Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Any actual vampires out there? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 am
Draco Vampir
A delusion cannot be shared by hundreds of thousands of people.
Christianity has anywhere between 1.5 billion to 2.1 billion members.
Scientology has several thousand members worldwide.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 am
Infection XIII
Draco Vampir
A delusion cannot be shared by hundreds of thousands of people.
Christianity has anywhere between 1.5 billion to 2.1 billion members.
Scientology has several thousand members worldwide.

good points. The first was used as a tool for power under the guise of "god wills it" for centuries, and the second was created by a science fiction writer who was quoted as saying "the absolute path to wealth and power is to start a religion". It's a sad critique of humanity that we fall for a lot of BS just to make someone else wealthy and powerful.

an even better analogy would be the US economy....  

Keevan Draco

Draco Vampir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:44 pm
Christianity has only maintained it's hold through fear and ignorance. It's a religion which would have died out long ago had it not eliminated and defamed the cultures it was spread to. It's all right there in history. Christianity's hold on people is not because of some delusion, it's because of fear and the belief of the one way ideology.
Scientology is a brain washing pyramid scheme created by a half insane ***** who also claimed himself to be the beast of the earth spoken of in the book of revelations from the bible. It is dying out slowly because of the lulzy as s**t anonymous protests. Again, it isn't spread through delusion, it's spread through fear. This time it's the fear of unhappiness. If you've ever spoken to Scientologists it quickly becomes evident that most of them are very unhappy and very confused, especially those who are part OT III, seeing as so many people know things that their doctrine tells them should have killed those people(reading OT III before taking the other courses is supposed to kill a person by pneumonia). THey're also afraid because after a little while in Scientology you're disconnected from your friends and non Scientologist family so that you become entirely reliant upon the orgs. People who leave Scientology have no idea how to handle themselves in the world.

So you have one religion that maintains it's hold mostly due to the fear of hell, and you have one pyramid scheme/brainwashing cult that maintains it's hold due to fear of unhappiness and alienation.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:01 pm
Draco Vampir
Christianity has only maintained it's hold through fear and ignorance. It's a religion which would have died out long ago had it not eliminated and defamed the cultures it was spread to. It's all right there in history.

Or not.  

zz1000zz
Crew

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm
de⋅lu⋅sion
  /dɪˈluʒən/ [di-loo-zhuhn]
noun
1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

Once again you've managed to miss the point entirely.
You know, you're getting really good at that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:21 pm
Draco Vampir
Christianity has only maintained it's hold through fear and ignorance. It's a religion which would have died out long ago had it not eliminated and defamed the cultures it was spread to. It's all right there in history. Christianity's hold on people is not because of some delusion, it's because of fear and the belief of the one way ideology.
Scientology is a brain washing pyramid scheme created by a half insane ***** who also claimed himself to be the beast of the earth spoken of in the book of revelations from the bible. It is dying out slowly because of the lulzy as s**t anonymous protests. Again, it isn't spread through delusion, it's spread through fear. This time it's the fear of unhappiness. If you've ever spoken to Scientologists it quickly becomes evident that most of them are very unhappy and very confused, especially those who are part OT III, seeing as so many people know things that their doctrine tells them should have killed those people(reading OT III before taking the other courses is supposed to kill a person by pneumonia). THey're also afraid because after a little while in Scientology you're disconnected from your friends and non Scientologist family so that you become entirely reliant upon the orgs. People who leave Scientology have no idea how to handle themselves in the world.

So you have one religion that maintains it's hold mostly due to the fear of hell, and you have one pyramid scheme/brainwashing cult that maintains it's hold due to fear of unhappiness and alienation.

But aren't you brainwashing us too?

By saying believe what I believe or you're an idiot, you're no better than christianity over riding the belief systems of others. You're basically just as bad, infact worse, then that you hate, because you're a hypocrite.

If people find happiness in it and so long as they do not teach it as science, does it affect you? No it damn well doesn't, so stop being pissy and attacking religious beliefs because YOU don't like them.

You ******** d**k.  

Rellik San
Crew

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:27 pm
((thank you Rellik San, thank you Infection XIII))  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:47 pm
Angel of the End
((thank you Rellik San, thank you Infection XIII))

I quote Angel on this one.
This is simply preposterous.

I am not a Christian, but I accept it just as likely as my beliefs, and all the others. However, it still works well as an example. Just because multiple people believe in something doesn't make it true.
Billions of children believe in Santa Clause. Sure, there's the spirit of christmas -- the warmth in our hearts. Does Saint Nick exist today as a physical being? No. Belief does not make something true. It simply makes it.. a belief. No more no less.

However, Christianity has the Bible and millions of other historic relics.
Santa Clause has ACTUAL historic being, and millions of books.
You have...Bram Stroker?
Get real, end the LARP.  

SADERR

Milo-Bveyele

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 am
I have one question for everyone out there who's fighting so hard to prove that while believing in a religious figure is Ok believing in vampires is not. i honestly don't see how ones mind can be open to one and not the other. It's really more of a request than a question.
Show me. Bring me evidence.
Can anyone out there prove that everything the bible says is indeed the truth, that there are no omissions, no twisted words. Can you prove that it was not written to be fiction or history's first scam?
Better yet can anyone of you fighting here against the possibility of vampires prove that Jesus exists/existed as an actual being rather than an icon of belief.
really I doubt that you can.
The bible is a book, and if you throw it in with all the other millions of books out there Jesus and God, they're fictional characters as well.

let people believe what they want to believe, frankly i think those claiming to be vampire are far less annoying that those who claim to follow the Lord. at least they're not shoving their beliefs down your throat on every street corner and asking for your money to further their goals.

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Simply because you do not have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that it doesn't exist." -that guy on The Boondocks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:45 am
You're not very bright, are you Milo?

The point that Draco made was that if thousands believe in something, it can't be a delusion.
To which I replied with census statistics of two completely different organized belief systems.
My point was implying that it is absolutely possible that both these belief systems are completely false, yet millions do believe in these two completely separate faiths; thus completely destroying his argument.

No one said, or even implied for that matter, that believing in any religious pantheon is any more plausible than believing in the existence of vampires, vampirism, or psychic abilities.

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

Satan on Speed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:16 pm
I have a blood fetish- my boyfriend and I practice blood-letting with eachother, with safety procautions of course. I actually plan on getting certified in phlebotomy, which should make this even more...interesting, and hopefully safe. I do occasionally get cravings for it, but that could be chalked up to an iron deficiancy which is possible. I also prefer night-time, have fair vision in the dark, excellent hearing, and quick reflexes.

If I fall under the category of vampire, so be it.

But I don't catch fire in sunlight and i'd shoot myself if I sparkled- I am partially native-american so I fight to keep my chalky complexion, I'm frail physically, no fangs aside from my custom fit Scarecrows, and I heal rather slowly.

Or maybe i'm just an eccentric woman instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:36 pm
Infection XIII

The point that Draco made was that if thousands believe in something, it can't be a delusion.
To which I replied with census statistics of two completely different organized belief systems.
My point was implying that it is absolutely possible that both these belief systems are completely false, yet millions do believe in these two completely separate faiths; thus completely destroying his argument.

No one said, or even implied for that matter, that believing in any religious pantheon is any more plausible than believing in the existence of vampires, vampirism, or psychic abilities.

actually someone did. *shrug* but what do i know I'm "not that bright"  

Milo-Bveyele

SADERR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:18 am
Milo-Bveyele
Infection XIII

I happen to be guilty as charged in this one. But that was just another example to Draco, so not necisarily an absolte truth as a short-thought example.
Infection has done nothing wrong in your accusations. She has made a perfectly fine, science explained and supported answer.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:13 am
Wow. I just popped in for a moment to see what folks thought about vamps, and here I find a huge religious debate instead. O___o;;;;

I tend to agree that, if one's mind is open to one hugely incredible idea, that one's mind should also be open to other ideas...to a point. Some of us have had experiences with the Spiritual Realm that affected us so deeply and so dramatically that we can't, in good conscience, doubt it at all. [At least, that's been -my- experience with the Spiritual Realm. I dunno about anyone else.]

As for vamps as in the traditional blood-sucking, sun-allergic immortals, I would -love- to discover that they are real, but I have my doubts. For the record, I'd also love to discover that faeries, unicorns, dragons, and all other manner of fantastic creatures are/were real, but I don't think this world will ever reveal that.

I would still be in doubt, but open to, the idea of the Spiritual, if it hadn't run me over like a speeding locomotive. -_-;;; [When one gets torn apart by a runaway train, one stops questioning whether or not the train is real. cool ]  

Midnite Blue Moon 888

Fluffy Vampire

9,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Milo-Bveyele

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 am
Jonathonn
Milo-Bveyele
Infection XIII

I happen to be guilty as charged in this one. But that was just another example to Draco, so not necessarily an absolute truth as a short-thought example.
Infection has done nothing wrong in your accusations. She has made a perfectly fine, science explained and supported answer.

I never directed my post to Infection, It was quite general actually, asking anyone who believed that there is a god but called vampire believers crazy, ect. why they could believe in one and not the other when there is essentially the same amount of proof on the existence of both. If i have to say my post is directed at anyone it would have to be towards Metranil Vavin. Who by saying "Wait, so now this delusional vampire bullshit is akin to a religious belief? Gimme a ******** break." implied that one is more valid than the other.
Infection replied as though I directed the comment to those that were engaged in her debate, I read what they were saying and I know my original comment doesn't go with the points that they were making, hence the fact I never quoted any of them or directed it their way.
I will admit though that I did allow some of my irritation at others who have posted on other vampire threads and claimed legitimacy for one while putting down the other get to me.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff