind jamming out there. 9/10

I'll use Binary Game from 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Song is composed by Shinji Hosoe.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:12 pm
Ooh! So this was the 999 game you mentioned awhile back in the blast Roy..

This piece sort of feels like you're in space or some kind of other world. It's like you're lost and trying to make the correct decision in order to survive.
( Even though that probably sounded kind of lame. sweatdrop )

What I like about this piece is how distanced the music sounds at times, but it can also becomes louder at times in certain moments. The piano in the background adds a nice touch to it. It really adds to the atmosphere to the darker moments of the music.

The title Binary game feels like it fits pretty well. I'll give this one a 9/10~

Let's see now.. Ah, I'll go with Castle Wall Dungeon from .Hack// It was composed by Chikayo Fukuda I believe.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 am
This was always my favorite .Hack dungeon theme, probably because out of all of them it has the most going on. Either that or it's the only one that I remember having a lot going on, because it was my favorite. (For the record I don't play .Hack anymore and I refuse to put any more money down on a series that releases one game for the price of four with such obvious padding in each. Though I still like some of the novelizations and the idea behind the first four is too cool an idea to go to waste). It feels like a dangerous castle, with those echoing synth voices and the low strings and horns. It's high and low, like echoes off castle walls. My favorite parts are when the drums and bells come in, because not only do the horns and strings swell, but it furthers that feeling of echoing largeness. I like how .hack incorporates the battle themes into their dungeon themes by adding some quicker paced percussion and then revert back to the dungeon theme without missing a beat afterwards. I always liked that. I think I'll give it a 7/10. Leaning on 8.

Apotheosis from Journey, by Austin Wintory  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm
I am still jealous of the fact that you got to play such an amazing game.

This song definitely can be broken down into several parts, each portraying a different image. I won't go into too much detail about it because that would take far too long, but it definitely has the feeling of a 'Journey'. Huh, how fitting to the game title. I particularly like how well this was orchestrated. There isn't anything negative I can say about the song. It's a very moving piece. The strings and winds and drums and everything all just work so well. I was fortunate enough to see a piece from the game played at the VGA and honestly I can see why it won so many awards. It's just an awe-inspiring game. I'm almost tempted to say that it's better than SotC in how atmospheric it is. 10/10

YO-SHI-NO from the visual novel Rewrite by Key. Composer and arranger is Orito Shinji. The English lyrics are located at the top comment. The red text is actual quotes Yoshino says in the game.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm
(Well, it's about time I got back into this thread!)

Pff... ha ha ha! I love this song. It's just so hammy and over-the-top, but it probably fits the character that it's about really well. The vocals and the upbeat background music make this tune very catchy, and hard to turn off.

10/10 for all its hammy goodness.

Now, I present to you a song! Happiness of marionette from the Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Visual Novel! The soundtrack is by Dai.  

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm
Wait a minute,they played a piece from Journey at the VGAs? And I didn't know about this? And I can't find it on youtube? Was is live? asdfasd I want to find it...
I'd have to play SotC first to compare the two, but I can safely say that I do really love the atmospheric minimalist approach. I can really sink into the experience, like I love to do...

As for your piece, ffft...

Well, the scenario you described to me sounds silly, but without that it's still pretty goofy. As for the song on its own, it's jaunty and peppy, the lower voices offset it so it sound like some sort of military fanfare, what with the piccolo tremolo and the snare drums. It's a bit generic in that regard, but it is good as a tongue-and-cheek theme. And it's just the main character saying thanks to a guy? It's not laugh-out-loud funny, probably because I don't have the context or it isn't totally my sort of thing, but it got a grin out of me. Whatever this Yoshino guy did, it must have been pretty great.

Or maybe the main character is just QUIRKY!!1!

Anywho, 7/10.

Wap, ninja'd by sue. I've gotta run right now, but I'll be back to review it later.

Corridors of Time, Chrono Trigger, by Yasunori Mitsuda  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm
(Ooops, I ninja'd you, Totoro. He he. I suppose I should rate yours to make up for it? heart )

Well, this piece is different. It has a rather simple melody, and yet the way it all comes together almost feels... otherworldly. The song gives off that "stranger in a strange land" feel. I have never played Chrono Trigger before, but I really like the way this sounds. I feel like it's music that would be played on a world map or even during some revelation or explanation.

8/10. Nothing exactly wrong with it, but it's just not "epic" in the sense that music can be.

(Now, I'll let you rate my Umineko Music. :B)  

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 pm
Okay then. Happiness of Marionette. The combination of organ, harpsichord, and a strong, more modern beat is interesting. I really like the intro, it sounds big, flamboyant, and building. It isn't an overpowering theme, though, since it does back off from time to time. I also like that it has a quieter stint towards the end to offset the grandiose organ in a way other then it backing off and letting the beat do the talking. While it is good I don't really feel much towards it. I don't know why, but perhaps because it feels a bit by the numbers at times. Like it could have used some more variation in there, aside from certain sounds going in and out, and the same beat pervading most of it. It does vary the formula a bit, but it feels sort of monotonous to me, and the variations in the dynamics aren't strong enough to offset that. 6/10.

Forest Temple from The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time by Koji Kondo  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm
Yeah, The Castle Dungeon was always my favorite place in the .hack games too. For me it was the moments in the games that started to build up whenever you entered that area. xp

(Never did get to play Quarantine though...)

Ooh. The Forest Temple... I rather like this piece. It's not my particular favorite dungeon in the game, but I still do like it. The music starts out with a few beats and while becoming faint every now and then. It's later followed by an really cool sounding echo in the background for the louder moments. It's kinda funny looking back on this when I was a bit younger, for some reason I thought it sounded like a Baboon howling in the background. (As weird as that may sound) XD

I also like the quieter moments to give the piece a little bit of atmosphere. And the title fits nicely as it does feel like a forest temple. And as I said before, It's not my favorite out there but it's still pretty nice. I'll still give it an 8/10!

This time my piece will be Wandering Warriors from Shining Force 2 composed by Motoaki Takenouchi.  

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm
Hooray for 16-bit music. I myself like those wind synths Takenouchi used for this piece. It gives this piece a rather cheery atmosphere for these wanderers to make them feel bigger than they are. It's just such a happy tune that I could easily see being reorchestrated for a more modern game title without losing too much of the original feel. It just feels so happy. 9/10

Jumper from Castle Crashers. I actually had to do some research on this game, but it turns out a number of Newgrounds artists were involved in the game (makes sense, since Tom Fulp of Newgrounds is a designer for The Behemoth who released the game). I think this song was written by someone who goes by Waterflame.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:02 pm
Glad you liked that piece Roy. I always did love Shining Force music so much. It was just one of my favorite games growing up before I knew about Srpgs. Something about them just seem so enjoyable and fun to listen to. And the games were so enjoyable~

*ahem* Anyways, now as for your piece. I rather liked it quite a bit. I love how the music jumps around and it's so very catchy to listen to. It's one of those music that gets stuck in your brain very easily. XD It somewhat reminds me of a Donkey Kong level for the wacky and quirkiness. The title does is very fitting because it's a very active and jumpy and does exactly what it wants to do. So 9/10! Nice theme.

Now, that I've recently got my mitts on one the first Disgaea games. There's one piece that has come to mind lately. So my piece will be Beautiful Round Dance, and it was composed by Tenpei Sato.  

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 pm
Haha, this does sound like a dance. A rather fast-paced dance with a lot of movements and flourishes. I myself loved the strings at the very beginning (0:00 - 0:05) as they set up the mood and from there the claps set up the tempo for the dance. The chimes/bells/sparkles/whatever they were were a nice touch throughout the song. The piano descent was also a pretty cool trick. 9/10

My song choice is Final Fury from the Sonic CD on the Sega Mega-CD/PC. At least, I believe it's called Final Fury. I've got sources claiming it to be Final Fever, or even Psycho-Egg. As for composer, I am not sure since this is a Japanese exclusive song. The NA/EU release got something a little closer to nightmare fuel.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm
This is a very interesting piece, it follows an ominous formula, and the choral (or really shrill electric guitar?) addition to the piece no doubt helps to perpetuate the feeling. What I really like however is what's going on in the background, the lush moving line which really helps keep the pace. Although it is a short piece, it compacts a lot into it, and that choral line is just great! 8.8/10

Final of Puyo Puyo composed by Hideki Abe* from Super Puyo Puyo

*Couldn't find who does the music to the SNES version of Puyo Puyo, so I went with the composer of the later series.  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm
Oh, sweet Puyo Puyo! =D I've never played any of the Puyo Puyo games before but I have seen a trailer of one of the DS games a real long time ago. Always was curious to try those games..

Now, this particular piece sounds very fast paced and edgy and I really like some video game music like that. The beginning and the way it builds up was pretty awesome. I also like the various shift in directions this music can go. As for the title, it seems like it's a final level boss kind of theme. And yeah I'd say the music fits very well! 9/10

This time I'll go with something from Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. I've really been enjoying the game so much lately! XD

My piece shall be End of Chapter~ Go! Go! Leaf and it was composed by Yuka Tsujiyoko I believe...  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff