Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
To be a little more Aussie ... *dreamy sigh* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

New poll!
  Whoop! *slides down poll*
  *mollests poll for 10g*
View Results

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:53 am
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
EmWah
As far as I know, twirl has no significant dirty meaning in the Australian language.

At least, I've never heard it as a euphamism.

Sammy, you naughty boy! xd

MissBeth -- I think it must just be a local thing, to where ever that guy who replied comes from.

Actually, he's Canadian. stare That's why I wanted to know. I pride myself on having a slight grasp on Aussie Slang and I had never heard of twirl as being anything naughty (until Scruffy came along! *laughs*). So I figured I'd ask just so I can tell my mate to get off the grass. wink

Still could be a regional thing.

And the link that bohemian_wild_child supplied is an incredible database: there are some terms there I've never heard of.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 am
WellzY
And the link that bohemian_wild_child supplied is an incredible database: there are some terms there I've never heard of.
I've heard of most of the slang on that site but I learnt a few things from it as well. 3nodding The joys of going to a Ag college where people who go there are from practically everywhere. burning_eyes

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:31 pm
The only site I'd ever heard of with Aussie Slang is this: Aussie Slang Dictionary

That's where I learned much of my vocabulary (which confuses the masses here in the Great White North, I'm proud to say! 4laugh ) I'll definitely take a gander at the one posted earlier, though. Ta!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 pm
And now after much reading (catching up) I can finally respond to all the ... well, responses ... about Stig Wemyss.

By the by, he's also the voice of Ty and Sly Tiger in Ty the Tasmanian Tiger for Playstation 2.

This is the website I found first in my initial search of anything regarding Stig: The Search for Wemyss It's also what encouraged me to ask whether he was loved or hated. You'll all see the arguing comments in there as well for and against the guy (including mine which contains Ty!).

Also, I have to do this ...

Rigor Mortis
OMG! Do like...uhh panda bears live in Australia!?
lol
j/k
One question I've always had is "does anyone know of the prime minister that fell into the ocean and just...disappeared from the history books."

You've read 'Sunburned Country' by Bill Bryson, haven't you?! I heart you! *huggles tight* And here I thought I was the only one present who's even heard of it. *sniffles and wipes away tear of joy* Thank you. Thank you. lol  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:37 am
The Great White North? I've never heard it been called that before. Remind me, are you a Canadian(anyway I spell that word it looks wrong stressed ) or a Yank? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:37 pm
bohemian_wild_child
The Great White North? I've never heard it been called that before. Remind me, are you a Canadian(anyway I spell that word it looks wrong stressed ) or a Yank? sweatdrop

*twitches at Yank* Canuck all the way. *nod nod* Or Canatralian, as Wellzy likes to call me, and I rather prefer that. 4laugh  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:14 am
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child

*twitches at Yank* Canuck all the way. *nod nod* Or Canatralian, as Wellzy likes to call me, and I rather prefer that. 4laugh

Was that me? All I remember saying, was wanting to call yuor country Canadia, not Canada.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:22 am
WellzY
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child

Was that me? All I remember saying, was wanting to call yuor country Canadia, not Canada.

WellzY
I remember you! You're the Canatralian. 3nodding

From page one of this very thread, sweety! 4laugh

And for the sake of curiosity ... why would you name it Canadia? Is it because we're similar to Oz ... just a lot colder?  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:27 am
BeMuled MissBeth
WellzY
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child

WellzY
I remember you! You're the Canatralian. 3nodding

From page one of this very thread, sweety! 4laugh

And for the sake of curiosity ... why would you name it Canadia? Is it because we're similar to Oz ... just a lot colder?

Oh right. sweatdrop

Well, it's because of the nature of the word 'Canadians'. Because you're not Canadans, like it is Canada, you should be Canadia if you're Canadians. Like Australia, Australians. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:28 pm
I say Canadia as well. More for my own amusement than for any logic xp  

King Of Ninjas

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:59 am
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child
redface *Hides* My bad sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:01 am
bohemian_wild_child
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child

*giggles* No harm done, luv. No worries. If I were really that a**l about being confused for an American, I'd really have to reconsider whether or not I was actually a Yank. *winks*

Wellzy: That makes a lot of sense. 3nodding I might just start calling my own country Canadia. See how my fellows like it. 4laugh  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

King Of Ninjas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:07 am
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child
BeMuled MissBeth
bohemian_wild_child

*giggles* No harm done, luv. No worries. If I were really that a**l about being confused for an American, I'd really have to reconsider whether or not I was actually a Yank. *winks*

Wellzy: That makes a lot of sense. 3nodding I might just start calling my own country Canadia. See how my fellows like it. 4laugh

You will get one of two reactions. The first would be amusement and possibly the person joining in on calling your country Canadia, the second would be like OMGWTFISWRONGWITHYOU scream gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:44 am
Well, KoN, all I can hope for is the former reaction. Of course, I'll just laugh at people who give me the latter. wink 4laugh

And for the general population, my next request: Explain to me the VSU and IR laws, please? What are they, and why are they bad?  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:43 am
*sigh* The IR laws are complex.

In the 60s and 70s as was common among the other western industrial worlds, workers began a union movement. In Australia, workers fought vehemently for certain rights in the work force. In effect, it basically left the workers with, in theory, equal power with the employer. This varied from place to place.

I'm not sure of the situation in Canada, but I know that in America, large unions are not permitted, and they generally only cover one location. Unions in Australia cover very broad workings catagories, such as the Health Workers Union, or the Services Union, or the Miners Union etc.

The newly introduced laws now hands a lot of power back to the Employers. A lot of working class people are scared, because they fear their hard-earned right will not be taken away. It was once nationally recognised that workers get a minimum of 4 weeks anual leave, and got payed over-time, extra on weekends, and more on Sunday. They're also entitled to a certain amount of sick-leave, and payed Union meetings.

Much of these mentioned above, though not legal, are now able to be striped away.

There's far more to it, but that's just some of it.

VSU, I forget, I think that's Student Unions, but I don't know where the V comes from. Student Unions get their funding from the students themselves, which much pay a compulsary fee every year or semester. It pays for many of the student services. It is no longer compulsary to pay this, and a lot of beneficial student services are expected to suffer because of it.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff