Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are ALL goths depressed? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 am
*WARNING TO ALL THREAD USERS*

The GotGoth?Guild does not tolerate discrimination. We are a Guild that promotes understanding, and wishes to undermine long-standing stereotypes about the Goth subculture. Stereotyping the perceived modern "Emo culture" is self-destructive; it largely perpetuates the stereotype that goths are shallow, catty, exclusive, and pretentious. It is also highly hypocritical to seek the destruction of stereotyping against goths while simultaneously perpetuating stereotypes about emo. If these sort of comments continue, this thread will be locked.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 am
GilAskan

The GotGoth?Guild does not tolerate discrimination. We are a Guild that promotes understanding, and wishes to undermine long-standing stereotypes about the Goth subculture. Stereotyping the perceived modern "Emo culture" is self-destructive; it largely perpetuates the stereotype that goths are shallow, catty, exclusive, and pretentious. It is also highly hypocritical to seek the destruction of stereotyping against goths while simultaneously perpetuating stereotypes about emo. If these sort of comments continue, this thread will be locked.

In all fairness, I own an emo guild on here and moderate an emo guild on another site.... and to be fair the stereotypes in emo are very much the majority.  

Rellik San
Crew

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:30 pm
Rellik San
In all fairness, I own an emo guild on here and moderate an emo guild on another site.... and to be fair the stereotypes in emo are very much the majority.
Can't that be said of most subcultures? Someone finds out it exists, and while still not knowing much about it; decide that they like what they know and they want to be a part of it. They copy what it is they saw, enforcing the sterotype, and in time either learn more and change, learn more and decide they like what they knew in the first place better, or never learn and continue working towards a false ideal.
In this way, whether something is true to the original idea or not it becomes the majority; because it is best-known.
I have no friggin idea what the point I was trying to make was. Sorry to have wasted your time.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:51 pm
no not all goths are sad all the time and emos are the sad all the time .  

pain of lust

ii-See-Stars-x

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:21 pm
actually i think goths are much more happier then most preps because they're different, and usually they're proud. and i know this is kinda off topic, but emos are really nice too. Usually they're not that depressing, for the same reason i think. I just think the whole thing about goths and emos being depressed is a stereotype.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 pm
Roxi780
actually i think goths are much more happier then most preps because they're different, and usually they're proud. and i know this is kinda off topic, but emos are really nice too. Usually they're not that depressing, for the same reason i think. I just think the whole thing about goths and emos being depressed is a stereotype.
How exactly did you reach this conclusion of yours?  

Henneth Annun
Captain

ChiRubian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:52 am
I am living proof that not all goths are depressed.
Really though, it varies from person to person, regardless of whatever subculture they've been lumped into, whether it be goth, emo, nerd, or cheerleader. It's just a matter of how the individual expresses themselves.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:36 pm
I'd say I'm happier than most people. Sometimes I get upset about things that other people wouldn't, but I also don't get upset about things that other people do. For example, if someone refuses to let me go outside on a nice warm night with stars and a brilliant moon I might get very sad or if a small child isn't getting along with their over controlling parents and the child cries i tend to sympathize with the child more and get sad instead of thinking he or she is a brat, but I don't get sad if that cute boy didn't look at me in class or I didn't get invited to that popular girl's drinking party or whatever.
Okay this was a silly reply. I'd say we get upset about different things than the mundanes do, but everyone feels emotion. There that puts it better.  

NewAgeAntique

LaceyBones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:35 am
No, I'm a very happy person!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 am
I kind of feel guilty about the fact I am medically depressed and a goth, and I'd love to stop being depressed but despite the theory happiness is a choice I can't seem to make it work that way. I don't want to stop listening to the music I listen to and stop dressing like I do to avoid a stereotype, that just feels wrong.
Same reason I feel guilty being a goth and a pagan, I don't want to enforce a stereotype, but they're both such a part of me I can't give up either. On the plus side, at least I don't wear velvet capes, body glitter, and bodices all the time. I see so many people like that at pagan prides, usually wearing makeup too young for them, and it's kinda embarrassing.
It kind of raises the question of goths aging gracefully.

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

the real kooki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:24 pm
no  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 am
No, not all goths are depressed. Most are very happy campers, thank you very much. The happiest, hyperest, scariest (due to the happieness) person I know is a goth. She's also an amazingly talented person. ^-^

And I want to clarify something on emos:
They are not all depressed, either. Not all cut, and not all have bad lives.
I have alot of friends who dress emo. One of my best freinds dresses scene, and she used to be a goth (she just has a thing with vibrant colours, xD). Most of them are just as happy as us goths.  

SADERR

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 am
GilAskan

I agree. Emos seem to get as much grief if not more than we do, why should we, as a subculture who should know better than anyone not to, take part in this? They have a darker sense of beauty, just like us. They find beauty in broken trust, tragedy, forbidden love, and in the simpleness of life: both color and black. If anything, we should love them as a close relative to our subculture, beacause emo is basically the younger sister of goth.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 am
The Goth Apple
I kind of feel guilty about the fact I am medically depressed and a goth, and I'd love to stop being depressed but despite the theory happiness is a choice I can't seem to make it work that way. I don't want to stop listening to the music I listen to and stop dressing like I do to avoid a stereotype, that just feels wrong.
Same reason I feel guilty being a goth and a pagan, I don't want to enforce a stereotype, but they're both such a part of me I can't give up either. On the plus side, at least I don't wear velvet capes, body glitter, and bodices all the time. I see so many people like that at pagan prides, usually wearing makeup too young for them, and it's kinda embarrassing.
It kind of raises the question of goths aging gracefully.

It's ok ^^ there is just as much variation in goth as there is in mainstream when it comes to its members. You were made an individual person, and you have a right to this. You can't really help your depression, sweetie, you didn't make the choice to have this little issue. As for being a pagan, what should it matter if you were anything else? I think everyone who has any standing belief has to put up with alot, adding goth to that, no matter what you believe, never really helps your cause. Religion and fashion, except for religious wear, are not bound by chains. You shouldn't feel bad: you are just you. Don't pay attention to the stereotypes, in fact, forget that word exists: you are just you. And if it makes you feel any better, I know my God feels the same way, and he loves you just as you are, you don't have to do or be anything that you personally do not want to. Thus the beauty of individuality ^^ Also, you sadly can't choose how other people dress or do their make up. I'm sad to say several goths make me feel embarassed, and more so, several of them are my friends. I think you just need to see that they are beloved, too. Maybe a kind word or two to some about this and the issue of appearence could be appreciated. Besides, what harm could it do?  

Angel of the End

The_First_God_Zero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:22 am
Im goth and Im rarely depressed unless something happens in my life to make me so.

Emo is a genre of music, and not a person..  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff