Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nax is back

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:12 pm
Catcheen
nax is back
Well I can slip. However, do I put the yarn in front by sliding it between the two needles before i slip, after I slip? Thats what confuses me! sweatdrop

Before *smile*

And if I'm correct, after you slip the stitch, go ahead and put the yarn in the back again.

Are you making socks? It sounds like you're turning a heel.

No. Psh, I'm far from making socks yet! sweatdrop I'm just making (or attempting to make) a wristband with two different colors.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:15 pm
nax is back
No. Psh, I'm far from making socks yet! sweatdrop I'm just making (or attempting to make) a wristband with two different colors.

Ahhh, gotcha!  

Catcheen
Crew

ladyleprechaun13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:34 am
What's the best stitch to use on a felting project?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:06 pm
ladyleprechaun13
What's the best stitch to use on a felting project?

Well, I guess it depends on how you want the finished product to look. Most felted projects using a plied yarn have a teeny bit of stitch definition even after multiple washings. I like stockinette for that. Also how thick do you want the finished product? Garter tends to be a big thicker. Also take shrinkage into account. It always seems that garter shrinks more height-wise than stockinette for me.

My BEST advice is to make a little swatch of each, felt them, and see what works for your needs better. Different animal fibers felt differently. Different brands of the same fiber felt differently. Heck, different colors of the same brand even felt differently. Making a couple swatches might end up saving you a bunch of time (and disappointment) in the long run.

Now that I've gotten side-tracked... to answer your question, there's no "best" stitch. *grin* Feel free to use whatever works for your needs.  

Catcheen
Crew

wynter_myst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:53 am
I'm having problem with these instructions...

Quote:
Cast on 16 sts. K 1st row. In the 2nd row, K 10 sts and turn (leaving 6 sts "unknitted"). 3rd row K (this row is shorter now).

Does this mean that the cast on row is not the 1st row?
And I really don't understand the part as well...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:47 am
wynter_myst
I'm having problem with these instructions...

Quote:
Cast on 16 sts. K 1st row. In the 2nd row, K 10 sts and turn (leaving 6 sts "unknitted"). 3rd row K (this row is shorter now).

Does this mean that the cast on row is not the 1st row?
And I really don't understand the part as well...

I know this sounds weird, but have faith in the instructions. Do exactly what they say. When you're leaving those 6 stitches unknitted, you're turning in the middle of the row and leaving them on their needle. For the sake of the next row, pretend they don't exist. What you're doing is called a short row (for obvious reasons) and is used in shaping. With short rows, you can even make a knit circle on straight needles.

Gosh, I hope this makes sense. Somewhere, along the lines you'll knit those six stitches and you'll have a curve. You won't be ignoring them forever; just a little bit.  

Catcheen
Crew

wynter_myst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:29 pm
Catcheen
I know this sounds weird, but have faith in the instructions. Do exactly what they say. When you're leaving those 6 stitches unknitted, you're turning in the middle of the row and leaving them on their needle. For the sake of the next row, pretend they don't exist. What you're doing is called a short row (for obvious reasons) and is used in shaping. With short rows, you can even make a knit circle on straight needles.

Gosh, I hope this makes sense. Somewhere, along the lines you'll knit those six stitches and you'll have a curve. You won't be ignoring them forever; just a little bit.

Thank you, it makes a lot more sense now~  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:26 pm
I am thinking of doing a scarf. And I have some yarn I would like to use but I want to make sure I have the right amount before I start. This is what it says.

2 balls Cameo by Crystal Palace Yarns - #0211 Guacamole
80% merino wool/20% nylon
77 yards/50 grams

Would that be 77 yards all together? Or 77 yards per ball? The yarn I have measures 164 yards. I feel I have nothing to worry about, but i want to make sure first.  

nax is back

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 pm
nax is back
I am thinking of doing a scarf. And I have some yarn I would like to use but I want to make sure I have the right amount before I start. This is what it says.

77 yards/50 grams

Would that be 77 yards all together? Or 77 yards per ball? The yarn I have measures 164 yards. I feel I have nothing to worry about, but i want to make sure first.
It means 77 yards per ball and you need 2 balls. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:02 am
Peppermint Elf
nax is back

77 yards/50 grams

It means 77 yards per ball and you need 2 balls. 3nodding

Ok, thank you! I have enough then!  

nax is back

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm
When trying to make the Knitted Kitty (the one in the tutorials) how do you sew together the body part and then end it? aka How do you end darning the body part?

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 am
Clear Bubble
When trying to make the Knitted Kitty (the one in the tutorials) how do you sew together the body part and then end it? aka How do you end darning the body part?

Thanks!

Honestly, I didn't do anything fancy, I made tiny whip-stitches. I left a hole to stuff and then continued whip-stitching the hole up. Seaming garter stitch has never been my strong suit, but if you want to see the proper way to do it, see if you can find "seaming" or "mattress stitch" in a knitting how-to book. There's tons of places to find stockinette seaming online, but I haven't found a garter tutorial.  

Catcheen
Crew

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:38 pm
Catcheen
Clear Bubble

Thanks!

Honestly, I didn't do anything fancy, I made tiny whip-stitches. I left a hole to stuff and then continued whip-stitching the hole up. Seaming garter stitch has never been my strong suit, but if you want to see the proper way to do it, see if you can find "seaming" or "mattress stitch" in a knitting how-to book. There's tons of places to find stockinette seaming online, but I haven't found a garter tutorial.

Thanks so much! smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:53 am
I made this really cool knitted bracelet (sorry for my spelling it's almost 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet) and I made it out of hemp cord. Yeah! It even has beads on it. My question is is there any way to block or is my creative venter over or my dream of a great looking piece of knitted jelwery just out of my reach????  

AccentualWolf

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces