Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

GreenLungsToking

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:57 pm
i read i like sci/fi and fantasy i also like manga of course  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:21 pm
XWraith_LordX
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?

It depends on the quality of literature published in any given year. If nothing suites my fancy, it might hinder my desire to venture to the various bookstores around the city. Also, many factors might contribute to there being less of a presence:
Time
Finances
Travel
Preferences
Weather
Furthermore, the age/generation of adults that grew up with nothing more than a good book is depleting. With various electronic media, books might not seem such an advantageous way to spend what little time you have with your life.  

ieatyourtclol

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:28 am
I've loved to read since I was two and by the time I was in kindergarten, I was reading teen and adult books. It's my mom's influence. She used to read to me when I was younger.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:26 pm
OKay i don't play an instrument but i used to play trumpet and piano but those skills have long since dwindled but i would love to learn the piano agian suck a great instrument, but i digress.

Yeah i read alot actually yeah i'm a big fan of manga but i love classics i've read all three books in the divine comedy by Dante Allgeri (Dante's Inferno, Purgetorio, Paridisio) I've read alot of Shakesphear, i've read the orginal book for phantom of the opera before it was an opera, i've read dr. faustus, and probably one of the more interesting books i've read was a traslation of Mein Compt yeah don't ask i like historical books i'm fasinated by philosphy both new and old and i just want to know what the keys to past show us about the modern world (history geek) but yeah oh yeah Paradise lost is a good one di vinci code was okay movie blew ANGELS AND DEMONS WAS BETTER but yeha i'm babbeling  

wolfwoodzcross

xXCarpeOmniaXx

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:32 am
I love reading. I love buying my books from E-bay or using inter-library loan. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:50 am
to answer your questions about reading i love to read i just need to finish the books i got at home first befor i go to the book store and get some more i got like a half a dozen book to read

your second question well more like statement i love school yea sometime i hate it because the teachers won't listen to you some times but i love all that stuff

and i play guitar and piano i've been playing piano for 5 years yes i make some songs guitar i've been playing for two years i'm not to good but getting there yes i do make song on that too  

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

Toast Is Me

Wheezing Smoker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:03 am
For some reason, whenever I walk into a bookstore, I always end up walking out with a pile of nonfiction books...

I tend to read books about evil people, or survival...or travel....Any questions about serial killers, I'm the one to ask!  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 am
I read scifi, romance, horror, and mystery novels... not only that I read manga, and anime.....  

Devils_lilboy

Asher_Scree

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:09 pm
I'm actually called 'nerdy' equally or more often then people hiss 'goth' in an unpleasant manner. Like Isel, I'm an adorer of textbooks. I love encyclopedias (I've read through twenty front to back) and I immerse myself constantly in philosophy, nonfiction crimes book, and fantasy. And, I enjoy writing essays. -shivers at her own geekiness-

edit- And I can't touch an instrument without making some dreadful noise, but I do write songs occasionally.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:16 pm
i read a book a day. mostly. sometimes its longer. but yes twice a week i spend hours in borders...or try to. and yes i play the cello mostly.  

Paynes_Demise

Katra Agrotera

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:13 pm
I have over 200 books and I get at least one a week. So I read alot biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:36 pm
Asher_Scree
I'm actually called 'nerdy' equally or more often then people hiss 'goth' in an unpleasant manner. Like Isel, I'm an adorer of textbooks. I love encyclopedias (I've read through twenty front to back) and I immerse myself constantly in philosophy, nonfiction crimes book, and fantasy. And, I enjoy writing essays. -shivers at her own geekiness-

edit- And I can't touch an instrument without making some dreadful noise, but I do write songs occasionally.

The answer to why people think being called "goth" is an insult eludes me.

It's okay, I got nominated for some award for this history essay I wrote. As for the instument part, it's cool that you write songs.

I'm so excited, I'm FINNALY reading the Anne Rice books I've heard so much about!

sweatdrop I don't have the time to read all these posts....gak!  

Henneth Annun
Captain

KoRnfucius

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:11 pm
I must confess I don't read as much as I used to. I used to read about a book a week, sometimes more. But lately I haven't found anything that piques my interest. I'll pick up something and it'll be good in the beginning but then I find it a chore to finish. (I never quit books, no matter how bad, I don't know why.) Sadly the only thing I can get into is Anne Rice. I love how she writes, so descriptive, and the language is amazing.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:57 pm
I once read a book called The Wheat Field. I don't remember who wrote it, but it is to this day my favorite. Piercing The Darkness by Katherine Ramsland and Xenogenesis by Octavia E. Butler were also very good. The Wheat Field is a murder mystery. Edge of your seat, can't put it down type of book. Piercing The Darkness is like a documentry. It goes into great detail of vampires through time. Xenogenesis is a sci fi, about what could happen would the world ends. Very intresting.
And that just about sums up my favorites.  

fourstrings

ringwraith10

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:01 am
*raises hand*

I read.

smile

And I used to play clarinet... but I haven't played for a few years, now.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games