Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Chat thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 30 31 32 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:33 pm
I luv those BUST mags!
I also luv reading SEVENTEEN, it really spurs cool designs in my head, for drawing and knitting and maybe some sewing.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 am
Yeah, that's one thing trashy fashion mags are good for. I keep a collection of nifty poses, hair styles, and faces on hand for when I need a little extra inspiration for my drawings.  

knitting_needle_ninja

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:33 am
When you have an 8+ hour drive ahead of you, and you finished all the books you brought with you on the drive to disneyland, and "She's the Man" is whats on the DVD player (again... just like on the drive down and the whole week there... sweatdrop )... and theres a large pile of fashion magazines in front of you... They start to become amusing...

I use them for inspiration for doll clothing, often. Alot of the things in them, i'd never wear, i'd never pay $20 for, let alone the $50 it costs. But my Niamh would wear them. My Niamh would love it. My Niamh only costs $1 to get all the material for. And thats if its expensive cloth.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:20 pm
biggrin Exactly! ^^

NightRainSpirit

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:24 am
I haven't made doll cloths for a while. I enjoyed it though. I made a pattern for an 18" doll kimono, but never got around to making it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:05 pm
knitting_needle_ninja
I haven't made doll cloths for a while. I enjoyed it though. I made a pattern for an 18" doll kimono, but never got around to making it.
I'm trying to figure out how to make my 27cm doll a kimono... i don't want a yukata, i want a kimono....

In other news.... Any ideas on what my junior prom dress should look like? My girlfriend is being forced to go, so i'm going and so i need a dress. Its a ways away, but i'm probably gonna end up making it, and i dunno what kinda thing is normal for junior prom. i mean, is there a formality difference between junior prom and senior prom?  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:51 am
Everyone just wore formals, regardless of the year at my school. You can get pretty creative with it though. My junior prom dress was a dark blue silk manderine dress with silver embroidery. My senior prom dress was just as fancy, but a lot more fun.I found an off the should royal purple velvet dress at an antique store for $8, and decided I wanted to wear it to prom. It was only knee length though, and I wanted it longer, so I added black satin covered in tulle to the hem, making it floor length with a short train. I also sewed silk flowers around the bottom, and added a rhinestone pin. The total cost of the dress was less than $15, because I used remnants and got the "dead head" flowers that had fallen off the stems in a craft store. If you're not thrilled about prom, that's deffinately the way to go.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:25 pm
Hmmm.. i hadn't thought of getting a cheap dress and altering it. I'll have to look into that.

Its not really that i'm unenthused about prom... its just... we weren't planning on going to junior prom. and now we have to. sweatdrop

Also, any ideas on how to get this sort of a look? i love the dress, but i can't afford it. or anything close to it. My favorite features are the skirt itself and the way the top half interacts with the skirt, the kinda 'swoosh' ness of it... *thinks she might should just make a thread for this*  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:34 pm
Check out the pattern books at your local fabric store. I've seen similar designs before.

ninja Beware the satin. Satin is the devil incarnate for beginner sewers.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:21 pm
LadyAnubis
Check out the pattern books at your local fabric store. I've seen similar designs before.

ninja Beware the satin. Satin is the devil incarnate for beginner sewers.

Even fabrics extremely similar to satin make you want to die unless you know what you're doing.  

VP Club Freakin Justice

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:12 pm
Mikono
I'm trying to figure out how to make my 27cm doll a kimono... i don't want a yukata, i want a kimono....
The pattern I used could be adapted for either one. All you'd have to do is lengthen the sleeves, lower the hem, and use a fancier material.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:43 pm
knitting_needle_ninja
Mikono
The pattern I used could be adapted for either one. All you'd have to do is lengthen the sleeves, lower the hem, and use a fancier material.

ooooo..... *is curious as to how you went about making your pattern*

Ugh... satin's hard to work with? things that look like satin are hard to work with? ugh... *kills self with imagined prom dress*

I think i will go looking for a cheaper dress to modify... seems like it'd be easier then making one, unless i can find a pattern...  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:26 pm
Mikono
knitting_needle_ninja
Mikono

ooooo..... *is curious as to how you went about making your pattern*

Ugh... satin's hard to work with? things that look like satin are hard to work with? ugh... *kills self with imagined prom dress*

I think i will go looking for a cheaper dress to modify... seems like it'd be easier then making one, unless i can find a pattern...

Satin slips quite a lot, so it's a pain to sew satin to satin. If you're working with a different material at the same time, then it tends to stick to it a little better, like when i was sewing satin to velvet for my prom dress. Just use a lot of pins, and make sure they're silk pins so they won't leave holes.

What you need to know is that I made two kimono for myself, first, so I was familiar with how it went together, and the shapes the patern pieces were supposed to be, so all I really had to do was measure the doll and then shrink them down.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:56 pm
*is back*

s**t happens.  

I be me
Vice Captain

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 pm
s'okay.

Just keep it away from the fan. xd  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 30 31 32 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games